1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surly Pentagram

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by herman77, Jan 21, 2013.

1. that is unacceptable, bm'd.

2. Wow, just wow. If your buddy can't find a bottle I'll give him one of mine. BM me. As Ryan said that is completely unacceptable.

laymansbeerfan and Mista like this.
  3. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Savant (305) Minnesota May 13, 2010

Exactly what's wrong with scene. I'd give you 1 if I had 1. Sorry this happened man.

4. Stories like this make me sad. I'm sorry this happened to your friend.

5. Mista

Mista Aficionado (205) Minnesota Nov 10, 2011

are you still looking for a bottle? I'll be at town hall later tonight around 8 and can bring one if you are still on the hunt.

HaveUSeenMyCellar, GFG and DoctorRock like this.
  6. XmnwildX12

XmnwildX12 Champion (770) Minnesota Nov 12, 2010

Should snap a picture of these people and post it...

7. I called around to places near where he was and found some in stock. He's all good now.

Ish1, djschnabel, leezy and 3 others like this.
  8. jatut

jatut Aficionado (130) Minnesota Jan 4, 2012

Some of the eden prairie liquor stores had some when I called earlier. Hopefully that piece of @&$# that bought that store out isn't reading this.

9. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

FrostyTiger found a place that had it close to him on his way out of town so he'll be good. Thanks though!

10. I can only hope that this guy dies of an unexplained, Pentagram related - very slow death

KWMiles, FrostyTiger and GFG like this.
  11. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

32 bottles? That guy needs a beat down and that liquor store employee needs to at least be suspended.

12. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

That is the perhaps the douchiest thing that I have ever heard/read. What's wrong with just being a human being? Console yourself with the fact that people like that have few/no friends and will die surrounded by nothing but cold, empty beer bottles.

KWMiles likes this.
  13. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

I just hope i don't know that guy.

arniepnminne likes this.
  14. stealth

stealth Advocate (545) Minnesota Dec 16, 2011

Unreal. Not only is the buyer a complete assclown but, like Rev insinuated, the store employee needs a kick in the throat. "Nothing I can do?" How about tell the guy to give him a bottle? What is he going to do, refuse to buy 31 bottles? Oh fucking well, not like they wouldn't have sold out in the next few hours/days.

whudathunkett, KWMiles and Revenant like this.
  15. I just hope that's a store I don't hit up when I'm in the cities

16. HoistinBrews

HoistinBrews Savant (370) Minnesota Mar 26, 2011

Keep an eye on Craigslist, you'll probably find this joker on there selling it.

PatrickJamesMulcahy and Revenant like this.
  17. accordselux

accordselux Savant (290) Minnesota Nov 26, 2007

Seriously. The assclown probably thinks

1) he can still sell it on eBay
    2) Beer geeks will be willing to pay 50 bucks for a sour. Given it's expanding in popularity, but it doesn't have the broader appeal of Darkness...

That's a total dick move. There is NO need for that many bottles at one store, especially if there is someone behind you wanting one. I could see myself, for example, buying a case or two of BCBS, if they had multiple available, but I wouldn't totally clear a damn store of it, especially knowing others are interested.

18. Bond111

Bond111 Savant (335) Minnesota Feb 14, 2011

I'm appalled & enraged by this. 32 bottles?!?!?!? What kind of asshat buys up that many? Someone who is wanting to rip people off essentially. No reason someone would need to trade even half of that for any real reason. The few bad apples ruin stuff like this for us true craft beer nerds/geeks.

It's similar to someone buying up all the great seats to a concert of your favorite band, just to scalp it to try to rip those same unlucky people whom really wanted those tickets to begin with.

Also, what is wrong with said employee that would think it's fine that someone is wanting to buy 32 bottles of beer his store just got yesterday/today & doesn't know its a pretty limited release.

I would love to say I hope this ends up like that dude selling Hopslam cases last year, but these don't have to worry about being consumed "fresh" unfortunately.

19. jjohnston884

jjohnston884 Aficionado (180) Iowa Feb 22, 2007

One person bought 0.00228571428 of the bottles. Its unfortunate he had to be a dick though. I am still confident in finding bottles next week.

20. Um. Hopefully that piece of @&$# IS reading this. That's unacceptable. Bet he ends up jerking off at home alone staring at his horde cause nobody will come play with him.

