1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

surprising find

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by dbol, Mar 24, 2012.

1. dbol

dbol Aficionado (245) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

i'm in new york at the moment and was very surprised to see a bomber of mountain goat IPA for 28 USD at a beer store in grand central station. now it's a decent IPA, but $28? crazy. i must say it was really cool to see an australian beer here on the shelf other than coopers.
  2. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (655) Australia Jul 14, 2008

That's pretty damn high. It sells for around $12 here (which isn't bad by Australian standards). It's definitely a nice IPA but it isn't $28 nice.
  3. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

I think Mountain Goat releases its IPA in the US as "Australian Pale Ale" or something, the "IPA" range would be Australia only (although I think it's the same beer- says a lot that an IPA for the Australian market is a Pale Ale in the US Context). This might mean it's grey market.

Either way they are gouging the &^#@ out of you, as most Australian beers actually end up cheaper when they're sold in the US because of differing excise laws and because the US is a more competitive market.
  4. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

5. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

6. dbol

dbol Aficionado (245) Missouri Aug 19, 2007

the guy working there was even skeptical. i could have sworn it was the ipa. i may be back in the vicinity over the next few days so i'll get another look in. definitely could be grey market if it had the ipa label.
  7. Lukie

Lukie Savant (415) Australia Jun 16, 2007

Geez. You could get 2 Cigar City 750's for that price.
  8. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

Or 18 x Torpedo.

I guess i hope this is drunk soon and not for $28...sadly i could be wrong on both fronts.
  9. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Yeah, I can see it sitting on shelves for a good long while at that price. Good beer, but that price is way outta line.