1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Taking a break from beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 7, 2013.

1. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

My guy and I are going to take a two week beer break after this weekend. Really just drinking in general, but I can't remember the last time I drank and it wasn't craft beer. We're going to Denver this weekend, and it would be kind of ridiculous to pass up a chance to visit some new breweries (we're in northern Wyo...new brews are exciting, lol). But after that, we just want to take a break.

It's not like we drink every night, and I probably end up only having even a beer 2-4 nights out of the week. We usually go out with friends on Friday and Saturday, Sunday is homebrewing day and we usually have a tasting of one or two beers, and we might have a beer paired with dinner some night during the week. But lately I've felt like there's been too much alcohol present in my life. I want to "enjoy craft beer" not "drink."

So we're going to take a 2-week hiatus and kind of reset. We'll still homebrew, I'll still check out BA forums, but I just want to enjoy a few weeks of activities that aren't centered on beer. We'll save a few bucks and maybe drop a pound or two, and the beer will taste that much sweeter after giving our tastebuds a break.

Has anyone ever done this?

2. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (680) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

3. I 'enjoy craft beer' every single night.

4. I did this a couple times. Whenever I have a couple weeks off I'll wind up drinking a beer or two each night, when typically I only drink beers over the weekend. But after two weeks of doing that, I took a few weeks off and things tasted that much better when I went back. It's nice to hit the reset button once in a while.

JxExM likes this.
  5. Absolutely, I have. I go through spurts where I go from not drinking much at all, if any, to having 3-4 beers a week tops. I use to be a real big boy, I weighed over 270 pounds, and I didn’t get down to 175 and low body fat by drinking a lot, so I’m really health conscious. However, in saying that, I fully agree with your statement about “enjoying craft beer”. It’s way too expensive of a hobby/enjoyment to guzzle down 3-4 Hopslams or BCBS’s in a night, or hell, even in a week.

6. JoeyBeerBelly

JoeyBeerBelly Initiate (0) New York Dec 15, 2006

I usually take a break from beer for about 7-8 hours each night when I'm asleep but that's even a long time for me!

Seriously, taking a break is always a good thing and yes, the beer will taste much better when you have the 1st one after a break.

Have a nice time in Denver.

Good Luck & Cheers!

tjwarren, MEW, godlessape and 17 others like this.
  7. djrn2

djrn2 Champion (915) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

I quit for three months straight. I lost 30 pounds. Started drinking again and it came right back. I've tried to do it again but I find myself drawn to the delicious craft brews, and I succumb.

8. ESeab

ESeab Advocate (505) New Jersey Jan 3, 2013

I'm planning on doing this as well. I realize right now I only don't drink about 1-2 nights a week (probably more towards the one side). I'm constantly surrounded by beer and checking out this site often really makes me thirsty. I have a birthday coming up so after that I'm going to hold off for a bit, probably 1-2 weeks. Money is probably the biggest issue. I have been buying expensive bombers, and 4-pack galore for the first time ever really. Though I drink a lot during the week, nothing will ever compare to the binging I did in college, so I'm not worried about that too much. The weight thing fortunately is not an issue with me, I hope to God I don't lose weight when I take a break.
    Have fun on your vaca

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Take a break from drinking delicious craft beer?

No. No, man. Shit, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

10. Of course unless you had a case of the Mondays

ColinStClaire likes this.
  11. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) New York Feb 25, 2009

Mamma that's crazy talk

12. w_klon

w_klon Aficionado (235) Oregon Aug 1, 2012

Ive tried to do this a couple times, but all these breweries and bars around me keep tapping delicious new beer! Although, I more frequently stop by somewhere and get a taster glass of a couple beers, if i just want to try something. I always enjoy it, though. Enjoying beer should never be a task.

13. I take drinking breaks every now and again.

I usually end up smoking more as a result.

Seems to work the other way also.

ESeab likes this.
  14. Me too, when I'm dead.

godlessape, SammyJaxxxx and cwreay90 like this.
  15. jb123

jb123 Advocate (510) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

i take break three days a week(working 7p-7a) before i drank craft beer id only maybe drink once a week. craft beer is >>>>>anything else.

16. rousee

rousee Advocate (520) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2004

I just took the month of January off and I'll tellya it kills your tolerance level but its good for you to do once in a while. The beers do taste especially good when you return to it too.

17. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

Moderation is the way. Taking a break means you're drinking too much. So moderate, as in have less, not none

Also, thanks for letting us know.

MEW likes this.
  18. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Well yea, but I replaced the beer with Martini's.

SammyJaxxxx and ironchefmiyagi13 like this.
  19. That was my initial thought; if you feel like you need to take an extended break, you're probably drinking too much in the first place. Not to mention, what will it solve? You take a few weeks off and then go right back to your old drinking pattern, you're not really facing/fixing any underlying issue. Just try to moderate it, like anything else in life.

OP, I'm not trying to speak for you and about your situation but it's just food for thought.

MEW and ipas-for-life like this.
  20. DmanGTR

DmanGTR Advocate (520) Florida Feb 19, 2008

I drink maybe once or twice a week and haven't really felt the need to cut back. However, a few years back I drank a beer maybe every other day and felt that was too much and cut back.

