1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Abrasive available on France44 NOW

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dan_Bowman, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I'd take you up on that, but I have enough IPAs as it is that I'm afraid I won't drink them while they're still fresh, plus Hopslam arrives in the next week (prob my favorite DIPA of them all). I did order a 4-pack of Abrasive earlier from France44, but I was able to add a number of other beers to the order (particularly Odell) that it made the shipping palatable. Looks like I might be moving to NC soon, so when that happens I may need to look into trading instead of being able to buy all I want here in Chicago.
  2. not knocking the way you got your beer, but get a MN BA trading partner, if you need me to recommend, I can. But there are better ways to get great beer.
  3. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (370) Ohio May 13, 2008

I've had Furious fresh and brewed a clone; great beer. I've had Abrasive but the hops were old on both occasions. Surly is huge on late additions. I really need to try Abrasive fresh.
  4. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Not similar at all...Abrasive is way more tropical, less harsh than Furious.
  5. two totally different styles. Furious is more of a red IPA where Abrasive is a DIPA. Very malty versus very fruit sweet. Both delish. For vast dfferent reasons
    sacrelicio likes this.
  6. Agree with biglobo. I spent about an hour trying to find somewhere to buy New Glarus stuff online. Finally just said fck it, and entered the trading scene. Now, I wouldn't have it any other way. Trading with other beer enthusiasts who want the stuff you can easily get, and are willing to reciprocate >>>>>>> paying some online 'shop' inflated prices for the same stuff.
  7. As someone who trades regularly (probably 4 times a month or more), I like to not have to worry about raping my cellar or going on beer runs. Being able to purchase it for retail and having to pay shipping, which i would have done on trade anyways is pretty great to me.
    Skye1024 likes this.
  8. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Unbelievable. Had in cart last night, was going to process it this morning. Gonzo.
    Thanks. :confused:

Edit: trading sounds great, but I don't have much to give. I drink all my good stuff.
  9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

IMO Abrasive live in the same neighborhood that HT does. Furious is an excellent IPA as well, but they're two different animals, you can't compare a big DIPA to any IPA, but Furious is as good as any other IPA out there.
    Nicolay3535 likes this.
  10. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

You all have to much disposable income! I enjoy Abrasive, but I just cant get myself to drop 16 bucks on it anymore(im in MN), which is seemily quite affordable considering the shipping you all have to pay!
    I can get two 4pks of Fury for the same price-for me, thats the way to go. Having Lag. Sucks around, which i think is pretty darn similar to Abrasvie helps too
  11. nogophers

nogophers Savant (295) Minnesota Jun 28, 2011

Had Abrasive on tap in Mpls last week (Zelo's). Yummy!
  12. Don't hate cause some of us make beaucoup money!
  13. Coirm

Coirm Aficionado (160) Illinois Dec 12, 2012

Looking to get some trading partners, love Surly. I need a first trade, if your willing. I will ship first. In Chicago Area, I get my FFF straight from the Brewery. Super fresh. Let me know what you would like for a some Furious and Abrasive. I might be nervous shipping a growler without some good packing advice. Bottles are no prob.
    SatlyMalty and hwy395 like this.
  14. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Would you pay 6$ for a pint mug of Surly Abrasive at a bar if you had the chance?
  15. Well I havent had any surly so I can't say for certain :cool:. But yes probably, and yes I use the same logic as you when justifying my spending on beer. I was just taken a back by the price tag on shipping.
  16. anybody know if they ship to NJ?
    Bitterbill and Giovannilucano like this.
  17. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Yes. Whatever it takes. Sticker shock keeps creeping up somehow. What used to shock me doesn't anymore. Cheers.
  18. hwy395

hwy395 Aficionado (235) California Jan 20, 2012

Hey there Coirm, hit me up if an Abrasive for Pliny trade sounds good to you. I'm at Russian River twice a month and can get you their Blind Pig and anything bottled. Also, I don't mind giving my FedEx account number, my company has a global FedEx account with ridiculously cheap rates that I can use. I'll pay for the shipping if you throw in a couple of extra cans / bottles :)
  19. Fresh Palate Wrecker for fresh Abrasive? I've had it before and it was amazballs!
  20. Dan_Bowman

Dan_Bowman Aficionado (245) Ohio Apr 11, 2010

I paid $15.99 for DFH Immort Ale locally. I thought that was crazy and it was 4 12oz beers!
  21. MCImes

MCImes Savant (350) Minnesota Dec 31, 2010

x2 to trading for it.

Furious is great, and Abrasive pees on it like R kelly pees on 16 year olds.

If anyone needs some BM me. Just looking to trade for commonly available stuff in other areas. Would really like to try Jester King, Topper, anything sour, anything on the top 250.
    KWMiles likes this.
  22. I just tried the other site shopmerwins.com its a no go for NJ!
    digdug1810 likes this.
  23. thanks i want to say i tried france44 last year around this same time but couldn't remember.. i know i tried to get other stuff shipped here last year from I think ballast point since you can order from their website but they wouldn't ship to NJ.. oh well.. people are offering to trade so i could take somebody up on that if i wanted to try it, but i don't do trades unless they are IP ones.. thanks for the info everybody
    Giovannilucano likes this.
  24. Abrasive supply has dwindled in Cali...
  25. nc41

No one will ship to NJ and or Pa.
  26. immobilisme

immobilisme Savant (380) Illinois Nov 8, 2005

I am not feeling jaded, it is just how I prefer to go about getting certain beers. Sometimes I am also lazy and it isn't worth the time and effort to pack up a box and ship it when I could just sit at my computer and "spend" $1-2 more per four pack.

I truly do love the trading scene and beer trading has resulted in some great friendships (I even have a guy in Minneapolis!), but sometimes I just want a box from France44.
    Nicolay3535 and Bitterbill like this.
  27. nc41

I love france44, really first rate service all the way around. I would rather but Surly from them than trade for it as well.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,125) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

France 44 still says on their website that they ship to NJ.
  29. Bitterbill

Umm...wrong. At least from the store websites I've collected.
  30. nc41

They don't, the states of Pa and NJ no longer allow shipments of been into the state, from Carin at france44. The web sight isn't up to date. I tried to send my dad a box for Xmas and couldn't even though I sent him a June Fathers Day box, they have changed the laws. Fla won't ship to Pa either, it's not a state to state thing but a PA/NJ now thing. They're protecting their in state distributors I would suppose. If web sights say they ship they're not up dated is all.
    Bitterbill likes this.
  31. Bitterbill

How uncool but thanks for the info!
  32. broodog

broodog Savant (335) Illinois Jul 18, 2009

Received my shipment of Abrasive and Furious today. Abrasive: canned on 12/28/12 - Furious: canned on 12/26/12
    FRESH...
  33. nc41

Be prepared to be blown away by Abrasive.
    broodog likes this.
  34. I am in NJ. I have ordered from France44 several times.
    Never a problem
  35. I don't see Abrasive on France44.
    I see Furious.
    ??
  36. broodog

I've been ordering Abrasive from France44 for a few years now. Drinking one right now. It. is. wonderful.
  37. I haven't ordered from them in a few months. Thanks for update.

They didn't change any law in NJ. Simply being more zealous in enforcement.
  38. nc41

It is that.
  39. broodog

Sorry, they sold out within a few hours of the first post on this thread. There were questions about the freshness...