1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Taking a trip to Boston

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by dbfp210, Jan 26, 2013.

1. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Hey everyone,

I may be traveling to Boston with my girlfriend in March. Any recommendations on where to stay/ things to do/ where to drink? She likes craft beer too so we would maybe like to do a brewery tour or something. Probably be there from a Sunday-Tuesday or something.

2. As for bars, I would make it a point to check out both Deep Ellum (I believe technically in Allston and Lord Hobo (which is technically in Cambridge). Speaking of Cambridge, I stayed at a hotel there that was great recently. Le Meridian. It's pricey, but there's a Groupon popping around for it right now I believe (I got it through priceline for about $140). It's also right across the street from a nice breakfast place (Cafe Luna). But back to Deep Ellum and Lord Hobo. Both are phenomenal and I am sure a good debate would arise about which is better. Check them both out for yourself.

Bukowski's in Boston proper is a great place too, they also have a location in Cambridge. I haven't been there, but I heard it is also solid.

As for brewery tours, I have never done Harpoon nor Sam Adams, but both are on my list of places to hit. They should be easily accessible to you when in Boston, although I fear, especially for Harpoon, that tours may only happen on the weekends. So that Sunday you're in town may be the best to schedule brewery tour stuff.

Enjoy the city!

3. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

You should check out Harpoon. They're about to open their new beer hall. It looks amazing.

4. Providence likes this.
  5. Nice people at Harpoon.....not much of a tour......#9 is still a favorite.

6. Sam Adams tour is fun. Make sure to take the free trolley to Doyle's after your brewery tour.

7. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

I went to Harpoon and just did a tasting. It was pretty awesome for the price of $0.

8. dbfp210

Harpoon looks like a definite stop.

Any chance someone would be willing to set up an IP trade for fresh Heady?

9. Highly recommend hitting "brewery row" in Everett if you have a car. Night Shift & Idle Hands are right next to each other, will happily give you tours of their nano-scale breweries on request, are always tasting a TON of beer (you'll probably be able to easily try 12 or more beers), and are generally good people. Yes, the location is a little skeevy, but it's well worth it.

As for bars, I will second Deep Ellum & Lord Hobo. Lord Hobo is the best beer bar in the city, as far as I'm concerned.

masterob8 and lucas1801 like this.
  10. Sunday to Tuesday may be an issue for brewery tours, except for Harpoon I guess, which I like.
    Definitely check for the groupon Boston getaway coupon for the Le Meridien in Central Sq Cambridge. I think it was for $109 a night (includes breakfast for 2, not sure if it covers your nights). Walking distance to Lord Hobo, Cambridge Brewing Co, Meadhall, and Asgard. Also close to a subway stop and a main bus line into Boston.
    Brewery row in Everett will probably be an issue on the days you'll be here.
    As far as a trade for Heady Topper, check back in closer to the time you're due to be here. You never know who'll have some!

11. Yeah, I forgot Idle Hands is open fairly limited hours. Night Shift is certainly open 5-9 Monday & Tuesday though, and is well worth the trip just for them in my opinion.

masterob8 likes this.
  12. prasta

prasta Aspirant (45) Massachusetts Feb 24, 2012

He said Brewery Row, hahaha. Love it. I agree with you, Night Shift and Idle Hands rock!

masterob8 likes this.
  13. dbfp210

It's looking like the Holiday Inn Express on Boston Street is where we will be staying (free parking!). Easy to get around the city from there? How easy is the subway system to use?

A friend recommended Cambridge Brewing Co. to me. Worth a stop?

14. Absolutely! Best brew pub in Boston by far, and some of the best barrel aged beers around. You can hit up Lord Hobo, CBC, and Meadhall - all are within a short walk of each other.

15. kinopio

kinopio Savant (370) Massachusetts Apr 30, 2009

That hotel is in kind of a crappy area. Not dangerous, just kinda gross and far away from anything good. It is near a red line stop called Andrew Square so you could get on there and be at Cambridge Brewing Company easily.

16. Sam adams is ok but not great, if you can get to the tasting room and sit in the chairs directly to the left of the bar on the wall you get more samples at least.. Harpoon is a good tour and the new beer hall with their spent grain pretzels is wicked nice. I've never been to CBC but have heard really good things. Cheers!

17. This is the best answer.

Also the 2 breweries in Everett are def. worth vistiting. Additionally, the Mystic Brewery tasting room is opening Feb. 16th. It looks pretty awesome.

18. Since it sounds like you'll have a car - if you are around on Thursday-Saturday, I would highly recommend taking a trip to Framingham to visit Jack's Abby. IMO the best overall brewery in the Boston area.

19. dbfp210

Unfortunately I'll be there Sunday-Tuesday. Maybe I'll be able to take another trip up there someday and go there!

20. At least try to snag some at a local bar or store - it's great stuff!