1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Overrated West Coast IPA

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jera1350, Jan 31, 2013.

1. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

[​IMG]
    From beerpulse.com:

(Minneapolis, MN) – On Thursday, label approval came in for Surly Overrated West Coast IPA. On rare occasion, labels that get approved may never make it to market but it is the exception rather than the rule. So, there is a good chance that Surly has a new 16 oz. can coming out in the future though details are unavailable at the moment. Below is the label copy…
    It’s been said, “It’s easier to brew an extremely balanced beer.” And you know us, we are always looking for the easy way out, so we jumped on the West Coast IPA Bandwagon and brewed this dry and hoppy ale. “Surly’s a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers,” and maybe we are OVERRATED, but at the end of the day, it’s just a beer. If you like it, great, so do we. If you only liked us when we were small, then leave this one on the shelf. Let one of the fanboys grab it.
    We dug around for a source to what appears to be a chip on Surly’s shoulder but couldn’t come up with the quote on the label.
    But there was this Beer Advocate review by member, BeerLover…
    [...] i dont wonder with “surly’s “Our Sh!t dont stink, we are better than every1 else’s) attitude if this is not just a marketing trick/ploy/gimmick to make their already high in demand beers even more crazed over [...]
    And this one by JamesMN
    [...] I tend to think that Surly is a little overrated (due mostly to the high price point and the “we’re better than you” attitude). [...]
    Who knows…maybe your comments may someday upset a brewery into releasing a new beer.
  2. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Canning Bandwagon! Sweet!
  3. cmannes

cmannes Savant (375) Minnesota Mar 15, 2009

LOL! This is great!
  4. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Confirmed same recipe?
  5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

LOL

This is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Can't wait for it!
  6. GFG

Hasn't been said yet to my knowledge but bandwagon is a west coast IPA. So it's possible I guess. I have a feeling it's a new recipe though.
  7. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Savant (320) Minnesota Dec 28, 2008

Just figured since they say Bandwagon right on the new can lable. Just have to wait and see.
  8. GFG

Can't believe I didn't notice that. It's capitalized too. You might be right on this one!
  9. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

Year round or seasonal? I enjoyed Bandwagon at Twins games....
    Philly82785 likes this.
  10. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (515) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

TheBushman likes this.
  11. Mealhouse

Mealhouse Savant (325) Minnesota Feb 19, 2012

I enjoyed his Ruination 10th anniversary review where he said he'd like to age it 2 or 3 months....
  12. jera1350

jera1350 Advocate (730) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Maybe we should steer this guy to the craigslist add for 2012 Hopslam.
    Ish1, arniepnminne, yamar68 and 5 others like this.
  13. GFG

What he fails to realize in that review is simple math. A 4 pack of 12oz bottles at $12 really isn't that much cheaper. Abrasive is a usually around $17 for a 4 pack of 16oz cans.

Abrasive: 26 cents per oz
    Ruination: 25 cents per oz

It's amazing what a little intelligence can bring to ones life
  14. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/46849/?ba=Beerlover
    "I dont like giving beers a bad review, but this definatley needs to be brought down a few notches... not a horrible beer by any means, but when you factor in the price (which unfortunatly is not part of the rate system) this beer is a RIP-OFF!!! there are many other double ipas you can find out there that are just as good if not BETTER for a LOT less $$$!! some examples- these being much better tasting in my humble opinion than abrasive and MUCH cheaper - my top 3 favorite double ipas all taste much better than this:
    1: Stone's "Ruination" - 4 pack bottles 11.99 ($0.24979 per ounce)
    2: Odell's "Mycenary" 4 pack bottles 10.99 ($0.22896 per ounce)
    3: Weyerbacher "Double Symcoe" 4 pack bottles 11.99 ($0.24979 per ounce)
    and a 4th just to hit it home, the best double ipa - bang 4 ur buck wise
    4: Pyramid "Outburst ipa" 6 pack for 8.99!!! INSAIN DEAL & GREAT FLAVOR!!!" ($0.12486 per ounce)

My comparison:

4. Surly's "Abrasive" 4 pack cans= $0.24984 per ounce

Overpriced? Maybe compared to Outburst (85 rating on Outburst, 100 on Abrasive- with Abrasive having over five times the reviews). Is it overpriced compared to the others? Only if $0.00005/ounce or $0.02088 means something to you! Someone just needs to do the math...
  15. Ungertaker

Edit: I was typing my above comment as you posted yours...

