1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Surprising find: Fresh Sucks

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by rgfellow, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Today, I was surprised to see a few six packs of Sucks in the beer store cooler. The bottle date was 3/2, which is well past the brewery's own availability estimate, I believe. Does anyone know the story here? Oh, and hell yes, I bought some.

DocJitsu likes this.
  2. Whimpers

Whimpers Advocate (505) New York Dec 17, 2010

There's still a lot of sucks around here but it's all from the same jan 20th batch...I've held off on it.

dar482 likes this.
  3. No idea, but I feel like every time I think its done for, fresh stuff pops up again in my area. Although lately, in the last two weeks or so, I've only seen early and mid-February batch stuff. I'm wondering the same thing myself too.

4. Rainier

Rainier Savant (270) California Dec 20, 2012

I couldn't see the bottle date on mine...

5. Latest batch I've found in Denver is Feb 27. Would love more batches sent this way.

6. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (430) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

i believe the last one i saw was that jan20 batch? I held off as well, I wish i could find something a month fresher.

7. Jerry

Jerry Aficionado (215) Illinois Apr 15, 2012

The store I go to got some in yesterday. I was planning on going to pick some up today and it was already gone. I've yet to try it.

8. Seattle-ish area just got some.

9. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

I'm sure the january 20th batch is still tasty.

10. raynmoon

raynmoon Advocate (575) California Aug 13, 2011

You know you are from California when you see Lagunitas Sucks in every store and say "nah, it's not fresh enough".

11. shredder83

I wish I had that problem...

12. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

Dated 3/20. Damn I should've bought it on the 19th.;) HAHA Some hopheads tke it toooooo far.

shredder83 likes this.
  13. shredder83

i'm almost positive that i haven't had sucks fresher than 1-2 months....maybe i'm just slow picking it up lol

14. I remember being amazed when I bought some of the Feb 27 batch on Mar 1! Nothing like some fast distribution...this was in Davis, CA.

15. poopinmybutt

poopinmybutt Savant (280) Nebraska May 25, 2005

ive been drinking the 2/6 batch since mid feb and it still tastes real nice

16. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Been out of Sucks for three weeks now. You gotta be at the store the same day as delivery or "It Sucks"

17. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,050) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Not sure about that. Most places I go I see cases stacked upon cases. No idea about the dates though.
    I look at Sucks kind of like Celebration. I needs my fix and then I'm good for a while.

Mattco likes this.
  18. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

Last batch we saw here in Texas was from early February.

I WISH we'd get that magical last batch but the 20 cases of fresh Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale that just came into my local beer place (still a nice beer!) tells me we won't be getting any more. :(

19. mudbug

mudbug Advocate (500) Oregon Mar 27, 2009

Well it sucks to be me I guess

Lutter likes this.
  20. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (650) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Jan 20th is too old? Man you guys are though. That's barely 8 weeks. It's not dairy.

21. PattyMelt

PattyMelt Savant (270) Michigan Feb 3, 2013

I saw it @ a store in MI, didn't look at the bottle date. They also had Brown Shugga. Picked up both. :) Didn't look at dates, though.

22. shawnohall

shawnohall Savant (330) Texas Nov 8, 2009

Twice I went to my local Specs and bawked at picking up Sucks. Walked in today...it was still sitting on the shelf and saying to me "What, are you stupid?" So I bought it, and I didn't look at the date. Apparently Conroe, TX hasn't gotten the word about Sucks. Obtaining it was no big deal. This will be my first time trying it.​

23. Qwest_35

Qwest_35 Savant (265) Florida Feb 4, 2013

Any recent Florida sightings? I have not seen this anywhere around me in Ft. Lauderdale since January, and it was gone in a matter of days. Now I'm seeing that people in other states are getting bottles born in March? I talked to my local shop guys and they all said that they only got about 2 cases and have tried to get more with no success, This is is their most popular brew besides Hop Stoopid, and that stuff is everywhere, collecting dust on the shelf! Lagunitas needs to make this stuff year round already!

24. markgugs

markgugs Champion (990) New Jersey Dec 20, 2006

It its, there's literally nothing wrong with it.

zstef99 likes this.
  25. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

I've been buying and drinking Jan batches since they first showed up and and the hoppiness has held up better than in most of the DIPAs I've tried. Do not be scared to buy 'em.

26. EdTheEdge

EdTheEdge Advocate (530) California Mar 26, 2011

I'm still buying and very much enjoying Sucks. It's still the best beer I've had in a long long time.

highdesertdrinker and Bitterbill like this.
  27. If this beer is so cheap and amazing, why is it still EVERYWHERE?? There's cases here at every beer store in NC. So tired of IPA threads bc of this beer.

28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poobah (1,145) Wyoming Sep 14, 2002

Call me weird but I reckon that if it is everywhere, that is a MAJOR +.

29. If a beer is available and affordable it cannot possibly amazing??? Although a few people on this site seem to have that feeling, I have to respectfully disagree.

DrStiffington and dianimal like this.
  30. Wish there were cases still available around here.

Hermthegerm likes this.
  31. dianimal

dianimal Advocate (530) California Apr 18, 2012

I wish it was more available to all of you, too. I have seen it within the past week in two of the stores I frequent and have passed it up because there was something else I wanted instead. And I love Sucks.

32. It just popped up again in Rockland County, NY last week; I don't know about the bottling date, though.

33. MichPaul

MichPaul Advocate (710) Michigan Jan 28, 2012

I'm with ya there. I sitting here thinking of how, if I still had room in my beer fridges, that I would still buy the Jan batch today!

34. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (715) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Was lucky enough to find Sucks while in Missouri this week. I'm guessing they use a Julian date code? Is it the 1st 3 digits or what?

35. Yes, that is the latest batch. The Bottle neck doesn't lie.

36. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (655) Florida Jul 15, 2011

Sucks sold out here within about a week. It was really sad, as I ended up only getting one sixer since it was my first time trying it. I hope another shipment comes...

37. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Could someone show me where the bottle date is on Sucks?

38. It's on the neck, printed in black. Faint, but shine a light behind the bottle and you will see it. The first three digits of the code indicate the day of the year it was bottled. Mine has "058", which I guess means the 58th day of the year.

Source: https://sites.google.com/site/freshbeeronly/u-s-breweries

Whoever made this site is a genius.

sukwonee likes this.
  39. It's on the neck, just above the shoulder of the bottle. Look at the first three digits- that's the day of the year it was bottled (there is no year digit).

sukwonee likes this.
  40. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (560) Washington Dec 13, 2011

Thank you so much for the link :cool:

I just need to learn how to convert days into months ... and days

dianimal likes this.