1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Pentagram

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by herman77, Jan 21, 2013.

1. herman77

herman77 Savant (490) Minnesota Jan 24, 2010

2. great news
  3. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I guess I'm going to have to get a buddy to hold onto some for me in the cities until I get down there for the WCHA Final Five
  4. elliott1184

elliott1184 Savant (320) Minnesota Mar 31, 2011

has anyone heard a date on this or anything more specific than sometime in February?
  5. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

Fantastic news! Only have one Five left, so this is great.
  6. KWMiles

KWMiles Initiate (0) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

I'd love to get my hands on a Five to drink next to a Pentagram if there is anyone out looking to help a BArother out!
  7. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

I cannot fucking wait.
    copslovebeer likes this.
  8. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

So do you think this will be more like an anniversary release or something like a Smoke release as far as demand? I'd guess more so than smoke but less than five and syx, assuming not everyone loves sours/Brett. Cause I definitely want to put some of these away, especially from how I hear five is drinking now.
  9. Same here! I'm glad I'll be able to restock.
  10. Akcellar8

Akcellar8 Aspirant (35) Oct 25, 2012

Have a couple of extra bottles of Five, maybe when I get established on BA, something can be worked out. While I am not new to the likes of BA, I am a newer member so any tips to steer me towards the correct path of advocacy will be much appreciated!
  11. KWMiles

Thanks MPLSBrewer, I'm all set!
    MPLSbrewer likes this.
  12. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Establish a connection with the community through trade and gatherings?
  13. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

I have found that I am not a huge fan of extra age on big malty beers (ie. I prefer fresh Darkness and the like). But, my beer cellar is slowly becoming more funky so I am very excited about this one coming out.
  14. It's mainly a packaging scheduling thing now.Shooting for bottling run starting in 8-9 days then wax dipping then out to stores.So 2-3 weeks?
  15. you really don't have to be too established to do an IP trade. I will meet you here in the TC for one of your 5's. Whatcha lookin for?
  16. I would suggest cleaning it once in awhile. Ya know, soap, water, maybe some bleach. Will clean that funk right out. Both your beer and your cellar.
    Ungertaker, mnstorm99 and Cyclone8 like this.
  17. Philly82785

Philly82785 Savant (265) Minnesota Dec 17, 2008

Awesome, I cant wait to compare it to Five.
  18. BierVogel

BierVogel Savant (250) Minnesota Oct 29, 2012

I'd also meet you in the TC for an In Person trade for a five, AKCellar8. Just PM me what you want for it.
  19. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

anyone drank a five lately? I still have one left
  20. Ungertaker

Ungertaker Savant (460) Minnesota Apr 30, 2010

No, but I will gladly drink yours and tell you how it was! ;)
  21. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

Yes - drinking quite well. Had one next to a batch 7 Supplication and Five definitely held its own.
  22. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

Good to know, I still have 2 and haven't decided if I'm going to trade them or what. Maybe I'll bring one with me along with a 3 year Darkness vertical and a Syx to San Francisco here in March when I plan on getting friends together for a tasting.
  23. KWMiles

Drinkin wales, bro?
  24. theCoder

Heh guess so. I ironically never touched any of my bottles of Darkness, five or syx I ever bought and have 3 X 2010, 3 X 2011 and 5 X 2012 Darkness, 2 X fives and 4 X syx. I got friends out in the Bay Area whom haven't tried any Surly so I figure have them grab some Firestone Walkers and other random things out there and I'll bring some various tasties from here :)
    KWMiles likes this.
  25. I know someone looking for a darkness 2010 if you are looking to trade one off.
  26. KWMiles

Be sure to score some RR sours!
  27. KWMiles

I'm sure that "someone" you know would even be willing to trade some Black Note... ;)
  28. theCoder

I ended up with 4 Black Notes actually, sold em to a friend who swears that's the best beer ever made and kept
    one for myself.

Haven't decided if I'm keeping those or not, I am likely going to be just drinking my cellar away since my beer budget has all but dried up completely. I've been thinking of looking to score some Bruery or RR stuff actually. Since my buddies in San Francisco don't quite go out of the city much especially for just my beer requests, getting RR is actually a royal pain, ex want Pliny the Elder? You better not go to San Francisco, it doesn't exist at least anywhere I've been when there. I go to Berkley where it flows like water, so I usually have my friends get me anything not distributed here which is mostly Firestone Walker. They generally send me whatever they find and I send them homebrew with random MN local only stuff or New Glarus.

Speaking of which I should have a shipment showing up soon with some 2012 and 2013 Sucaba hopefully...
  29. repivk

repivk Zealot (85) Minnesota Dec 8, 2012

I have some 2010 darkness for trade if that "someone" is interested...
  30. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Is Pentagram more like Brett Liquor or Commander Barley Wine?
  31. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Its the single barrel version of Five.
    Revenant likes this.
  32. KWMiles

33. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Advocate (535) Minnesota May 11, 2007

Neither. Not even close. Did I miss something?
    KWMiles likes this.
  34. Revenant

Glad it is nothing close to that cough syrup come Windsor of a boozy mess Commander was.
  35. KWMiles

Huh? Commander is a Lift Bridge brew...
  36. Yulles

Yulles Savant (305) Minnesota Apr 12, 2009

It was last year when they were bringing samples to anniversary parties. I believe, and those more knowledgeable please correct me if I am wrong, that these barrels have been blended.
  37. That is my understanding. Labeled/numbered bottles of single barrel would be pretty awesome though!
  38. Revenant

Sweet Barleywine, Ya Dingus!
  39. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

Has anyone heard cost and production numbers of this? Had a Five a week ago and it was great! Looking to get more shipped to me in Chicago...