1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Taphouse 100 bribery

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by gulden, Jan 11, 2013.

1. gulden

gulden Aficionado (180) Australia Mar 20, 2011

Anyone heard of breweries that are doing it again this year?

Got the 4 Pines one today. Must vote for their beers and show the confirmation to them to win your weight in beer - but it's not an inducement or promise of course!

Shame that once again it comes down to this. Not expecting my favourite beers to top the list (Pepperberry IPA and Bloody Oak etc) but it would be better just to be a weight of numbers without inducements from breweries to buy your vote. Let the beers speak for themselves!
  2. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Advocate (575) Australia Dec 29, 2006

You must've interpreted the following email different to me:

WIN YOUR WEIGHT IN BEER IS BACK!

To Enter

Simply respond to this email "I want to Win"

And if you want to show some 4 Pines love - while you are at it...

We would like to let you know about The Local Taphouse's
    "Top 100 Aussie Craft Beers 2012 Poll"

We would LOVE for you to vote for us!!
    (Should only take about about a minute- literally)

Follow the link below & vote for your favourite 4 Pines beers.

To enter simply;

1. Click on the link
    http://thelocaltaphouse.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/the-hottest-100-aussie-craft-beers-of.html
    2. Select your favourite 4 Pines beers
    3. Reply to this email with a screenshot of your entry (Easy as: just hold "fn" & "prt sc" together and paste on your email).
    4. And remember to validate your vote when it hits your email or junk box- this takes no longer then 2 seconds!

To be in the draw you must enter by 11:30pm January the 15th.

Good luck!

Cheers, Sarah.

Please note:

We only want you to do this if you genuinely think we are worthy.
    This is not an offer of a prize, incentive or inducement of any value in exchange for voting.
    We will be announcing the winner via email on February the 1st.

N.B. You must already be a 4 Pines Beer Club Member and over 18 years old to be eligible to win.
  3. spicelab

spicelab Savant (425) Australia Nov 6, 2009

Oh come on guys! Didn't you see their Clayton's disclaimer at the end?
    MrKennedy likes this.
  4. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

Yeah, yeah. It would all be fine if they had in tiny little print an alternative way of entering.
  5. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

According to that email to enter you just need to reply with "I want to Win". But it's easy to gloss over that with the font size. In which case I'm guessing a lot of people are going to vote in the poll thinking they've entered the competition, whereas in fact they haven't at all.
  6. danieelol

danieelol Advocate (510) Australia Jun 15, 2010

^ Oh looks like I got it slightly wrong. The email actually contradicts itself. So it's not really clear whether or not you do need to vote for them in the poll to enter the competition.

I like how they say: "This is not an offer of a prize, incentive or inducement of any value in exchange for voting."

Well, actually, it is, and just by claiming that it isn't doesn't mean it isn't one.
  7. MrKennedy

Can't seem to vote for 4 Pines anymore...
  8. That was decisive.
  9. spicelab

10. gulden

certainly wasn't my intention. but definitely a fair outcome considering they kept their previous votes
  11. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

I feel like a "this is why we can't have anything nice" is warranted.

Anyway, this is all getting a bit out of hand isn't it? Is there money involved? Does the loser get banished? Is it such a bad thing that this ends up being a popularity contest?

I'll have to leave you with those questions cause none of my answers here are making any sense.
  12. Can someone do a mail out like this on my behalf?
  13. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Taphouse has had a massive hand in this. Do not give those POS a freebie in this.
    4 pines has done this before and so has Vale brewing. It is a joke list every year. Might as well get Mariah Carey to announce the winners.

The shame of it all is the brewers like Nail, riverside, lobethal, brewboys, and harts, and others get fucked due to the taphouse and their love of what is hip and trendy here in Australia.
    Have lost all credibility for 4 pines and their begging for votes.
  14. Kirko

Kirko Aficionado (115) Australia Sep 10, 2005

Mulder1010 -

That's a little harsh towards the Taphouse. The Taphouse has very little control over who votes for what. They have set up the annual poll, which is obviously good promotion for them, but the order that the beers come in doesn't really benefit them. There is a genuine attempt on their part to make it as meaningful a poll as it can be.

All polls are flawed in some way or other, but those involved in having input into the running of this poll want to bring as much integrity as possible within the obvious limits of any popularity poll

The most obvious 'flaw' in this sort of poll is that it is a national poll open to anyone who drinks beer. Naturally it is going to be skewed towards larger craft brewers who have a national reach. Almost by definition, the more people a beer can reach gives a brewer an advantage because more people will have tried it who are potential voters. That's not bias, that's just an unavoidable fact.

