1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Abrasive available on France44 NOW

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dan_Bowman, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

Title says it all, just ordered my first.
    Dagsy, HoshuaJobbs and whiskey like this.
  2. Also on haskells.com
  3. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Shipping to VA costs more than the beer. Booo Hiss :mad:
    ThisWangsChung and Providence like this.
  4. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

Thanks for the tip. I literally checked this morning and it wasn't there. Been waiting for weeks!
  5. How fresh is the abrasive i know it was brewed recently, but if i'm going to pay that much money for a 4 pack ($32) with shipping it better be super fresh. Anyone buy from these places before???
  6. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

Ordered, thanks Bowman!
  7. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

The last Abrasive shipment I received from France 44 was 2 weeks old. Talk about fresh! No guarantees, but I'd bet it's from a new batch.
  8. AHHHH no one can ship to MA such a pain. How long does it take france 44 to ship stuff usually? If they could get it to RI by next friday I will order some.
  9. Lyndale Liquors also sells Abrasive online in Minneapolis
  10. France44 gets fresh Surly usually on Tuesdays
  11. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I've been watching a few places (France44, Merwins, & Haskells) and all seem about the same price with shipping. I waited for France44 because of all the good thing BA's had to say.
  12. I got to the last page and it was 51 bucks total to ship 2 4pks to rhode island...then it said sorry we can not ship here.

Kind of glad, 51 bucks for 8 cans? :eek:
  13. Hopbully

Hopbully Savant (285) Virginia Apr 18, 2009

Good call! Just grabbed some 4 packs!
  14. whiskey

whiskey Savant (350) California Feb 25, 2012

That was my cost, but I'm splitting it with a buddy so I figured I was getting the 4 pack with 10 bucks shipping to get a chance to try it. I wouldn't do it on a regular basis.
  15. I'm with you, must try it once just ordered 2 4 packs, the way i see it it's still cheaper than trading for it, or about the same.
    whiskey likes this.
  16. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

Can anyone tell me how much better abrasive is than furious? Tried furious and wasn't blown away enough to take that much out of my hopslam/nugget nectar budget if abrasive is in the same boat. Cheers
  17. To be honest i would take Furious anyway over nugget nectar, never had abrasive but if its a bigger version of furious i bet I'll like it more than hopslam as well.
  18. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Advocate (645) Virginia Apr 25, 2012

to each his own, i live off my hops, and heady topper is my end all be all so nugget nectar is always a good change of pace imo.
  19. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

It's cool that you can use Paypal. Also, 5L Two Hearted! Wow...looks like a reasonable price too.
  20. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

I really wish you guys could put a face to the name here... this store is more gangster than Pauly D eating a 6 foot Subway sandwich.
    DBijnagte, MPLSbrewer and stayclean like this.
  21. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

Abrasive better than Furious.
    skinsfan likes this.
  22. I bought a case of Abrasive and the cost came out to a little over $5 a can. Not bad.

All the Surly stuff I have gotten France44 has been really fresh. One time, not even a week old when I received it.
    skinsfan likes this.
  23. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I am with you with regards to Furious, it is a good beer, but not worth the trouble to go through to get it necessarily. But, I went ahead and ordered a couple 4 packs of Abrasive back in December, and obviously everyone's opinion is their own, but for me Abrasive is a totally different beer than Furious and in my opinion is absolutely outstanding! I will without a doubt be ordering a couple 4 packs every year. I realize it is not cheap to get it shipped, but it is truly a badass monster of a Double IPA. Cheers
  24. skinsfan

skinsfan Advocate (600) Maryland May 24, 2005

I have made a couple purchases
    I made a couple purchases from France 44 for the first time this year (all Surly and Odell beers), and everything has been within a month old at most. Wet and Abrasive I received were all super fresh as I ordered right when they came in. Worst case, call or email them and they will let you know freshness dates of anything you are interested in ordering. They are super friendly, easy to work with, pack everything great...they are legit and they do it right!
  25. to those who ordered online, YOU DID IT WRONG!!! GET A REGULAR MN BA TRADING PARTNER. There are more than 20 MN BA's that I would let watch my kid, much less trade beer with. Reach out, they are there, and probably one of the better trading partners you could have.
    on the other side, MN BA's do what you can to share the wealth. We are amongst a mecca of great beer, we need to share. If every BA that actively trades would take 1 more trading partner, the inflation paid for beer would be significantly less, and the Advocacy would increase. That being said. I would love to ship 2 4 packs to someone with whom I have never traded with before.
    KWMiles, cavedave, Douggo and 9 others like this.
  26. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

But they don't make those year round do they? That's gotta be more than a few months old at this point..
  27. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Advocate (510) New York Feb 18, 2009

Unless I'm extremely bad at the internet, Abrasive seems gone from the site - if anyone can provide a working link to it, I'd appreciate it. Had some Surly stuff when I was visiting St. Paul, would love to try something new (to me) from them.
  28. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Looks like you guys bought it all. :(
  29. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

Sure, but that means I have to buy something (or raid my cellar) to trade for a beer I can buy online. I much prefer trading for things that are not available via the internet.
  30. its true Ive been sending out a ton of abrasive at a fraction of the cost of shipping sites. Im done with trades for a few weeks now but lemme know if you're looking for some and we can probably get something going.
  31. usofar

usofar Initiate (0) California Dec 23, 2010

Pick me if you need another SoCal trading partner.
  32. When I saw the title of the thread I knew the last post would be "and they are out of Abrasive."
  33. man, I hope your not feeling jaded, but if its off the shelf for me, I want off the shelf from you. Unless you offer something I can't say no to, then meet me at the $ and we are a ok. Someone hit me up already, if not, I would hit you up just cuz, cuz.
  34. I just bought Abrasive on Saturday from my local store. Def not sold out.
  35. fuck, your in Chicago, trade ZD, Big Hugs, Double Fist, etc. You have so much ammo we cant get, Abrasive should be easy to get. Hell, offer me a great growler, and you have me half way done.
  36. I would be ecstatic to trade abrasive for ZD. Although I'm new to this site and have no idea how this works.
  37. stayclean

stayclean Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 17, 2012

Would love a MN trading partner for Surly stuff like this, but no vehicle and UPS being quite a hike makes it not really doable for the time being.
  38. maybe trade for 5 four packs and give up one can of each, barter your way to good beer, son.
  39. Djsaturn1

Djsaturn1 Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 12, 2012

I would be willing to help out someone in need of abrasive. I think abrasive is much better than furious. I would even say it is better than wet.
    HoshuaJobbs likes this.