1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Taking OG from protein and sediment-heavy wort

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by atomeyes, Dec 8, 2012.

1. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

i hate wasting good wort. so if i'm taking my gravity readings after racking my just-chilled wort from the kettle, i like to use the crap that's full of proteins and hop grit n stuff.

i assume that the fact that it isn't pure wort (i.e. the wort that's going into my carboy) will affect my OG. i assume that it will increase it by a few points due to higher density.

but...that wort is a slurry....but using the definition of density, you have mass over volume. so that gunk should affect gravity. but by how much?

i just did a belgian strong ale. target OG was 1.092. my OG was 1.100. now, that's not much of a variance, but I'm curious if the variance was due to my temperatures or water measurement, or if it was from the sludgy wort that was measured. and is my true gravity BELOW 1.02?

so many questions this weekend...
  2. DNuggs

DNuggs Member

Sludgy wort shouldn't make a difference. You're hydrometer is measuring the sugar dissolved in solution. All of the "sludge should settle to the bottom and not make a difference on your actual gravity measurement. Just make sure the bottom of the hydrometer isn't resting on the sludge.
    bgjohnston likes this.
  3. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

cool.
  4. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

I'm surprised that someone hasn't taken a reading from a refrac and verified it against a hydrometer. It has to be the same or very close.
  5. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Member

We did just that at a brew day sponsored by my local shop, and my hydrometer measured within 2 points of another guy's refractometer. And it was very sludgy wort with a lot of hop debris in my sample.
  6. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Member

Shit suspended in the wort will influence the reading but not by much. Wort/beer should be filtered if you want a truly accurate reading.
  7. inchrisin

inchrisin Member

I would take a pre-boil gravity if I DON'T FWH. I know how much I boil off in an hour and how many GU I have. I can find an OG pretty easy.

Edit: That said, I usually don't measure anything anyway. :)
  8. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

i've been leaning towards not measuring. kind of argue with myself as to why i'm measuring. except today, i'm staring at a belgian strong that's 3 days in with zero fermentation happening. so i am sure i'll be measuring something pretty soon.
  9. samtallica

samtallica Member

That's really the way to go once you learn your system. I'm not going to worry about a point or two and will never know the difference if I don't take a measurement. One less thing to fret about.