t0rin0's "fourth" annual Labor Day tasting, Sunday Sept. 2nd

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by t0rin0, Aug 9, 2012.

1. t0rin0

t0rin0 Champion (820) California Dec 30, 2006

Didnt do last year because of the proximity to Woodshop, hence the "fourth". Same as every other year. As usual I have WAY too much beer so I'll be opening plenty of bottles but you're welcomed to bring what ever you want.

Sunday September 2nd. Thats opening weekend of the LA county fair, and it's 5 blocks away from the north gate. Plenty of parking available here.

No whales needed, no ticks needed, just show up with a beer (or as much as you want) and some food. I'll have 2 gas grills and a charcoal grill if anyone wants to cook on those as well as access to the stove/oven and microwave inside if anyone needs those.

Could definitely use some lawn chairs and easy ups. Will have the keg fridge running if anyone wants to bring homebrew kegs (pin lock only right now). Thinking of 1pm as a starting time again.

**bring your own glassware.

The adress is in the event page (I'm close to the LA County Fair in La Verne if you want a rough idea). If we only have 20-25 people I'm fine with that but I would like to cap this around 50 if I get that much interest so RSVP on the event page .

Will post the event page soon (I forgot that it takes a while for the events to be approved here).

2. vacax

vacax Advocate (630) California Jun 3, 2008

Let's hope for another 108 degree day.

3. Will the oven be functioning as a smoke bomb?

Also, how much ham will you have?

4. Gobzilla

Gobzilla Savant (455) California Apr 21, 2010

Dope.. definitely down for that

5. t0rin0

Plenty of ham to go around. Should have some lambic, some Daisy Cutter, some strawberry Berliner, and about a case of beer that I didnt open at Ratebeer Summer Gathering. I assume that Gil will be there with some OSA magnums too.

Fatso, if you want to pay for it there are probably another dozen Mikkeller ticks at West Lake View right now. The only one I'm planning on getting is the wild strawberry Spontanale.

6. vacax

Mikkeller ticks? This just gets better and better...

7. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

I just got the case of Zombie Dust I tried to have for our last tasting. I'll be bringing a few six packs to wash down the ticks!

8. The Strawberry sounds fine to me. I think I'm all Mikkellered out after the last episode.

9. t0rin0

Looks like the event page is up. Do we not get BMs anymore informing us when something we added has been approved?

http://beeradvocate.com/events/info/56198

I'll have a couple of random 7venth Sun bottles to open as well as some New Glarus Saison (the new thumb print).

10. Perhaps I should drive back up to Santa Barbara and get a growler of Habanero Hot Shot Pilsner from The Brewhouse. Everyone needs to experience such excellence.

And who knows, they might have 8 new beers on since I was there two days ago.

11. t0rin0

I've been telling everyone about that beer for years now. Also be sure to try the habenero hot shot wheat.

12. t0rin0

New batch of strawberry Berliner is kegged. Come help me drink it. And pperez was talking about doing a carne asada showdown for anyone that wants to bring a couple lbs of their favorite to grill.

13. jerz

jerz Savant (290) California Jul 26, 2008

I'm hoping people actually bring food this time, it has been fun having multiple bags of chips from each person, but actually having real food would be nice at one of these. Pretty sure I will be there and I will have some interesting stuff to share.

14. GRG1313

GRG1313 Champion (890) California Jan 15, 2009

Jer, should I bring one of my pork shoulders? People seem to like them at my tasting....yes? No? I can bring it cooked and sliced.....

womencantsail likes this.
  15. Word. It's just as easy to pick up some chicken or salads or something from the grocery store as it is to buy a few bags of chips.

And yes, please, Richard.

16. DoubleJ

DoubleJ Champion (970) California Oct 13, 2007

One thing I learned from the past event is that cheese melts in the hot sun. I promise to bring something different this year.

17. jerz

jerz Savant (290) California Jul 26, 2008

Richard, this sounds good to me. Jake and I will be there assuming it is under 90 degrees. If it is 90+ I will just see everyone at the next tasting.

18. cquiroga

cquiroga Savant (300) California Oct 14, 2004

Current 10-day forecast calls for a high of 90 that day. Could be an interesting subplot to follow over the coming week.....

I'm about 40/60 to make this thing, at this point. I'd love to come, but have family stuff on and off throughout the weekend.

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  19. Bring chicken wings.

20. cquiroga

cquiroga Savant (300) California Oct 14, 2004

THEY CLOSED!!!

I'm devastated. Too many morans in the world who simply don't appreciate the magic of those Korean fried wings, and instead eat corn dogs, orange chicken, stuffed pizza, and other food court abominations.

Now I have to trek all the way to K-town when I wanna get my Kyochon fix, which means I'll probably only make it out there once or twice a year (like when I see a show at the Wiltern). For shame, I know....

21. t0rin0

Does that mean that voteforgoat will be there?

Its summer time, asking for less than 90 degrees is asking for an excuse not to go. Would apricot berliner, saison, and smoked ham change your mind?

NoSignsOfPain likes this.
  22. Ah man, i'm fifty fifty right now... have a soccer tournament on this weekend, if the team does well, i'll be on the field til late Sunday. (in which case i'll figure out a way to get you this magnum of vintage OSA i've been saving for you)

That and some tampico.

23. I haz a sad.

I'll have to look for a local alternative. Or make a stop on my few times a year trips to Korea Town.

24. t0rin0

Anyone want to try some 7venth Sun? I'll have the following:

[​IMG]

Plus another case of big bottles.

Is your brother going to make the arduous 3 block walk this year or do we have to ridicule him for another year? The kid has to be at least a couple years old now so he cant use the newborn excuse anymore.

25. I am in! Just don't step on the hops ;)

26. Will tick them all. I informed pperez38 that I acquired some wonderful $2 sakes and Korean beers at H Mart yesterday. I may not be able to stay and Advocate all day, so it will probably be rapid fire ticking, Stuffed Sandwich style.

I'll also bring a case of Melange 3 to help everyone stay hydrated and sober.

27. vacax

La Verne Weather
    Weekend Forecast
    Sunday, Sep 2
    95°F

:eek:

28. t0rin0

Still 13 degrees cooler than last time.

29. t0rin0

I should mention that you can bring anyone you want to bring, dont have to be on BA or even be a beer nerd at all. Just remind them that it's a pot luck style so bring some food at least but preferably a beer too though I think we'll have plenty of beer, between my bottles and the stuff that pperez brought over already I have about 3 cases in the fridge already plus 10 gallons of strawberry berliner on tap.