1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tapped my first keg... and there is a little leaking.

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by Geno78, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Geno78

Geno78 Aficionado (215) Ohio Apr 1, 2010

There's a little beer coming out of the top of the keg, and a bit of foaming from the top of the coupler.

Is this normal?

2. Id say no, Id check all the connections on your sanke, make sure they are tight. Also if there is beer coming out of your keg you may need to disconnect and check the rubber gasket for any cracks or anything that looks out of the norm. Right now it just sounds like your loosing co2 and some beer

3. What else is there? :)

billandsuz likes this.
  4. billandsuz

billandsuz Savant (415) New York Sep 1, 2004

are you tapping a commercial keg or homebrew? is this a constant leak, or just a bit when coupled?

5. Untap and retap.

Like previuos poster stated, probably the washer

I had a similar problem last year.
    Definitely frustrating.

6. Foaming at the top of the coupler could mean the line going from the coupler is not tight...they typically say to hand tighten those but a half turn with the faucet wrench is a good idea. As an aside, there should be a rubber washer in there to assure a tight fit..

7. Geno78

It's a commercial keg. I'll try untapping and checking the connections. It is a slow, constant leak. I don't see an increase in the leaking with use.

8. There should be no leaking at all, so get those connections right and hopefully you will be all set.

9. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (315) Connecticut Aug 21, 2012

As mentioned, make sure the washer is in between the wing nut and the top of the coupler. Make sure you rotate the sanke as far as it will go without forcing. Also make sure your sanke is the right one for the keg you are tapping. Domestics are D couplers.

10. Geno78

I've untapped, and retapped. Went through a tank of co2, and when it was empty, the leaking had stopped. After a re-fill, adding a few washers, tightening everything, the leaking is still there. Can you be more specific to which washer was giving you trouble?

11. DougC123

If beer is leaking, the washer to look at is on the top of the coupler where the beer line comes out of it. I assume you have the beer line coming out of the top and the CO 2 going in through the side? You also need to have the clear duckbill washer on the CO2 line where it goes into the coupler. The coupler itself should have two washers built into the bottom of it where it screws to the keg - one on the body of the coupler, and one on the probe.

12. Geno78

I have the washer on the top of the coupler, there used to be foaming from there, but not anymore. I have the two washers on the bottom of the coupler. It's a brand new coupler, and I don't see any damage on them.

The beer is either coming right out of the keg, or it's coming out of the pressure release and just pooling under the coupler.

13. DougC123

Have you tried spraying soapy water and seeing if you get bubbles on any of the connections? When you say there used to be foaming on top - did you do something or did it just stop?

14. Geno78

I put a rubber washer under the wingnut and that fixed that.

Using the high tech method of balled up paper towels, I'm almost positive the leak is coming from the pressure release valve.

Do I have a bad coupler?

15. DougC123

Could be. Have you tried exercising the relief a little to see if it will seat properly? If it is possible to take it apart you could try to see if there are any obvious issues internally. Sometimes just taking something apart and reassembling can correct minor issues.