I might not have beer for a few weeks at a time and not think twice about it. Usually it's around test time or board exam time.

21. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

I gave up beer for Lent last year.
    Can't see that happening again.

I TRY not to imbibe M-Th but I'm failing miserably this week.

BlackBelt5112203 and Willbfun like this.
  22. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

kojevergas and mh007 like this.
  23. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

It doesn't sound like she's drinking too much from her post (a beer 2-4 nights out of a week is nothing from what I've seen on the "What are you drinking now/" posts.) Just that she feels the need for a break. If she's not enjoying drinking craft beers and they are starting to run together for her, a time out might help. And if she takes it now, she'll be fresh for all the spring seasons coming up soon.

24. Squidly

Squidly Savant (450) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Take a break? Impossibrew!

Douberd and Zhiguli like this.
  25. I'll do my part to pick up your slack while you guys dry out.

26. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Aficionado (210) Wyoming Jan 10, 2013

I'd say I do drink in moderation. As I said in my OP, I don't feel that I drink too much. Maybe one 12-oz during the week that's thoughtfully paired with a dinner, usually 1-3 pints with friends on the weekend very occasionally both Friday and Saturday, maybe one 4 to 6-oz pour of a new beer on Sunday. I typically only drink to the point of even being buzzed maybe once a week. Even after my hiatus, I doubt I'll drink less than I do now, and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

I guess I'm just the kind of person that gets really excessively into one hobby at a time. And I have lots of expensive, time-consuming hobbies. Right now, I'm into the craft beer thing. But, I have a motorcycle that I need to put back together after winter maintenance, I have a horse that needs training, I want to get my garden figured out before Spring hits, and I just have other things I want to focus on for awhile. I'm certainly not "quitting" drinking or anything else. I'm just shaking myself out of the craft beer obsession for a little bit.

It's not like I'm going to AA meetings for two weeks (nor do I feel the need to, lol) and then going back to drinking normally. I just want to refocus my hobby interests on other things for a few weeks, then come back to craft beer with a refreshed palate and more chilled out attitude towards the whole deal.

Which, I suppose is a fairly foreign concept on here, haha. Understandably :)

afrothunder, mecummins and mwar like this.
  27. I'm limiting myself to 10 beers a week. I am also boycotting BMC from here after. I support free market beer.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  28. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

I took a 7 year hiatus from beer. I really missed it alot and hit it hard when I came back, trying to check out all the new stuff that I had missed. Now I drink maybe three beers a week tops. I find that when I reset I want to step back in with both fists, which really just negates the idea of "resetting" for me.

29. Only for scotch and bourbons... which might come first anyways :/

godlessape, FanofHefe and nc41 like this.
  30. Yes, when I get sick.

31. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Nothing like a nice Islay whiskey on a cold night, or a dram or two of Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

fx20736 likes this.
  32. racephan

racephan Zealot (80) North Carolina Dec 23, 2008

Doing it right now actually. Wife and I are going 1 month, 4 weeks without alcohol and without meat (vegetarian only). Neither of us is overweight, I run 20-30 miles a week but I also drink craft beer and/or liquor every day. We know drinking multiple drinks every day is not good for anyone but we are doing this to challenge ourselves. The same way I challenge myself in running and other activities. I'm really interested in the results (weight loss, sleep activity, blood pressure and cholesterol). So far so good for both of us. I say go for it but don't expect much support from your craft beer drinking friends :)

33. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Savant (270) California Jul 12, 2012

Good luck Mamma! You can't unhobby this hobby! If I may suggest, maybe slowly shift to thinking about beer and wine as they do in most of Europe. It's just food. I know I need to do this myself and end this pattern of making EVENTS out of opening a freakin bottle.

34. Is this true confessions or something?

35. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

abstaining from beer is a great idea, in moderation of course. just don't go thinking you must quit for a few months or something.

life is for living. enjoy life and enjoy beer. every time i kick beer for a while i find that i really like to enjoy life after all. beer has been so damn good to me. i'm blessed.

36. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

I am not sure on this site if that is even considered drinking.

fox227, SammyJaxxxx, AmitC and 5 others like this.
  37. grandmeaulnes

grandmeaulnes Savant (275) Ohio Oct 18, 2010

I take off weeks here and there through the year, particularly after big bottle shares. It's never a bad thing.

38. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (400) Virginia Feb 28, 2012

I wish you and a lot of other people would take a break. Maybe then I could enjoy beers like cherry rye and bb bigfoot.

Seriously though take a break if you think you need it. Just don't drag your boyfriend down with you:)

Goldfishman likes this.
  39. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

New Years resolution was to stop drinking until I got to my desired weight, been going good so far. It's tougher when you work at a beer bar, tastes are tempting

40. Pando

Pando Savant (415) Connecticut Dec 5, 2011

I generally only drink on the weekends and once or twice a year I'll do a body cleanse which stops me from drinking for 3 weeks. According to my friends, I'm easily agitated during this time......I don't see it ;). But, if your friends are like mine, they will bust your balls any chance they can and will throw it in your face. So my advice to you is try and stay away from the people drinking around you.....for everyone's sake!

luwak likes this.