Superhype beer style you're just not that into

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by DeweyCheatem-n-Howe, May 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrokenEdge

BrokenEdge Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2015 Pennsylvania

Barleywines - On rare occasions, I can appreciate the complexity to the flavors (and recently had a 2014 Bigfoot...wowza) but generally I find them hard to drink. For the most part, I think they're actually kind of stressful to drink because I'm trying to make sense of the flavors. I like to just be able to sit back with a beer and relax with it, not have my taste buds assaulted.

BA Stouts - I just don't really find them worth the hype (and the cost). There are so many great stouts that are affordable and easily available, I don't get why people are killing themselves trying to find these $50 bottle whales. Plus I find more often than not the barrel actually takes away from some of the awesome base flavor of the stout, and I'd rather just have the non-BA version.

Hoppy amber ales - Stuff like Nugget Nectar, Hopback, etc. I prefer them more toasty and rich. At some point they cross the line into IPA territory for me and the flavors just don't meld right.

2. BPackert

BPackert Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2016 Ohio

Ive not been a fan of the Oat IPA, Makes them sooo thin. No dig against Tired Hands, but just wasnt for me.

3. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Saison/Farmhouse Ale

4. hopsputin

hopsputin Grand Pooh-Bah (4,017) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

Bourbon barrel aged. There's a few I can enjoy, but overall I'm not into bourbon.

dirtyfab likes this.
  5. Remiot

Remiot Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2014 France

Overly sweet IPAs/DIPAs/TIPAs such as 7 hops from Rogue, The problem Solver from Evil Twin.

It s just not refreshing and barely bitter anymore.

I also have a problem with Tripels now, I guess I had an overdose. I still consider them as great, I am just over it.

6. ovaltine

ovaltine Grand Pooh-Bah (5,911) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The "fruit beers" (especially IPA's) are becoming a bit wearisome, IMHO.

7. charlzm

charlzm Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2007 California

Gose. It's a nice style, but everyone and their mother is making one.
    Also, any beer described with any variation of the word "session".

8. beerluvr

beerluvr Pooh-Bah (1,826) Jan 2, 2001 Canada (ON)
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

9. akolb

akolb Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2015 Colorado
    Deactivated

Quads. Even ones that are very highly rated always seem a little underwhelming to me.

10. rronin

rronin Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

I've fried my taste buds on over 50 years of eating spicy foods, so anything fussy or over-complicated is just wasted on me. I like to keep it simple.

11. David_Deas

David_Deas Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2016 North Carolina

Sours are far from "popular" I'd say.

Personally, however, I agree with your overall sentiment. When you ferment fruit other than grapes it is called a country wine (or low wines). I don't fancy wine all that much in the first place. Especially not country wine, which is looked down upon even in wine circles.

I suppose that by relabeling country wine as "craft beer" a bad alcoholic beverage has found a new home where it can now be admired. Many bad alcoholic beverages have found new homes in the "craft beer" movement. Lets not single out low wines.

12. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,776) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut

Most Spirit Barrel Aged Stouts. I am starting to wonder why so many beers are trying to be something other than beer.

djl9701, laketang and TongoRad like this.
  13. Kevin67

Kevin67 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas

I suppose it might be easier to list the styles I like/appreciate, instead of all of the "Gotta have IT" styles I don't like that are the current trend, but here goes.

IPAs, DIPAs, TIPAs, etc. Hops have their place in a beer. However, drinking an over-the-top Hop bomb, that I'm tasting for the rest of the day, just really turns me off to the style. I really appreciate the muted taste of a regular pale ale, though.
    Sours
    Goses
    America Barleywines
    Berliner Weisse
    Gueze and Lambic
    Any tart, funky, or wild beer.
    Any beer spiced with chilies or cinnamon.
    I also loathe most rauchbiers. They are overly smoked and, frankly, reminiscent of cigarettes and ashtrays. I tried Ozark's Smoked Porter last year and was amazed. I thoroughly expected to hate it. So, I guess there's one out there I like.

14. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Pooh-Bah (1,866) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Generally speaking, I'm a fan of the concept of schadenfreude, so one would think I'd derive some enjoyment from all the hate for various sour styles.

Instead, I find myself somewhat sympathetic, since as a hop-non-appreciator, I'm rather familiar with the feeling of seeing breweries, bars, and shops everywhere dedicating a fair chunk of time, equipment, tap handles, and shelf space to a lot of beers I can't enjoy.

15. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Savant (1,216) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

16. maz

maz Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Illinois

It's interesting to talk about what you don't like, can't stand, can do without, etc...

But what the hell is up with you people who think styles you don't care for "need to go"? Nobody is forcing you to buy them and last time I checked there are hundreds (thousands?) of other beers on the shelves.

Pantalones and TomN like this.
  17. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Pundit (907) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

Barley wines

18. PhilsPils

PhilsPils Zealot (721) Feb 11, 2010 Texas

Not a big fan of Imperial Stouts. I often like the taste but would find it easier to finish a bottle if it were, say, 5 ounces.

19. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Pooh-Bah (1,636) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Wow didn't realize this many of you hate funky/sour beers.....more for me I guess.

Barleywines are tough for me to get into.

20. mactrail

mactrail Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,415) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Anything referred to by a string of capital letters

thepenguin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.