1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tall Tails Brewery in Parsonburg Maryland = can only serve 6oz glasses?

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by glmccready, Jan 29, 2013.

1. A new brewery opened recently near Salisbury and Ocean City, Maryland. Apparently because of Maryland law they can only serve beer in 6oz glasses, except 4 days a month they can serve Pints.
    The really strange thing is Burley Oak Brewery, down the road (next County over, in Berlin, MD) serves Pints. I was just told by a County Counsel member that this 6oz thing is a state law, but then how can Burley Oak do it?
    Is this weird? County law or State law? (I was born and raised here) We are also just a stones throw from DFH but that is in Delaware.

2. I should add that they can only fill Tall Tales growlers at Tall Tale, apparently another stupid backward Maryland law.

3. Edwin

Edwin Savant (420) Pennsylvania May 8, 2003

Aren't MD liquor laws different from county to county?

4. I wrote to a County Counsel member and he sent back a response saying it was State license and controlled by the State, but it could have been just BS.

5. I was told it is a county law. I assume since Evolution is in the city this does not apply, or perhaps they have a different license with the restaurant and tasting room. It is my understanding they can do pints 4 times a YEAR not month. As far as the growler thing that seems like a load of BS to me as Evo and Burley Oak will fill anyone's growlers but again 1 is in the city and 1 in another county. Brewery should be selling beer, not glass containers. I have also been told 2 different things at iron Hill in Wilmington-that it is a state law. When I told them about Evo/3rd Wave in Delmar and DFH they acted like those places were wrong and they were right.

6. I guess I'll let them figure it out and then raise hell! lol The good news is the beer, esp the Redheaded Stepchild is pretty darn good!

7. I just heard last night that Tall Tales can serve pints starting in July. No, clue why Burley Oaks already can?

8. 2 different counties, plus Berlin is a tad more business friendly in the long run I bet!