1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sushi pairings?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by Nightrain89, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Nightrain89

Nightrain89 Aspirant (40) Jan 13, 2013

Any advice?
  2. Don't drink Kirin Ichiban. The only thing I'd pair that beer with is Death Valley in August.
  3. Berliner Weisse, pilsner, kolsch, ESB.
  4. Hockey_Fan

Hockey_Fan Advocate (510) Maryland Jan 13, 2013

I'd go with a K├Âlsch or a Hefeweizen.
  5. For me it's always saison or berliner.
  6. Hitachino's Nest
    sirtomtom likes this.
  7. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Savant (480) New Jersey Feb 23, 2004

Love a crisp pilsner with sushi. Feels good on the tongue after a mountain of wasabi.
  8. Hitchino Nest White Ale
    sirtomtom and mklisz like this.
  9. I know it somewhat defeats the purpose of the topic, but I would honestly just advise to skip the booze when eating sushi. Hear me out: sushi is meant to be a subtly-flavored food, and the whole point of it is to use the absolute best ingredients and let them shine alone. Drinking beer with that type of food is somewhat wasteful, as the intense flavors of beer would dull your palate to the subtle fish. Basically, the beer turns your delicate sushi meal into an expensive rice and protein appetizer. While living in Japan, I always stuck to water or genmaicha (green tea with toasted rice, which compliments the nori).
    miamichael2 likes this.
  10. Genmaicha, IMHO, isn't any worse than beer in masking the flavor of sushi. The toasted rice is very strong and loves to linger on the tongue. Even a bit of ginger doesn't quite cleanse the palate of it.

Generally I just drink green tea or Asahi Super Dry when I'm at my local sushi bar. The Asahi is pretty light, if my bar served Hefeweizen, I probably would get that as well.
  11. henryl

henryl Initiate (20) Jan 17, 2013

pilsner would be the ultimate pair!
  12. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Savant (495) Missouri May 11, 2012

Sake my friend, next choice would be a brut sparkling wine. Kolsch and berliner would be good choices but not many sushi places have decent beer selection, and those that do aren't the ones I eat at (ie "rolls" with stupid names covered in some sort of nasty mayo sauce and dance music playing)