1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

SW Michigan and Kuhnhenn

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by TheoV, Jan 23, 2013.

1. TheoV

TheoV Aficionado (160) Wisconsin May 16, 2012

I have a few questions about the Michigan beer that I'm hoping someone could help me with. The first is when is Fourth Dementia available? Also whe it is available, how easy to get is it? Additionally, does anyone know of a good bottle shop in the southwest corner of the state (preferably as easy to get to from Chicago as possible). Thanks.

2. fAtHanD

fAtHanD Aficionado (170) Michigan Mar 7, 2007

Fourth Dementia is out now. I just bought a bottle of Bourbon Barrel Aged this past weekend from the pub.

To my knowledge it did not get distributed beyond the brewpub, but others from the west side might be better able to comment on that.

3. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Only on the east side of michigan

4. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

Go to the brewery. Call ahead and ask if they have the beer you're looking for. That's really all you can do. They release their more notable beers on the Winter and Summer Solstices. Many times they are available for months afterward.

5. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I've never personally seen 4D in stores, although a bar by my house would occasionally buy some bottles and sell them - bumped up to 15$ a bottle!

Your best bet is buying straight from Kuhnhenn - only 8$ a bottle, fresh, etc. I just got some last Saturday.

6. The farthest west that I've ever seen 4D is in Ann Arbor. It's rare that anything from Kuhnhenn makes it any farther west than that.

7. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

4D used to hit Grand Rapids a couple of years ago. I have not heard of it making it to this side of the state lately.

8. Dcv

Dcv Aficionado (240) Michigan Nov 12, 2009

Central City Tap House in Kalamazoo does a pretty good job of getting Kuhnhenn kegs, and HopCat gets the occasional keg.

Unless you just meant anything in regards to just bottles.

9. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

lol, ONLY!

vivasbeer likes this.
  10. TheoV

TheoV Aficionado (160) Wisconsin May 16, 2012

Thanks for the information, everyone. 4D is one of my favorite beers, but since I'm driving from Madison, I was really hoping I could just make a quick trip over the state line and grab some during one of my trips to Chicago. I think I'll just have to trade for it, as 6+ hours is a bit far to drive, just to buy beer.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  11. jbck109

jbck109 Savant (340) Michigan May 30, 2010

Occasionally Sicilianos in GR will get a little bit of Khunhenn stuff, but it is VERY sporadic, they had the braggot a couple months ago, and had some 4-d last year. I have also seen some Khunhenn at Beverage International and Peters Imports in Grandville. Khunhenn is a smaller brewery, and really doesnt have the capacity for distribution, but does try to get some out there for their followers. I guess New York gets some disto, which I have never understood. The rest of their home state would love more, but we will take what we get, when we get it.

founder26 likes this.
  12. Yeah, I was referring to bottle distribution, but it's nice to know of a couple of places that sometimes have Kuhnhenn stuff on tap.

13. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

I see lots of places in SE Mich with Kuhnhenns on tap.

14. mike409

mike409 Aficionado (210) Michigan Jan 25, 2012

shit, bar louie auburn hills has DRIPA on tap.

15. ^^^^^^^ I was referring to western Michigan locations where Kuhnhenn stuff is not very available.

16. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Hah, well the few bars that occasionally get a hold of it near my neighborhood sell it for around 15$ a bottle, so it makes 8$ seem really cheap.

17. JohnB87

JohnB87 Savant (325) Michigan Mar 14, 2011

Just last year, I was buying 4-packs of regular 4D for 17.99 and BA4D for 19.99 and this was at a liquor store.