1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Switzerland

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Stevedore, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Howdy,

My fianceé and I will be in Switzerland from June 23-28 starting in Zurich, going through to the Berner Oberland where we're spending most of the time and then to Montreux before heading onto Paris. What's the beer situation there? From what I remember, Swiss beers tend to follow in the vein of Bavarian and Austrian styles, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think I'd want to take any bottles back (glasses for sure though) but do let me know if there's anything I should be looking for.

What are some good beer bars/gastropubs in Zurich? And in Lausanne/Montreux?

And when we head up to the Berner Oberland, what beers should I be sure to buy when I go grocery shopping in Interlaken/Murren to take with us?

Much thanks for helping me plan this part of our trip!
  2. Augustiner719

Augustiner719 Savant (405) New York Dec 11, 2008

In Zurich there is the Zeughauskeller which is a german styled beer hall. They have maybe 8 beers (mostly swiss and german beers if not all) but its a great place to go for lunch. I have been there twice and both times I enjoyed myself. Switzerland isn't really a beer mecca, in fact its predominantly a wine country, but Zurich has a few options especially on Neiderdorfstrasse .

Interlaken is home to Ruggenbrau which you can find everywhere. They make about 4 or 5 brews, but you will probably just find the Zwickel, Helles and Spezial Helles. All decent, the Zwickel was my favorite.

Montreux is definitely a wine biased city. Not too many places there for a good brew, but neighboring Lausanne (maybe 15-20 mins on the SBB train line) does have a good selection of places to go for a good beer.

Hope that helps, have fun in Switzerland!
  3. Stevedore

Yeah, we will definitely have our share of wine while we're in the Lake Geneva area for sure. And I'll have to check out Neiderdorfstrasse for dinner for sure. Thanks for the tips!
  4. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Just bring lots of money. Lots.
    OtisCampbell likes this.
  5. I live in the French part of Switzerland, Lausanne area. In my opinion, the best small breweries of Switzerland are located in the French part (I know, it sounds weird :)). My favorite ones are BFM and Trois Dames. The BFM produces a Bière de Garde called "Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien" (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2958/30955) which was considered the best barrel aged beer of the world by the NYT giving it some "notoriety" in US (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/07/dining/07wine.html?_r=0). The Trois Dames produces also a big variety of styles in which their Double-IPA is one of my favorites. So, do not think that swiss beers are always "german-like", it's a common mistake. BTW, don't want to bring me some US bottles? I can tell you (take you) to the best beer places around in return ;)
  6. Stevedore

If I can make it to the Lake Geneva area, I can definitely check a couple bottles in my bag. As of right now we are looking at 3 days in the Berner Oberland (the wifey is a big fan of the great outdoors) and 1 day in Montreux to see Chateau de Chillon before we head out to France.
  7. Cool! Switzerland is a beautiful country, mainly for the ones who love natural landscapes. You will have a lot to see at Berner Oberland, you can go, for instance, to Interlaken which is a small village surrounded by the alps. The Swiss capital city (Bern) is also quite beautiful and worth visiting. But the region between Montreux and Lausanne is the most beautiful area for me. If you take the route between Montreux and Lausanne by the Leman Lake's border (AKA Geneva Lake), you will have a fantastic landscape of the Vineyards of Lavaux, the lake itself and the French mountains in the other side (including the Mont Blanc). Well, let's have a chat in pvt so that we can talk about beer business ;)