1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Super Nebula & Pappy's Dark bottle release

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by guajolote, Jan 15, 2013.

1. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2010

How do you know you lost?
  2. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

How about a "take a number" system. This seems like it might make things less hectic for you guys, cut down on complaints of cutting, and allow those who show up early to dip out of line to use the restroom or get something on tap without creating a sense of cutting in line? Just a friendly suggestion-take it or leave it.
  3. Will these make it to any other bottle shops in PDX?
  4. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (300) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

A good suggestion, looking into it.
  5. Never got an email today.
  6. suncrust

suncrust Savant (295) Washington Apr 17, 2011

Cellar Stash was done in this fashion this year and worked super smooth.
  7. boralyl

boralyl Savant (315) Oregon Apr 17, 2008

No, Block 15 releases only happen at one location in PDX.
  8. pintplease

pintplease Zealot (90) Oregon Dec 20, 2008

My wife won one of the SNs, which is especially great because it is one of her favorite beers. She is super excited. I believe a friend from Seattle, who goes to every B15 release, won one of the Pappy's.
  9. Anybody wanna trade their 3L???? :D
  10. OakedCanuck

OakedCanuck Initiate (0) Washington Jun 23, 2009

Block 15.
  11. So true. Are you going to the release? Or PtY again this year? :)
  12. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (365) Alaska Apr 28, 2012

Have some friends that went down today to try and pick some bottles up, and they're already gone.... My connection is out of town for the PDX release. No delicioustown for me this year...
  13. Shmeal

Shmeal Savant (495) Oregon Nov 9, 2009

Anyone know how long it took to sell out? I feel like it was an hour, but i'm not positive.
  14. oregone

oregone Savant (365) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

Pretty sure it took a couple/few at least. People were still buying bottles from the bar at noon when we left.
  15. The Les Caves brunch was awesome, and was definitely the best bottle release I've been to. Eating french toast with bourbon custard and pulled pork pancakes, while ordering bottles, was great.
    Lordkrystic likes this.
  16. Reino

Reino Aficionado (245) Oregon Aug 30, 2007

Thanks for the kind words. This release seemed especially smooth from the Caves' side of things. Now if I can remember to get my Friday closing shift covered for the March 2nd release, you'll have a more chipper beertender come Saturday morning :). See you at the Hop and Vine release!
  17. goodwillipa

goodwillipa Disciple (50) Oregon Jan 27, 2013

The Block 15 side of things opened at 10:30 or so. Was happy they opened early since I missed out on Les Caves reservations (won't make that mistake again.) I was pleased to be able to order the bourbon barrel matured sampler and the bourbon bacon burger. They sold out of Super Nebula at 11:19. Not entirely sure when the Pappy's sales ended, but it wasn't long after. I'm sure the brunch buyers bought a lot of the allotments, but even waiting in the other line it was a smooth, delicious, tasty release.
  18. I'm surprised how fast Super Nebula sold out. It didn't seem like it was that busy at the beginning of the day (though I'm sure the Les Caves people like me did a bang up job of knocking out 30 cases), but I'm sure I missed the rush when I was eating breakfast at 10:30ish, too.
  19. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

I ordered a Super Nebula on nitro at brunch but was too hungover to drink it.

Ultimate fail :(

time to reexamine my life choices...
  20. oregone

oregone Savant (365) Oregon Jul 2, 2008

You were hungover because you drank too much of it the night before.
    The only bad choice was giving in to the pain.

Edit: the glass of Pappy 20 may not have been the best choice in nightcap.
  21. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Any more information about the release event at Hop & Vine on 2/17? Turns out that I'll be in town on the 17th, and should have no problem making it over to the H&V that morning. From past experience, what time does one need to get to the event in order to be certain of obtaining whatever the allotment is?

Thanks!

(P.S. I'm really excited about this event, as it's the first one I'll be attending as a new [once again] resident of Portland!)
    franklinn likes this.
  22. Gobigvt7

in a nutshell:
    Doors at 11. Bottles on sale at 12noon.
    $20 admission to bar gets tasting glass and 8 tokens. No admission required for people just interested in bottles or not drinking, but glass/tokens will be required for any draft purchases. Add'l tokens=$2 (Draft 'pricing' below). Admission/Tokens are CASH ONLY.
    Bottles will be distributed by taking numbers in the shop in the order of arrival, at which point you can choose which bottles you want. Limit 2 per person (max 1 of super nebula). Bottles can be picked up at any time after noon, so you don't have to sit in line for an hour and can instead eat/drink/bemerry to your heart's content. Bottle sales are not cash restrictive. Pappy's=$15 SuperNeb=$16

TAPLIST:
    Pappy's Dark *
    Super Nebula *
    The Demon's Farm *
    Golden Canary #
    Ferme de la' Ville Provision ^
    Wandelpad ^
    Alpha IPA ^
    Wonka's Wit ^

^ 4oz/1token - 12oz/2 tokens
    * 4oz/1token - 12oz/3 tokens
    # 4oz/2tokens – 12oz/4 tokens
  23. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Savant (295) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Awesome! Glad too see you're going with the "take a number" system. This will hopefully be way less stressful for everyone. Are the taster glasses souvenirs, or do you keep them? Either way I'm looking forward to this!
  24. Gobigvt7

You keep them!
  25. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (190) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Just making sure i got this right for bottle sales. There is a 2 bottle max but only one can be Super Nebula? So I can buy either get 2 Pappys Dark or 1 each of Pappys dark and Super Nebula?
    Gobigvt7 likes this.
  26. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

surprised how low the limits are.
  27. jefeld

jefeld Aficionado (185) Illinois Mar 31, 2010

any chance this can be doubled before the release?:)
  28. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Savant (330) Oregon Oct 23, 2009

I don't see those limits increasing. They did 1 per person last year and people were still shut out.
  29. DimensionX

DimensionX Savant (325) Oregon Oct 1, 2010

If memory serves there were only 89 cases of Super Neb produced and most of that was sold at the brewery release.

Can't wait till the 17th!
  30. John_M

John_M Moderator (1,025) Oregon Oct 25, 2003 Staff Member

Much obliged. This is very helpful.

Looks like the GF will be doing most of the house hunting that Sunday by herself. :)
  31. Gobigvt7

Correct!
  32. dabudah

dabudah Aficionado (155) Oregon Oct 1, 2005

Correct!
  33. Has anyone heard any details about the Anniversary Party on March 2nd? :)