1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Sycamore/dekalb trip today

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Nachos4two, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (640) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

I will be venturing to the sycamore / dekalb area today. I remember multiple times BA's speaking of finding good grabs out there that fly off the shelves in the local burbs. Just curious if anyone has seen anything crazy at the stores there. Feel Free to pm me as well. Thanks in advance.

2. chronie

chronie Aficionado (180) Illinois Aug 1, 2011

Hey Nachos. I went to school at NIU. I'm going to post what I posted in a thread a while back.

There are two Lundeens that you will want to check out. One is near NIU on Annie Glidden. The other is in Sycamore on rt 23. They probably have the best beer selection, and are only 15 min from each other. Although my god they will gouge you on some of the rare releases. A few of the beer guys are cool but sometimes the owners just ramp up the prices.

About 5min from the Dekalb Lundeens is a meat market called Imbodens. The beer guy is great and will literally cater to your needs or help you pick out a beer. However, this is not a primary beer store. The beer prices are very expensive. Alot of hard to find brewery's and beers but you will pay mucho.

The best value and the second biggest selection is Hyvee which is also in Sycamore off rt 23. Great selection and cheap beers. In my opinion, the best place to get beer in Dekalb. It seems like in the past few years Dekalb liquor stores got caught up in the craft beer scene and raised their prices. This is why it is nice to see a Hyvee. Probably the closest thing to a Binnys type environment.

3. Duffman929

Duffman929 Savant (380) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

Grab a bottle Rare and Cherry Rye while you are there.

crushedvol likes this.
  4. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

its a myth, i was there a while ago and stopped at all the spots these folks talked about. There was nothing special, but maybe I didn't give the dekalb password to the secret lairs.

5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Secret DeKalb punch to jaw?

Photekut and PDZ like this.
  6. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (475) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

Yay...more Dekalb jokes!

This should be more fun then back when grandma died.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  7. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Give this guy a day off of work and he's all over the interwebs stirrin the pot.

raymo55 likes this.
  8. stevegoz

stevegoz Savant (325) Illinois May 5, 2008

The password is "Amnesia, brah."

redsand22 likes this.
  9. Our favorite DeKalb resident is back on the Twitter! Tweet him for the inside scoop on where to find Black Note, BCSC, etc etc!

10. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Poobah (1,005) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

Absolute gold!

11. PDZ

PDZ Savant (260) Illinois Jun 26, 2012

better bring two cars for all the whales youre about to get

12. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Hit me up...I'll show you the goods.

13. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,010) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

How much of any of this is actually serious?

14. So what are the results from your trip?

15. Nachos4two

Sculpin was at lundees. Nothing really else there not available in my area. Thanks all. And the secret passwords didn't work lol cheers.

16. Lansman

Lansman Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

So CBS and Rare are still available in your area?

17. burica2020

burica2020 Savant (430) Illinois Nov 17, 2009

Oh right, ballast point is available out there. Nice. Is heavy seas available out there or is that southern Illinois?

18. Nachos4two

those were not there and I asked!!!!! I hope your joking cause that would be a awesome find as I was unable ever to try either

19. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (285) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Just for clarification.....

I was the member that announced CBS is still in Dekalb(only 1 bottle of Rare, its being held for me by one of the beer guys at a local Dekalb store) . . . . CBS is only in ONE store in all of dekalb county. No secret password or girlfriend hot enough to get you ANY CBS. It's being held and he will not sell ANY(believe me I would be trading them on here if I could buy them).
    I also mentioned that a case of Fruet is sitting in a dekalb liquor store, this is true, and it is for sale; however not sitting on the shelf, just have to ask for it, no secret password required (last time I checked they also still have 375's of cantillon gueze for 9$)

Also, FYI/PSA....One of the mentioned stores in Dekalb(not by me), the beer guy just got fired in the last week. This will definitely effect the amount of "shelf whales" coming into dekalb, as he was replaced by a girl(yes girl, not woman, shes hardly old enough to drink) who knows little to nothing compared to the beer guy shes replacing who was in the position for a few years and who made MANY friends and loyal customers.
    :(

And OP, sorry for no response to BM, I'll tell you the same thing I told everyone else; "nobody told me where the goods where, I found ém myself through effort"

And finally, I just figured out like last week that Dekalb gets Ballast Point but that the rest of Chicagoland does not.....I had no idea, I had always assumed it was everywhere in Illinois. Crazy. Not really a Sculpin fan though anyways, however, Victory at Sea is another story :D

20. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Thanks for clarifying.

Bay01, JRBecks, PDZ and 5 others like this.
  21. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (415) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Trollin......They tryin to catch me trollin durty..... trollin durty

beerhan likes this.