1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tap Handles

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Roger85, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

So I've decided that I want to start collecting tap handles. I would like to display them on the wall of my basement. Has anyone else found a cool way to display them like this?
    FUNKPhD and jgluck like this.
  2. You buy standard shelving and allthread , Just drill holes to countersink the all thread cut at lengths to screw the taps onto them . A drop of glue in the bottom of the hole secures the thread to the shelf . Got to be careful cutting so you dont booger up the thread pitch otherwise pretty simple and cost effective.
    FUNKPhD, jgluck and ant880 like this.
  3. jgluck

jgluck Aficionado (210) California Apr 19, 2012

A year or two ago, I started by buying a couple of these from display shack, and I've since ordered more and more. Recently I decided to raise them (like stadium seating) and I did that myself with some wood and stain from a hardware store. If I could do it over again, I would have probably created something similar to my current setup myself, rather that go through display shack, but it's hard to anticipate how a collection grows over time.

Even this picture is out of date now

[​IMG]

So basically I recommend Display Shack, and I also recommend doing it yourself.

I've also heard of people using wood hand-railing to mount taps directly onto a wall. Or using angled, metal brackets, and not using any wood at all. Lots of options
  4. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (235) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

I want a dark horse tap handle! ISO!
  5. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Call them, they sell them, I think they are $50.
    ChugLife likes this.
  6. ChugLife

ChugLife Aficionado (235) Colorado Aug 13, 2012

Do they ship?
  7. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (610) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

They used to have an online store, but it isnt on the site anymore. Best bet is to call them.
  8. joeebbs

joeebbs Savant (360) Pennsylvania Apr 29, 2009

I bought some shelving from IKEA and some 3/8 hanger bolts and drilled them into the board. Put a little gorilla glue in there to keep them stable. Tap handles are probably my favorite form of breweriana.

I would personally DIY your display as you can make it however you want instead of buying an expensive set-up that you have to make fit.
  9. Roger85

Roger85 Savant (490) Illinois Aug 24, 2012

Awesome- thanks for all the ideas! Now i just have to pick one.....
  10. Damn, that's a lot of cutting of threaded rod (depending, I suppose, on the number of tap handles one has;) ).
    Why not just buy a box of 3/8" X 16 flathead bolts (length determined by shelf thickness), and countersink the bottom of the shelf?
    [​IMG]
    Or, if you still want the blind hole method, 3/8" X 16 set screws, and drill and tap the shelving.

[​IMG]

:eek: Needless to say, illustrations not to same scale.​