1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Abrasive

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Chazari99, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Had the pleasure of getting some Surly Abrasive from Minnesota today. Wow. It is almost virtually indistinguishable from Heady. Heady is a bit better, but not by much. If Heady is a 100, Surly is a 97.
  2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Savant (250) Massachusetts Sep 20, 2012

How fresh was each beer? Time to compare; I think my Heady is 2, maybe 3, weeks old, and the Abrasive should be less than that.
  3. alexsergio

alexsergio Savant (290) New York Mar 7, 2011

if heady is 100, abrasive is 99. they are both amazing. im stuck on LI so i cherish either one, including the 2 abrasives ive aleady had tonight!!
  4. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Heady on tap destroys all!!
  5. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

I found Abrasive to have more of a grapefruit taste while heady has that peach/apricot/mango thing going on.
    Abrasive is certainly a well made beer, I just prefer Heady. I'd say Abrasive and Kern Citra are the only ales that can hang with HF Abner/Double Galaxy, Heady, and Double Sunshine.
  6. i had some abrasive which was 5 weeks old then right after 1 week old heady and like the heady better
    i dont think that the abrasive has lost much of anything at 5 weeks
    really looking forward to trying this Lawsons Finest Triple Play IPA then a fresh heady then an abrasive and rate all 3
    highdesertdrinker likes this.
  7. celfan

celfan Savant (465) Vermont Jul 4, 2004

i'd go with Double Sunshine
  8. I totally agree the first time I had it my reaction was, "holy shit I finally found a beer that can compete with heady topper" but i also agree it almost measures up but not quite.
  9. Abrasive is on my list of beers that I trade for multiple times per year. I think it is one of the few actually up there with heady.