1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tørst bar set to open in New York City (Jeppe, Evil Twin)

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Denoas, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denoas

Denoas Aficionado (215) New York Jan 22, 2013

Come March, Denmark’s indie-beer maestro Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergsø (Evil Twin Brewing) will plant a flag in Greenpoint with the game-changing Tørst. The visionary Jarnit-Bjergsø is something of a legend in brew circles: Along with his twin brother, Mikkel Borg Bjergsø of Mikkeller Brewing, he helped ignite the gypsy-beer craze in 2006—inspiring nomadic, experimental young brewers to hopscotch around the world fermenting their goods in borrowed facilities.

Designed by voguish Brooklyn firm hOmE (Donna, Paulie Gee’s), the 45-seat Tørst—Danish for “thirst”—will reflect Scandinavian minimalism, with dark reclaimed wood and angular light fixtures. Keyed-in drinkers can scratch their chins over 21 elite drafts, including some made exclusively for the bar by cutting-edge brewers such as Cantillon’s Jean van Roy of Brussels and experimental tinkerings from up-and-coming cult producers like De Molen (Netherlands) and Omnipollo (Sweden).

Rounding out his ambitious vision, Jarnit-Bjergsø has joined forces with another esteemed culinary figure: Chef Daniel Burns (late of Noma, the Fat Duck and Momofuku’s food lab) will execute a Scandinavian-inspired tasting menu at the tentatively named Luksus, a 26-seat restaurant—expected to launch in the summer—accessed via a secret door at the back of the bar. More radically: As high-end restaurants like Eleven Madison Park and Per Se expand their beer lists to match the seriousness of their wine programs, Luksus will do away with vino and cocktails altogether, serving only brews alongside its haute constructed plates. It’s a ballsy move—but if the gypsy-brewing movement is any indication, we expect to see many more beerestaurants in the future. 615 Manhattan Ave between Driggs and Nassau Aves, Greenpoint, Brooklyn (no phone yet)

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/food-drink/preview-torst-bar-set-to-open-in-new-york-city

Definitely looking forward to this, Sounds amazing.

2. Evil Twin + Brooklyn + Exclusivity = 30 dollars per 12 ounce pour.

sandman3479, brystmar and duceswild like this.
  3. Denoas

HA HA certainly hope not. $10 is bad enough for a 12 oz, even though Even more Jesus & Aun mas Jesus were delicious.

4. Yea. The price point of their stuff generally is something I am not a fan of, but from a neutral standpoint Even More Jesus was a great brew.

5. Denoas

6. jbuddle

jbuddle Initiate (0) New York Feb 24, 2010

Been following this for awhile...let's hope it's something like his brothers bar in Denmark. I'm psyched for sure.

GrumpyOldTroll likes this.
  7. duceswild likes this.
  8. this was the only part I read... should be interesting

corby112 and jbuddle like this.
  9. jbuddle

jbuddle Initiate (0) New York Feb 24, 2010

USA One-Offs, bro.

brystmar and WhereTheWildBeersGo like this.
  10. cryme

cryme Aficionado (170) Delaware Jun 29, 2011

blabaer on draft? one can hope

11. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

yeah, that alone could make the bus/train/whatever from philly worth it

12. the beer drinking Dane in me is very excited about this.....

13. WiscoNYC

WiscoNYC Aficionado (160) New York Jan 12, 2012

A 15min walk from my apartment. Why couldn't they make it closer? Come on Jeppe!

14. brystmar

brystmar Initiate (0) Texas Sep 2, 2009

I think you meant 8oz

15. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Like all his beers this is likely to be over mythologized, over rated, over hyped, over priced. I think I will stick to the undoubtedly better and certainly cheaper offerings nearer to home. Evil Twin, and the beers of his brother also, should be marketed under the brand name "Barnum's Prediction".

AventinusCam and ClockworkOrange like this.
  16. POTABLE83

POTABLE83 Savant (410) New York Jun 21, 2012

That's a ridiculous tap list. Well done Yeppe...

I wonder if Blåbær will be on tap or in bottles - either way, that is an unexpected gem

17. kegs of blabaer exist? SHRIEK!

yamar68 and corby112 like this.
  18. Spoke to Jeppe the other night and while he was exceedingly friendly he warned that at this point folks might want to wait a few days before next Friday's opening because he expects a total clusterfuck of a mob scene the first night. I'd love to go the first night but I'm not going to battle a million people to get a pour of Fou Foune...or will I?

19. BierKonig

BierKonig Aficionado (240) Denmark Mar 31, 2005

You are all invited, even all the Evil Twin haters out there, you might actually be able to enjoy yourself :) Tørst is looking forward to welcoming all of you!

We open at noon next friday!

20. BierKonig

Don't be afraid of missing anything if you don't come friday. There will be other days...:)

POTABLE83, cosmicevan and corby112 like this.
  21. also... the Justin Blabaer actually exists? o_O

22. BierKonig

I'm very afraid so yes ;)

23. Crookdrain

Crookdrain Savant (395) New York Jan 13, 2010

Can we have a special "Beer Advocate pre-opening hour" to drain the Fou Foune? Haha, either way I'll be there - save me some Fou Foune!

24. Yeah that's what I figured...let the dust settle a little so I can come in and drink in peace with a bunch of total GEEKWADS elbowing me in the ribs to get at that precious, precious Cantillon.:rolleyes:

djrn2 likes this.
  25. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Site Editor (950) North Carolina Dec 8, 2007 Staff Member

Definitely planning on coming with metter98 at some point... Looking forward to it.

26. So...if I showed up at noon Friday do you think things would be mobbed even at that early hour?

27. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

ARG, I am going to be in town Wed and thursday!

28. Alewife in Long Island City had Fou' Foune on tap for a Cantillon event last year; I just missed getting a pour of it. There's 8 Cantillon's on that piece of paper....amazing

29. Thanks to Philly being awesome... I've had Fou on draft about 5 different times. Huzzah!

victory4me and corby112 like this.
  30. Maybe even 9 if the Gueuze listed in the second column is classic Gueuze.

31. Absolutely amazing list! Looks like ill be taking a lot of trips up to Brooklyn in the near future.

32. Franch

Franch Advocate (540) New York Mar 22, 2011

excited for justin blabaer

33. Nice list! I'd be pissed I was missing this if I wouldn't be in Brussels next Friday. That said, save the Blabaer for when I get back please :)

Good luck with the opening!

phillybeer7779 and corby112 like this.
  34. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

me thinks me should look into taking off the 8th.

35. BeerWorld

BeerWorld Savant (370) New York Feb 20, 2008

That tap list is bonkers. Will try to stop by after work if I can. Looks like I'll be taking a lot of G train rides to get back home to Queens from now on.

36. Did you happen to find a price list or should we just let BA decide for Jeppe what he will charge??

37. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (810) New York Dec 13, 2009

pony bar model, everything is $5!

WhereTheWildBeersGo likes this.
  38. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

Silly man. You can't put a price on Cantillon!

39. Apparently there are plenty of BA'ers that feel they can put the price on anything hes involved in...JK reference to the thread that ran him off

40. Denoas

Wow that's a hell of list! I can't wait for the opening Friday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.