1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly in Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Nate3686, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Nate3686

Nate3686 Aficionado (125) Wisconsin Mar 27, 2014

I heard a rumor that Surly was going to be coming to Wisconsin. Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

2. Well it's been in Chicago for a little bit now. Don't know what their distribution plans in WI would be, but Madison is right along the road to Chicago...

3. nograz

nograz Aficionado (200) Minnesota Oct 30, 2013

Todd said it is not true on Twitter.

McRyan likes this.
  4. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

What he said above. Thread done.

5. Surly already is in Wisconsin. In my fridge. Sorry, that joke is so old it could vote.

barrybeerdog, hardy008 and mnbearsfan like this.
  6. DrZeus10

DrZeus10 Savant (265) Minnesota Jun 1, 2013

There was a follow up from Todd that said "maybe 2015"...

7. nograz

Which makes sense. With the recent expansion to Chicago and from reports of them working more around the clock. I doubt they really have the capacity to expand territory much until the new brewery opens.

8. EJJ1848

EJJ1848 Savant (405) Minnesota Jun 24, 2013

Since this page is already speculation, I thought I remember hearing that the eventual plan after the new brewery got in full swing was to expand in the Midwest. IL, WI, MO, IA. Again, all rumors and hearsay, but fun speculation nonetheless.

9. knelson

knelson Aficionado (115) Wisconsin Nov 23, 2010

I was told by a credible brewery rep that WI would not see Surly until the completion of the new brewery. I would assume they will also ensure that their MN distribution is increased to an acceptable level before that happens as well. (First part is heresay, second is speculation)

10. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

LOCK IT

11. grynder33

grynder33 Savant (380) Wisconsin Jul 31, 2003

We do have a Surly Beer Dinner on tap at a famous Milwaukee downtown restaurant May 1,so technically Surly will be in Milwaukee, at least for a day

12. Tap takeover at a place in Madison on May 2 as well.

13. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I'm from Milwaukee and currently live in Mpls. I still frequent Milwaukee, so if some of you ever want me to bring some stuff down, let me know.

14. prf2009a

prf2009a Initiate (5) Apr 30, 2014

I am not sure if it was a mistake or not, but I saw a display Surly Blakr at a liquor store in La Crosse, WI last night. I couldn't believe it. I did not have time to check to see if anything else from Surly was available. Hoping this delivery wasn't a mistake!

15. Blakkr was a collaboration. Was the beer in cans or bottles? If the beer was in bottles that means that it was brewed at 3F and they distribute to Wisconsin.

16. prf2009a

prf2009a Initiate (5) Apr 30, 2014

This was the cans.

17. You sure it was in La Crosse and not La Crescent? I know there's a liquor store on one of those river islands that's close to the border.

18. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (270) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

Last night there were Blakkr cans at a couple places in La Crosse/Onalaska, apparently a limited distribution from last weekend's Between the Bluffs fest. Woodman's in particular had tons.

ToadiesForCody likes this.
  19. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

It would make logistical sense for Surly to come to the WI market. I suspect when they are producing enough beer it will happen.

20. Ri0

FFF would hit Madison way before bottles ever made it to La Crosse. I have yet to see any Blakkr in Madison.

21. nograz

Is it just Blakkr? I could see them off loading it to help get rid of it. It seems to be sitting on shelves, it has run its course and $18 isn't helping it move.

22. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

Move this to the great lakes thread.

23. SkinniePost

SkinniePost Savant (400) Wisconsin Jun 20, 2012

I talked to a Beer Store Manager today about it coming to Madison... He said they were having trouble getting the deal finalized with the distro here... So it probably won't show until the fall sometime? But we can keep our fingers crossed that things get squared away and it pops up sooner.

Ri0 likes this.
  24. Ri0

Yes, I enjoy most of their beer. Especially Coffee Bender, Overrated, and Abrasive.

25. dkrep

dkrep Aficionado (145) Wisconsin Oct 4, 2013

Fresh Overrated is one of my favorites, and Abrasive is awesome as well.

26. Vinithing

Vinithing Savant (340) Wisconsin Feb 21, 2014

Its happening for sure 2015. Furious and Blakkr hit about a dozen stores today as a one-time drop.....for now.

27. Ya, Blakkr is stacked many cases high at Woodmans in Onalaska and I assume will be for a long time. Surlys pricing does not really lend itself well to Wisconsin.

Not saying I don't buy a ton of Abrasive and others I am talking about most people.

28. Great beer but price will cause it to collect dust in most areas of WI. New Glarus is $7.99 a 6 pack. 11.99 a 4 pack? Come on

29. nograz

In all fairness, it still isn't the same volume, but it is 16 ounce cans, could be worse and be 12 ounces. When it actually is being distributed to Wisconsin, maybe then price will drop. Most places have furious for $9.99 and one place sells it for $8.99 ever Friday.

30. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Not an hour south in Rochester

nograz likes this.
  31. nograz

Well, there goes that theory. I suppose added distance may be part of the factor.

32. Ri0

SURLY FURIOUS and BLAKKR are now in a Steve's on UNIVERSITY! This is a small ONE time release until they make... http://t.co/3bKd28poos

33. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

There are a bunch of places in the city that sell it for $8.99 regularly now, and Total Wine even has it for $7.99.

34. nograz

That is good to hear. I haven't bought furious in a while, I just know one store I follow on twitter it for $8.99 on Fridays.

I should buy some.

SipIt likes this.
  35. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

The recent drop of Furious in Iowa (last week) had it priced at $11.99/4pk as well. A few dollars more than it sells for in MN. Maybe they are pricing it like that because of the limited availability will drop down to around $9.99/4pk when we see wider/regular distribution in the state? I really hope so anyway.

36. You didn't think they were gonna have the fine folks of Minnesota pay for that new brewery now, did you? :cool:

I'm guessing you're spot on with your assessment though. Limited supply = greater demand. Econ 101 taught me that you can usually squeeze out a few extra bucks in those situations.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
  37. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

It is and always has been $11.99 in Rochester, so I doubt it.

38. 4four4

4four4 Aficionado (215) Minnesota Apr 27, 2007

Maybe the price will drop? More like increase in price. I love greed!

39. Mplsmetro57

Mplsmetro57 Savant (320) Minnesota Jan 30, 2013

Surly Brewing teases Wisconsin with Madison Craft Beer Week tastings, plans for more to come:
    http://www.thedailypage.com/beer/article.php?article=42680

"We have an expansion plan of getting into Wisconsin and Iowa in 2015, fingers crossed," he says. "When we reach capacity in our current markets, then we can heavily consider Wisconsin."