*Insert joke about intelligence here* See: spelling errors and mathematical errors in reviews
    MrMcGibblets, BrettHead and GFG like this.
  16. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

“Surly’s a little bit of a one-trick pony, they just brew gimmick beers.”

Didn't this quote come from the old board? I remember a similar statement form an employee of, I think, MGM in Burnsville. I could be wrong, but I know I've read that quote before...
  17. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (515) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

stupid is as stupid does ;-)
    TheBushman likes this.
  18. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Could have sworn I read somewhere in an old interview where Todd or Omar said they were toying with the name "Over Rated" a while back for something. Can't quite remember though.
  19. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I, of course always like some price talk. To be fair, Ruination is priced at 9.99 about everyplace i see it. Thats $.20 an oz.

My comparable buy to Abrasive is Sucks, at about $.14 an oz.

For the record(is anyone keeping one?!), I like Surly when they were small and still like them now. I cant imagine me ever enjoying a beer more then Fury. Its the first Surly I ever tried at Arborfest in '06, and still my top!
  20. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

I remember that. Funny enough, they now carry Surly and advertise it quite a bit.
  21. this could/will be there best selling beer of course overrated , this cant get on the shelves fast enough 4 me
    BottleCaps80 and yamar68 like this.
  22. will have your back.
    sliverX likes this.
  23. Ungertaker

Yeah, I think that thread was started and deleted multiple times!
  24. dc55110

dc55110 Advocate (505) Minnesota Oct 24, 2010

Ungertaker likes this.
  25. Ungertaker likes this.
  26. want to pour into mouth now.
    sliverX, shawnp and Mealhouse like this.
  27. brbe6

brbe6 Aspirant (45) Minnesota Nov 26, 2012

Honestly couldn't be happier they are trying to can Bandwagon, since I don't like baseball at all and could never talk myself into buying a twins ticket just to try a beer.
    feloniousmonk likes this.
  28. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Anyone that gives Hop*A*Potamus a perfect five has taste buds that are not to be trusted.

Also, Torgo ... buddy ol' pal .... how're things going up there? Just sayin' hi .. :D
  29. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Yup, that was my thread...her exact quote's were..."Look at all this beer here! Why would I need Surly? It's nothing more than a Minnesota novelty." "They make mediocre beer."

I wish they would've named it "Minnesota Novelty"
    arniepnminne likes this.
  30. Pretty sure it is a 'novelty' that MGM Burnsville now carries. It was on their sign when I drive by today. I guess she jumped on the 'Bandwagon' as well.
  31. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (195) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Gotta love the tongue in cheek humor. Especially since it's their take on one of the most popular styles of craft beer. Brings a smile to my face as I drink my Lagunitas Sucks!
  32. GFG

Surly is still "small." They're basically still ONLY in the Twin Cities, with the addition of a couple other Minnesota towns/cities. They won't come up to East Grand Forks, MN because they still have over 300 places on a wait list before the place here that wants them. :(

The guy here tonight said that they more than likely won't be receiving Surly until the new brewery opens
  33. Time to put on my boner pants.
  34. I hope its like bandwagon with a more caramel malt backbone. I wonder if it'll be a year round beer
  35. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

You are just putting them on? Mine were on at 12:55 today.
    minnesotaryan likes this.
  36. Perfect name for ALL of their beers - OVERRATED!
    domtronzero likes this.
  37. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (390) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Kind of like Aaron Rodgers?
  38. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

Easy pal... When is the last time your squad bested my beloved Pack?

Looking forward to trying this beer...
  39. the abrasive in my snifter is calling shenanigans on this.