1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Surly Overrated West Coast IPA

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by jera1350, Jan 31, 2013.

1. steven

steven Aficionado (110) Minnesota May 24, 2006

It will be interesting if it is Bandwagon. I think Bandwagon is pretty good, but I can't really imagine ever buying it if Furious was also available.

2. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (425) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

If you are a Bears or a Cubs fan, you will never be truly disappointed. However the Bears have won 4 more games head-to-head against the Packers, so I guess we are the better team.

3. MattyG85

MattyG85 Champion (800) Minnesota Aug 31, 2010

Maybe this will replace Hell as the mid-summer seasonal since it went year round?

Now with Sucks and Overrated, will Stone follow suit with "Blows"?

4. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Todd tweeted this earlier today
    "@mikeboeve they are both "Am. IPA's" so I can only assume that people might think they are similar. New hop variety for us so we're stoked!"

So, it can't be the same as bandwagon...which I still have yet to try damnit!!!

pdoran10 likes this.
  5. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (785) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

Unless they go with "Eats Ass".

Beerandraiderfan and LittleGus like this.
  6. runfoodrun

runfoodrun Savant (325) Minnesota Jun 18, 2008

Hmmm...a Super Bowl MVP, 2011 season MVP, and top QB rating in 2011 and 2012 suggest otherwise.

And Surly rules!

7. I assumed this was going to be canned Bandwagon, but I guess not? If so that's pretty awesome! What's the new hop variety mentioned above. New to Surly or new to the scene like Belma or Mosaic??

Also, go Packers! Any haters are jealous.

Beerandraiderfan and Philly82785 like this.
  8. this past season, last year in the playoffs, the year before that, shall I keep going?

minnesotaryan likes this.
  9. Does this mean Lucid err Another MN Beer company will come out with Drain Pour?

blackdog1101 and mnstorm99 like this.
  10. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

I thought Staples Mill had that shit on lockdown.

josephwa, Cyclone8, mjryan and 4 others like this.
  11. mnstorm99

Haven't tried anything from them yet, is it good? o_O

12. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Actually don't know, I just read a lot of reviews that said the bottled stuff was terribad, and I think they just changed owners.

13. Icarus

Icarus Savant (260) Minnesota Oct 6, 2012

Yeah the Bandwagon in caps on the label is probably a little hint at what the brew could be. Will be nice to try this brew having never been to Target Field.

14. mnstorm99

Probably similar or even very close, but not the same beer.

15. No

copslovebeer likes this.
  16. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

When asked via Twitter if OVER RATED would be year round or seasonal Todd Replied with "occasional!" I feel weird quoting people from Twitter especially since I have never met Todd in person, but he does post here from time to time so I guess it's all good.

17. Revenant

Wisconsin can have the Packers and their however many Super Bowl titles. We got Surly so WE WIN!!!

18. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I wear jumping boots. No bandwagon is too high or too full for me.
    Overrated beers are my whales.

19. pandera

pandera Zealot (95) Minnesota Jul 10, 2011

:D
    and Schells will come out with 'Fuckin Awesome'

20. jera1350

Looks like this was the original plan according to the Surly newsletter:

Overrated News
    This week, artwork for our upcoming canned West Coast IPA, Overrated, was leaked on the Internet. The unicorn-themed can art (below) was what we really wanted for Overrated but the Feds denied our artistic vision. They said it was too appealing to underage drinking, as if adults can't be into unicorns and rainbows?! Pfft. It's a little over the top, that's the joke...
    [​IMG]

21. OK the labels been approved so when will the cans be filled ?

22. jera1350

Any time you ask this question with Surly, you know what the answer will be.

"When it's ready".

23. i knew that was coming:)

Philly82785 and biniek13 like this.
  24. herman77

herman77 Advocate (535) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

25. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (425) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

My avatar approves of this...

26. jera1350

@ herman77

They email it out. I believe you can sign up on their website.

27. When is Surly gonna do a version of SA Utopias and call it Pay Up Sucka! ?

Revenant likes this.
  28. Revenant

I wonder if that Uni was raised in a stress free environment, on a strict grass diet.

29. hopefully free range too.

Revenant likes this.
  30. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

Want.

31. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

I think its great, the Feds don't know what they're talking about I know lots of adults who would love this can. I myself started laughing when I seen it.

32. yeah, but not every beer drinker has a Rainbow Bright fetish.

minnesotaryan and Ungertaker like this.
  33. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Its obviously directed towards girls in the 4-11 year old demographic. Notorious for their heavy drinking (especially of IPA's). It had to be stopped.

34. Philly82785

That's why its a joke...which is why it's funny. It actually reminded me of Diablo III.

35. mnstorm99

Marketing genius that this was both submited, and leaked. This will piss of the "Surly is just pretentious" crowd (seems to be more of them every time I go to any bar) even more.

36. You're the only one who says "fury" for Furious, Trav. Or are you? Is there a larger cult that does this? Is it a time-saver or does it just sound cool to you?

37. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

I'm a trendsetter, Al. However, this 'trend' hasnt moved much farther then my small group of friends who also refer to it as 'Fury'.

For the exciting background story, I take you back. The year was 2006, Surly, along with Furious was fresh on the scene. I enjoyed the beer but disliked the effort required to articulate the three syllables needed to communicate my need for more 'Fur-io-us' at the bar. Simply staying 'Fury' eliminated one of those troublesome syllables. Combine that with a line from the fine cinema classic 'Road Trip', co-starring Tom Green. There was a semi-memorable line where Tom Greens character, Barry, is responsible for feeding his friends pet snake a mouse. When said snake would not eat the mouse, Barry yells at the snake *'Unleash the Fury!' That line came to mind everytime I cracked a Furious.

*Exciting side note. In what I am sure is now a cult classic, the commercial I made for Surly in 2007(YouTube it, if you must) originally containted the 'Unleash the Fury' audio from the Road Trip movie. It ultimatley did not make the final edit for reasons I dont recall.

38. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Dammit! I will not be able to crack another furious with shouting "unleash the fury!" Thanks for putting
    That in my head.

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  39. or "Ours is the fury." which is what I would think, but I am pretty into game of thrones.

40. Philly82785

I talked to Omar last night at the Mild release at The Blue Nile. West Coast IPA will be similar to Bandwagon IPA but tweaked a little.