1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Tall 1/4 barrels & Kegerator

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Mkg44, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Mkg44

Mkg44 Zealot (75) Michigan Nov 22, 2010

I've been stocking my under the bar kegerator with 2-1/6 barrels for the last year or so and have been enjoying two beers on tap. I usually have something Founders on but they are getting away from 1/6 barrels and now it looks like I will only be able to get the tall 1/4 barrels. Unfortunately I can't fit a 1/6 barrel and 1/4 barrel in my kegerator at the same time. So do I need a new kegerator and if so are there any on the market that will be able to fit these specific 1/4 barrels along with another barrel. This might be a dumb question but is it possible to transfer beer from a 1/4 barrel to a 1/6 barrel(corny) with out effecting the quality of beer? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

2. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

If your current kegerator will not fit a 1/6 barrel/corny and a slim 1/4, and you want to use a 1/6 barrel/corney + a slim quarter, then yes, you will need a new kegerator unless you are skilled at altering physics in this plane of the universe.

Most kegerators on the market will fit a 1/6 barrel + a slim 1/4 barrel. I think it would be hard to buy a kegerator (aside from a mini fridge conversion on Craig's List) that doesn't.

The Google results of "transfer beer from sankey to corney" result in some information regarding transferring beer. You'll need more than 1 corney to fit the beer from a 1/4 barrel.

3. IceAce

IceAce Advocate (570) California Jan 8, 2004

The difference between a 1/4 bbl and a 1/6 bbl is 331 oz...so grab 6 friends and y'all need to drink three US pints each to dust the leftovers after the transfer.

scootermsp likes this.
  4. htomsirveaux

htomsirveaux Advocate (550) Texas Feb 8, 2002

Have you actually tried fitting a 1/6 & 1/4 at the same time? The instructions for mine say that it'll fit a 1/2, 1/4, or 2 1/6s, but by positioning them right (slightly off center from each other front to back) I can fit both a 1/6 and 1/4 at the same time.

5. cubbyswans

cubbyswans Savant (370) Missouri Jun 10, 2008

I bought the beer. Imma gonna drink it. Sounds like the OP needs to drink 18 US pints. I suggest starting this task at 9am on a non work day. Transfer the beer, then set to killing the remainder of the 1/4 barrel. Should be good to go by midnight on the same day.

6. You can transfer from one keg to the other, but it takes certain couplings/fittings, regulators, and hoses. You must transfer the beer in its pressurized environment, if it changes from a pressurized keg into the open air, it will foam. So you need to go from say a 10psi keg to a 9psi keg. If you are a homebrewer that kegs then you might have most of this stuff already. You will need to either fill a couple growlers or have 6 friends over as well. I fill growlers right out of the tap all the time. If you growler is super cold and you cut the pressure down as low as possible (it will take forever to fill), you can get a near zero foam fill on a growler without any special equipment.

7. I'm upset that Founders changed to the tall quarters too. I have a converted mini fridge and it fits 2 1/6 barrels perfectly, but the tall quarters wont fit in width wise. I loved getting an FBS keg each year, but now I'm SOL and it pisses me off.

8. Quite late to this thread but my Google searches have been unproductive. So am I to ascertain that I should be able to fit a 1/6bl, a tall 1/4 (same height as the 1/6 but a bit wider) and the co2 tank in at the same time? Because that would be super great.

9. Good time to bite the bullet and convert a chest freezer to a kegerator. BOOM! No more practical limits on the size or number of kegs!:D If you're lucky (and crafty), you can replicate your existing 2 tap setup for as little as $100 on Craigslist, using your existing hardware. Add more as your motivation and budget dictate.

10. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

I guess it depends on the model -what is it?

11. Mkg44

Mkg44 Zealot (75) Michigan Nov 22, 2010

Ended up purchasing a dual keg kegerator. You have to be careful when purchasing, some will fit 2 slim 1/4 barrels, some won't. Beveragefactory.com does a pretty good job in the product description letting you know what will fit.

12. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (320) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

They do an excellent job of telling you what will fit. I can do two slim quarters or three sixths in my Haier that came from Bev Factory.