GFG likes this.
  21. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (415) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Maybe it was the same guy who listed the year old Hopslam on Craigslist for 20 bucks a few weeks back

22. shouldn't be too hard, zipps still had some today.

23. Bildo

Bildo Aficionado (185) Minnesota Jan 24, 2013

Hmm hard to say what i would do in his place....clicking the guys heels as he leaves with his bounty and record it on you tube for public humiliation comes to mind.

biniek13 likes this.
  24. Bildo

What a low life and doesn't deserve to be able to taste beers of this quality or another possibility he is a buyer for Surdyks...Just a thought.

25. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

That was me. Sorry I came off as a dick... how does $45 sound?

Curt1 and Penguin3200 like this.
  26. theCoder

theCoder Savant (330) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I totally woulda let the guy buy one or two, not that I would buy 32 flipping bottles. I got my 4 from Heritage and was quite happy with that especially since I only ended up with 2 5's (still have them actually) in the end after trading 2 away because having 5 fresh I was quite turned off by it. I thought it was way to sour, but I held out on my 2 hoping it would improve and had one 6 months later (a friend's) and was glad I kept them, and just realized I still have them recently so YAY :)

27. Bildo

Current pentagram sightings in the TC's?

28. The term asshat is so true.

Any word on when Roch will see some. I haven't heard a peep...

29. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

All I've heard is that there is a list at Apollo. When Darkness came out, the Northwest Liquors (old Apollo by Gander) had it in before anywhere else I saw.

30. Migsro

Migsro Disciple (50) Minnesota Nov 22, 2012

32 bottles? That's a little overboard, and annoying. The bottle is amazing though!!

I bought two, and I cracked open one last night, and it's been the only beer I couldn't finish. Although it was my first sour beer....

Hoping to trade my other one

31. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

Looks like princeton's is asking $24 a bottle.

32. Damn NW suburbs... I don't even want to know what you other people paid.

33. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Savant (425) Minnesota Oct 19, 2011

17-19/bottle. Sorry, had to say it.

motorhed likes this.
  34. motorhed

motorhed Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

Are you F'n kidding me? Get outta here... Jesus. Maybe if you buy 32 bottles they give you the 10% discount...just disappointing as i frequent this store. Wish there was more competition for them around the MG area but they can pretty much charge what they want. They are approaching MGM prices if they are really pricing this at $24.

35. elshaggy

elshaggy Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 12, 2009

My buddy just left and text me, "$52 for 2 bottles". Don't think he's to pumped about that but I'm sure he's glad to have gotten a pair. And it looks like I'm not getting any more.
    This solidifies my plans for all future surly releases. Wire cash to my St Paul connection Monday evening and pick the beer up next time I'm in the area. It gets consistently crazier as the week rolls on every time.

36. This comes up every time. Don't be mad at Princeton's. Out here, they have to buy from a distributor instead of directly from Surly. I'm almost positive that this is the same markup on these bottles as everything else in the store.

I'm not sure if Bill told me this in confidence or not, but he said that the $17 that other stores are charging is below his COST.

There will be a day sometime soon that no one buys directly from Surly. Then everyone will get to pay these 3 tier prices along with us NWers.

37. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

Correct. When Surly builds there new brewery, I have been told that they will no longer be able to distribute themselves. Everybody will be paying the same price.

38. Thanks for posting this. Yeah, I frequent this store quite a bit and what you posted is correct. Bill is a fantastic guy and one of my favorite liquor store owners of all the places I frequent. I BS with him every time I go there. This is also the reason Princeton's gets their releases on like Thursdays or Fridays, or sometimes the following week, when everybody else received theirs on Monday. They have to wait for it to go from Surly to distributor to them.

dougofthefuture likes this.
  39. motorhed

motorhed Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 27, 2008

Fair point and I hear ya. I understand the situation however as a consumer, i'm spending more to get the same thing....most people would object to that. Let me reiterate that I love Princeton's, Bill is a stand-up guy, the selection is great, and that they are such a great staple in the NW burbs but it looks like i'm going to have to source my specialty Surly stuff from someone else. Perhaps i hadn't noticed the price difference in the past because i don't typically end up buying the Surly 1-off bottles from them. I cant recall if i bought any limited surly release from them...

40. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Yep. All the prices I see on here for Surly that are listed as high/ridiculous are what I have always had to pay in Rochester.

RKPStogie likes this.