1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Taking a break from beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MammaGoose, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Douberd

Douberd Savant (320) Netherlands Jan 27, 2012

I quit all alcohol for a whole summer and I was working in a bar, so it's not that difficult. I also quit again for 15 days last year, twice, once because I was taking some pills and the second because I just felt like I was having too much.
    But that was when I was drinking mass produced, super market beer, now that I have a whole cellar with different brews and I know what wealth of a beer just sits at my local beer shop, waiting for me to grab it.. Nah, that would be a nightmare.
  2. I've thought about it, but honestly I just enjoy the feeling of having a beer or two after a long day too much. Besides, I'm a college kid, that's what I'm supposed to do, right? ;)
  3. alucard6679

alucard6679 Savant (260) Arizona Jul 29, 2012

I drink on a fairly regular basis, most nights out of the week. But at the same time its purely for enjoyment, and I honestly can't remember the last time I got drunk. I don't really like the feeling of being drunk nearly as much as I used to. Thank god lol. I've also read several articles discussing the various health benefits of drinking quality beer in moderation. Not that I'm looking for justifications for my alcohol consumption, but it was interesting. That being said, its probably a good idea to take a break occasionally. Best of luck : )
  4. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

I've been thinking the same thing lately. I used to have a pretty solid routine of drinking one sixer or 4-pack and one bomber a week, and go out "drinking" (getting drunk) Friday or Saturday (once in a while both), but lately I have been drinking a beer pretty much every night, and while I haven't drank more than 24 ounces in a night, it's not good from a health standpoint since I'm trying to stay in shape. Going to the gym 3 times a week kind of becomes a moot point when you're drinking a couple stouts every night. And I also feel like alcohol has been a little "too present" in my life as well. I don't want to get into the habit of drinking every day or even close to that, so after this weekend I'm also taking a 5 day hiatus until next weekend, then I'll start my old routine again, which worked well as far as my fitness regiment is concerned. Honestly sometimes I'm flabbergasted at some of the posts in the "what are you drinking now" threads when I see someone putting back a Hopslam, a FBS, some other 12oz bottle AND a bomber. My Saturdays look like more than a few BA's weekdays!
    MammaGoose likes this.
  5. agreed, also i hardly ever drink when im not "working". i only buy like one 12oz a week some times ill do a six pack but thats generally for a tasting with a group of people. ive maybe had more than two beers in a sitting twice in the last 2 months.
    that being said i do have a lot of 2oz taste from the taps at work(when i throw a new keg on) or when i run a tasting in the store
  6. LMT

LMT Savant (305) Virginia Oct 15, 2009

It's tough for me to go very long without a brew. I usually have one beer per day during the week, but 2-3 on Saturdays.

Every time I think to myself "you could stand to lose about 15 lbs." or "some extra cash would come in handy"...no less than a few minutes later I think screw it...you only live once.

I did give up drinking (for the most part) both times my wife was pregnant. She loves wine almost as much as I love beer. It just didn't feel right for me to be enjoying a beer while she was without wine & growing more uncomfortable by the day.
  7. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (935) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I had a break from craft beer... I forgot to pick some up on the way home from work on a Friday night. That was a long 12 hours...
  8. Actually ive only thought about doing this ..and then i woke up
  9. BILF

BILF Advocate (575) Israel Jan 9, 2010

"Sunday is homebrewing day."

This is an awesome modus operandi.
  10. Highbrow

Highbrow Savant (475) California Jan 7, 2011

best of luck to OP. contrary to what some might imply, beer (to me) is about enjoyment. when one treats it as more than that i believe that's what some call "a problem". sounds like you're exploring a much cheaper form of "enjoyment". more power to you.
  11. Has anyone ever done this?[/quote]

Yeah. It was the worst 10 days of my life.
  12. seakayak

seakayak Savant (355) Massachusetts May 20, 2007

I usually take a break after the Superbowl to ween myself off the holiday and winter excesses. For those who observe Lent it seems like a divinely inspired time to get back to normal. Although with the nor'easter hitting New England, I think I'll give myself another week of excess.
    Willbfun likes this.
  13. BILF

BILF Advocate (575) Israel Jan 9, 2010

I went five months without a beer once and returned with avengance.
  14. Willbfun

Willbfun Aficionado (150) New York Sep 28, 2012

I'll be giving up drinking for lent next wednesday. Its not a religious thing for me so much its just a good time of year to cut out carbs n get slimmed down for spring n summer. I didn't drink for a few years, back then it was all bud n busch till I'd puke often enough. The past year I started drinking craft beer from Heights Beer & Wine Emporium in jersey its right behind the gym I was going to. The place has an amazing inventory plus they have in store taste testings. so in the past years I've put on 15lbs as opposed 5 to 10 I put on in the winter months otherwise. All protein n produce. gotta get to the gym in a few n burn some calories
    seakayak likes this.
  15. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I told myself just last Sunday I was going to take a two-week break from beer. Yesterday there was a pretty high-profile tap release and I cracked :(

Oh well. Brewery tour this Saturday it is.
  16. My last day of drinking is the back nine on Sunday at The Masters. My sobriety starts the next day. I've been doing a Spring Cleaning for the last 5 years from then until Memorial Day weekend. Usually about 7 weeks of no drinking, no evil weed. Just some good clean living so I can get right with Lord.

I've never been one to just drink on the weekends(Moderation is for suckers, is what I always say) and the winters in Maine just kill me. I find it a great way to kick start the summer.

