1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Darkness Re-Release MPLS MN

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Zarnold_Quigley, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Just curious if anyone got lucky and found some Darkness . Good luck to all as it was a very limited re-release from what I hear.
  2. I was lucky. Now to "starve" myself of Darkness for as long as I can stand it.
  3. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

SwinginParty likes this.
  4. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

I got my limit of one Darkness. And promptly traded it for 72 cases of Saga.
  5. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

It may have been limited, but it has been easy to get if you want some.
  6. mquartuccio87

mquartuccio87 Savant (305) New York Jun 10, 2013

is there anyway for someone in new york to get this besides trading for it.
  7. Chaz

Chaz Champion (815) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

You can either wait for Surly to enter New York state or go trawling in the Bay.

(But trading works pretty fast. ;))
    SipIt likes this.
  8. mquartuccio87

mquartuccio87 Savant (305) New York Jun 10, 2013

ok thanks :)
    Chaz likes this.
  9. NeedBeerHere

NeedBeerHere Initiate (0) Minnesota Nov 21, 2013

I think I was able to pick up 5 or so. I'm sure I could have easily got 3 times that but I don't work. Decided not to go for more as I knew lots of other stores that probably had it but were going to be charging a premium. With tax most of the bottles I got were a little over $23 anyway. I was trying to pick some up for in person trade bait on my scuba trip that just got canceled since mom got sick. Oh well. Rather wait for her to have fun but it sucked cause I had trades lined up.
  10. NeedBeerHere

Since the New Yorkers got $9.99 4/packs of BCBS, I'll be nice and trade you a Darkness for two 4 Packs. :p
    pearceweb and Chaz like this.
  11. whole foods downtown had a bunch this morning with a one bottle limit,just went back for more and its gone:(
  12. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Wow, that stock is trading at a record low!
  13. Ridder

Ridder Aficionado (155) Minnesota Nov 30, 2013

I have seen it sitting on shelves in multiple locations. I know it was a limited release, but apparently there was not much hype (or PR) done about the second batch. First time around it was gone in hours, this time, I bought one from one of my local bottle shops, went back on Friday and they STILL had some sitting in the case.

Weird how it all works sometimes.
  14. nograz

nograz Aficionado (145) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

It seemed to come in the same day as hopslam at most locations, so that may have over shadowed it a bit. It also seemed more stores annouced that hopslam came in and not darkness. Plus I got the feeling that stores kept it on the downlow so the people in the know could get it easier.
  15. I am in downtown MSP next Tuesday on business. Can anybody post or message me on a place I can locate this?

I can also bring an Abraxas or some MILF if anybody is looking for KC area beers and is willing to do an IP trade.
  16. MNPikey

MNPikey Advocate (500) Minnesota Feb 27, 2011

I got you covered
  17. Out of curiosity, does anyone know where this is still located? I wouldn't mind picking up another bottle, but don't know if I want to call or drive around to a bunch of places.
  18. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

And if you can't make a meet with Pikey work I can get you a bottle.
  19. NeedBeerHere

I can help you out as well if you have a hard time hooking up with these other generous BAs. I'm available just about any time. I think most MN BAs have an extra Darkness hanging around.
  20. morimech

morimech Advocate (675) Minnesota Nov 6, 2006

Saw it Saturday at Byerly's SLP for $20. A couple bottles left. If you really want to spend extra there is always Haskell's in Chan. I am sure it is still all over the place at the $23.99+ prices. That seems to be the threshold of what people are willing to pay for Darkness.
  21. NeedBeerHere

Yah I didn't even bother going to Haskell's in Woodbury and a couple other places. You knew they were going to bend you over. Even at $20+ with tax you are still paying $22-$24.00
  22. A buddy and myself were able to get one each in Luverne, MN. (We're in Sioux Falls, SD). I ended up selling mine to a friend for what I paid for it as he had not been able to get any yet.
  23. It's on the shelves in Rochester at Hyvee at $24.99. I laughed, then picked up a 2013 Abyss that was next to it for $13.99 (the last one) as well as contemplated the whole row of Black Butte XV for $8.99.
    mnphish, psychotia and gatornation like this.
  24. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Yeah I just saw about five cases at Andy's North. Grabbed some Founder's Breakfast Stout instead. I did think about it though, great beer. If only it was priced the same as Smoke...
  25. A-lex-ander

A-lex-ander Aspirant (30) Minnesota Jan 30, 2014

Just picked up two at Sentyrz in nordeast at $18.99 at 5 this afternoon, pretty sure it was just stocked so there should still be some left. I also managed to grab there last bottle of Seviin. A bunch of Smoke on the shelf but I didn't pick any up considering I just dropped 60 bucks and I'm already poor as it is.
  26. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

Darkness hoarders are the ultimate custies.
  27. Ridder

Ridder Aficionado (155) Minnesota Nov 30, 2013

What are "custies"?
  28. mnphish

mnphish Savant (375) Minnesota Aug 19, 2012

it's a term used by phish fans that basically means buying overpriced goods for the 'cred'
  29. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

There's a pic in the Latest Hauls thread last time I looked a couple days ago. Some guy picked up like 10 bottles of Darkness.. he must really like drinking that beer.
  30. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

They only re-released Darkness in Minneapolis?
  31. Nope, Chicago got in on the action too second time around.
  32. mjryan

mjryan Savant (480) Minnesota Dec 22, 2007

M
    Man, sucks to be a St Paulite or any other denison of MSP I guess.
    Ungertaker likes this.
  33. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

It was all over the Twin Cities this time around as well, it was not limited to Minneapolis.
  34. Even Roch got some
  35. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Yep and there is still a ton of it here. I think I saw close to five cases at Andy's on Saturday.
    Mnmaverick likes this.
  36. Shelf turd.
  37. yasky

yasky Savant (300) New York Dec 21, 2008

Now that the trading value has plummeted, pickoneupforme someone? anyone?
  38. Douggo

Douggo Aficionado (235) Minnesota Oct 24, 2009

What? When did trade value plummet? :eek:
  39. Stumbled across a bottle at Haskell's in Woodbury. I was picking up a 4 pack of Founders RIS and the clerk mentioned that he had some Darkness in the back. I couldn't refuse the offer.

Just today I was at Tower in New Brighton and spotted a lone bottle in the Surly cooler. I took it home to add to the horde.