You have mentioned some excellent breweries in your post, but they are almost all breweries with limited regional distribution. They are never going to rank as highly on a poll such as this as their quality may suggest because fewer people will have tried them as have tried a beer such as Fat Yak. (incidentally, Nail Clout Stout and BrewBoys Seeing Double were both in my 5 votes last year).

The best analogy I can come up with is the Sydney to Hobart, where the bigger ships win line honours by nature of their bigger size, greater sail area and faster boat speed. The problem with beer is it is all-nigh-impossible to do what the race does and also have a system for 'handicap' honours. That's something that beer drinkers have to do for themselves - look at the list and if a beer from a 600 litre brewery only available in a handful of locations is at position 48, that is a monumental achievement to be even in the same company as a beer from a 4500 litre (or bigger) brewery available on tap and in big bottleshops nationally.

You have to remember that all voting systems and polls are flawed in someway. That is why we regularly compare the results of a popular polls such as this, with the 'experts' poll conducted by the Critics' Choice book and the Ratebeer and BeerAdvocate lists to look at how they correspond and to try to even out the problems inherent in each system. A popular vote like this is skewed towards size, but then again, a BeerAdvocate poll is going to be skewed towards beer geeks rate highly and not necessarily the ones with the highest commercial appeal or to those with a casual interest in beer and so on. Even so, when you look across all of the various polls, there is a striking degree of similarity at the top of the polls.

Ultimately, there is no such thing as a 'best' beer and polls like this should always be viewed as a bit of fun and information...even as we take beer and voting very seriously.

Anyway, more than anything it is the interest of the guys like you all who constantly discuss these topics on forums like this that raise and highlight issues so that we can improve it, so thanks for that...

Matt K

PS. Brews News is helping to promote the poll, but have no commercial interest in the annual vote, other than it does get our name out as well. In being involved, we have worked with the Taphouse to take on board feedback from voters and the industry each year and to try and fix some of the voting problems that have cropped up. You also have to remember that all involved in this are doing it for the love of it with the only real benefit being a promotional one. As much as I think the voting system is getting better and fairer each year, I am sure a better system could still be devised if there was enough money thrown at it and people working on it. Just remember that no money is being thrown at it - there isn't any - just a handful of people, some beer love and our time!
    hawthorne00 likes this.
  15. gulden

And to avoid any Internet speculation it wasn't me who emailed in.
  16. joecast

joecast Advocate (570) Australia Jun 30, 2003

Well, its only taken 7+ years to finally get a post out of you Matt!! Well done buddy ;)
  17. Kirko

Kirko Aficionado (115) Australia Sep 10, 2005

Long time listener, first time caller!
  18. spicelab

MrKennedy likes this.
  19. dgilks

dgilks Advocate (665) Australia Jul 14, 2008

I'm not really concerned about those that made into 70th, 80th, 90th type places as there is so little in it at that point. Always concerning that the Wig & Pen doesn't get more love but it makes sense given the size and lack of publicity.

I'm certainly interested in the Birbecks and the 4 Hearts getting up there. Thirsty Crow at 8 was an oddball too. King Valley is another I've not heard of. Surprised that Young Henry's made it so far up given the (lack of) quality. Bacchus and Wayward are also surprises.

On a positive note, it's nice to see La Sirene up in the 20s along with Riverside. Also good to see that it was the Vale IPA and not the Ale that made the top 5.
  20. mulder1010

mulder1010 Initiate (0) Australia Aug 29, 2008

Hype and hype. Silly list that crafty and brews news should avoid
    danieelol likes this.
  21. MrKennedy

Done

[​IMG]
    mulder1010 and joecast like this.
  22. My bribery not appear in the list worked ... :rolleyes:
  23. The hottest 100 is a popular vote. It's not a poll to find the best beer.

Consequently you have a balance of what I consider to be three factors:

#1 Distribution. Market penetration, brand awareness, all that crap.
    #2 Brand loyalty. The personal motivation to vote for a brewery, or a beer.
    #3 Beer quality. Tastes good?

Of course there's going to be a little bit of exploitation and #2 is where it hits. That's always gonna happen when you let the people have a say.

Overall though I think it's a competition that people shouldn't take too seriously. It's a good bit of fun.