But there's always something that comes up during the hiatus that makes it really hard. Last year was the party for a Maine Beer Co, Allagash, & Rising Tide collaboration release at a bar about 2 blocks from my house!
    seakayak likes this.
  17. Im sick, so thats a nice break.
  18. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

I do it two months a year. Usually Aug, Sept or Oct and then usually Feb march or April. And honestly i drink much much less in the summer though it isn't planned. this year it is looking like it will be April
    It is a very good idea to go at least ten days. It good to set micro goals too and try to achieve them
    The first beer after a month of no drinking tastes way better.
  19. Taking the week off from beer and enjoying some white Russians and Jameson this week. I am also trying to avoid the liquor store for the.month of Feb to avoid the monthly domestic disturbance every time the credit card bill comes. I even stopped the tick with 4 to tick in the fridge.
  20. My breaks are dependent on my activity. I was planning on taking a break this week because I'll be at Russian River this weekend getting ultimately shit housed on PtY; but then yesterday a trade/shipment of HopSlam and Zombie Dust showed up at my door and I'll be damned if I am not enjoying it tonight.

Cheers!
    devlishdamsel likes this.
  21. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

Sunday through Thursday is a good enough break for me.
    bluejacket74 likes this.
  22. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) New York Jan 11, 2013

I recently began trading in some of my beer nights for bourbon/rye/cocktails, just to remind myself that I do enjoy other adult beverages.
  23. I usually only drink on weekends (I type this as I am sipping a beer right now), but every now and then I go a few weeks without drinking anything. Its not really a conscious decision but sometimes I just don't feel like it.
  24. stoney1031

stoney1031 Aficionado (215) Texas Dec 2, 2012

I usually take a week off every month. I don't really drink a lot probably 2 12oz beers or a bomber 5 times a week. I never drink to get drunk I just love the taste of good beer. Beer has been something I really enjoy from the smell to the taste. Some days I catch myself salavating at the thought of a tasty beer. A small break is always good but hey if you take care of yourself and are healthy and physically active a beer or two won't hurt anybody.
  25. "Has anyone ever done this?" .... Personally...nope.

You're still checking BA forums and you're home brewing so it's not really a "total" hiatus. A few beers in a night a few days/week as being an issue is a personal decision so if it's bothering you and that's what you want to do, no BA and no home brewing. I have my opinions but most importantly, if it's bothering you, then abstain completely for two weeks. We're all in different places so if it bothers you that much, go for the hiatus and see where you're at after the fact. OK, you drop a pound or two but it could easily come back unless you stick to your guns.
  26. BMC includes Goose Island. Support real craft beer
  27. In my opinion, you are not drinking enough. If you are not going to take this beer hobby serious...
  28. BeerMeFitz

BeerMeFitz Savant (320) Illinois Oct 24, 2011

My work schedule changes each month and this month I am working nights. This is a very good thing! I have not had a beer in a week and have lost 8 lbs already. You need this every so often to clean out your body and increase your bank account. I have become a "Craft Only Beer" drinker this year.... won't even think about a Miller Lite or Coors even at a party... I tend to bring beer with me everywhere I go, if I don't drink or share it I will give it away to people I meet who dig really good beer. Beer Karma is a Great Thing...Cheers!
  29. It almost always works when you take a hiatus from something..............................

In a couple of days
  30. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Yep. Does a palate good.
  31. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Savant (290) Virginia Sep 15, 2010

My intake limitation is self induced because weight loss is my priority right now. However, if I want a beer, I up the workout to burn those extra calories so I can enjoy a tasty brew. Right now, my intake is 1-2 per week to include the weekends.
  32. danoble1

danoble1 Aficionado (240) Indiana Apr 13, 2012

Good for you Mamma! $$$, reset the taste buds, lbs, whatever the reason may be, self discipline is a good thing. I am attempting to not purchase any beer as a New Years resolution. So far I have been able to try three new beers as people have given them to me (felt sorry for me) :) I also have plans to buy an entry to a beer fest (that there is what I call a loophole) but it has been a good test. I suggest you find yourself a nice bottle and set it aside as a treat for your success.
  33. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

I'm in the midst of a break now. One beer every 2 weeks for about 3 months.
  34. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

I came down with the flu, and I'm on day 8 with no beer. I feel much better now, but I haven't had any beer cravings, and I still have a bit of indigestion/nausea, so I am a bit afraid of wasting a good beer by feeling bad afterwards. What really sucks is that I have a planned date to go to the Stone Bistro on Monday. I guess I'm trying to say that taking a break sure wasn't my idea. It just happens that way.
  35. fox227

fox227 Advocate (555) California Nov 19, 2010

Reminds me of my girlfriend. I'll ask, "want a beer?" "No, I just had one yesterday..." haha.
  36. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

How is this thread any different than threads about losing weight while still drinking beer?
    No politics.
    No lifestyle choices threads.
  37. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Savant (260) Illinois Nov 22, 2012

I might finally be at the end stage of a two month cold. Last Saturday I drank bourbon, this weekend I might drink some cask strength Islay, maybe Bowmore. If I reach a few days of normal breathing, and sleep without Nyquil there will be catching up to do.
  38. Aguirre

Aguirre Aficionado (185) Missouri Jan 24, 2009

I took the month of January off to reset my metabolism, tolerance, and palate. Lost some weight and established some better eating and exercise habits in the process. I was averaging about 2-3 beers a night 6 nights a week before that time. Lately it's been 1-2 beers 3 nights a week, which I think I can keep up.
  39. MEW

MEW Savant (435) Colorado May 29, 2012

Did you then create the Beer Advent Calendar this past Christmastime? I think that would be the most appropriate course of action... ;-)