Tart Side of the Moon by Vivant

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by GR_Beer_Nut, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (365) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Just saw cans of tart side of the moon hit Grand Rapids yesterday. Not sure how far distribution will go on this one. If you can find it, try it!

2. It's not even on here yet.

3. Onizilla

Onizilla Aficionado (230) New York Apr 25, 2009

As a huge 'Floyd fan, I am in desperate ISO of this.

SenorHops and creepinjeeper like this.
  4. jmunsters

jmunsters Aficionado (130) Michigan Jul 12, 2011

I have three canned pints left here available for a swap if it is a must for anyone. If you're seriously interested, get a hold of me.

KevSal likes this.
  5. GRFounder

GRFounder Savant (350) Michigan Jan 25, 2013

I agree.....im hoping word gets out so the trade value increases, because it really is an amazing sour. Also in stores is their Quad, Hubris. This one is a must try as well!!

ROBSTARR likes this.
  6. Definitely want to give this guy a try. ISO.

7. Pay it forward then. Trade it $4$ to get the word out to people outside the geographic region (homers) and then reap the profits (trade value increase) next time around if it is truly amazing.

8. meanmutt

meanmutt Champion (765) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

My wife and I were at Vivant last week as one of the stops on our beercation. I tried the Tart side of the moon and loved it. This weekend I'm planning on cracking open one of the cans I brought home and doing my first beer review. I'm hoping it tastes just as great out of a can as it did on tap.

Bitter_Echo likes this.
  9. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

As the trade value increases so does the number of people who pick up multiple cans/cases for the sole purpose of trading/profiting. The more of these people we have the harder it is to find the beer.

I hope Vivant becomes more desirable because they are an awesome brewery and deserves the attention. I don't give a damn about trade value, if you're worrying about your beer increasing in trade value you're doing it wrong IMO.

10. Etan

Etan Champion (755) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Escoffier was pretty good. I'm looking forward to trying this when it hits Chicago.

Does anybody know of any other brewery that cans American wild ales?

11. GRFounder

I l
    I think most people would agree that one would likely follow the other. I.E. the better the beer the more sought after it would be. IMO

MichiBrew likes this.
  12. kzoobrew

My point was that framing the conversation in the context that you want trade value to increase, ie you want people to give you more than you paid, is bad form. It is a selfish way to support a brewery.

arniepnminne and JohnB87 like this.
  13. Xtent

Xtent Savant (270) California Jan 16, 2013

A canned sour?
    Hmmmm I want multiple, anyone care for some westcoast offerings?

14. GRFounder

Ok, trade interest was maybe a better term than value. I have no interest in ripping anybody off. But i would like to have something to offer in return for something i dont have access to.

founder26 likes this.
  15. kzoobrew

And there is not a thing wrong with that. With the comment directly above yours I do not think that will be an issue.

16. You live in Michigan...

MacJenkins and AnotherImperial like this.
  17. founder26

founder26 Savant (460) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Bingo

YogiBeer and GRFounder like this.
  18. founder26

Anybody that wants to trade for this hit me up

19. weatherdog

weatherdog Savant (470) Illinois Nov 7, 2007

It's here now. My store got a case yesterday. I will also be in draft around town. Cracked open a can last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Good sour level with a lot more coffee roastiness than I was expecting.

Etan likes this.
  20. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (445) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

It's a fantastic beer. I love what they are doing there. Easily becoming one of my fav breweries. Bonus is I live down the street from them.

GR_Beer_Nut likes this.
  21. Hope we see some of this down in Kzoo, it sounds fantastic!

22. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (445) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Anyone looking for this BM me and we will work something out $4$.

23. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (555) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Seems to be available in the Chicago Burbs, grabbing some today!!!

24. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Savant (345) Michigan Sep 6, 2012

Had one last night, was a little disappointed to be honest, but then again I have had amazing things at the taproom. Also, even though I shouldn't have been, I was comparing it to the quad I had the night before and would much rather pay 5 for that then 4 for tart side.

25. Saisonist

Saisonist Aspirant (40) Michigan Mar 16, 2011

I think it bears mentioning that this beer is an infected batch of their Plow Horse Imperial Stout that they rebranded 'Tart Side of the Moon'. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

26. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Wheres about?

27. Heaven forbid you trade it for its ACTUAL value...

arniepnminne and claspada like this.
  28. Bay01

Bay01 Savant (445) Illinois Nov 19, 2008

It's a beer different than what was originally intended but it turned out good. I like to drink beer that tastes good, so I'll buy it.

29. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I think the beer that came out of the tap into my mouth was delicious. I'm not going to think anymore about it. However, Plow Horse, when it does come out, is worth seeking as well.

MSEGUIN likes this.
  30. founder26

got any proof? even if it is, who cares! how do you think sours are made?

31. founder26

32. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (335) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

ISO...

brother_kenneth likes this.
  33. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Advocate (540) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

They actually admitted this themselves a while back. I don't think it was "infected" per se, rather the yeast did something different than expected, so they rebranded it.

I snagged a 4 pack of this already, haven't tried it out yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

34. founder26

fair enough, thanks for clearing it up, but it still shouldn't sway anybody from trying it thats for sure, lmk what you think of it when you try it!

35. MarcatGSB

Brewery Vivant said:
    Bad news: "Plow Horse" beer release pushed to November. Good news: "Tart Side of the Moon" being launched today instead. Long story short, our farmhouse yeast took the beer in a new direction who are we get in its way? After tasting it, we choose a new name to better fit its personality. Big, dark, roasty with hints of farmhouse tartness from the yeast. Tapping at 3:00 today. Listen to the lunatic in your head and come try some. Draft and growlers ready, 16 oz cans available in a couple weeks. Label is going to be epic.

[​IMG]
    Still sounds pretty good to me.

founder26 likes this.
  36. founder26

I have only had the huboris so far and thought it was pretty good, a bit sour for a quad though.

37. MarcatGSB

The above quote was actually stolen from your post in the Plow Horse thread...Credit served where credit due.
    Edit addition: When I tasted Hubris at the brewery I got some hints of Brett tartness, and was a bit confused.

38. mjshearer1

Appreciate it, kind sir.

I've got some Hubris in cans and I didn't pick up any tartness. I'll have to drink it again to be sure, but it could be just differences in it being on tap vs. in cans?

39. mjshearer1

Seconded. Anyone who had their barrel aged Angelina at the MI Winter Beer Fest know what these guys can throw down. It's why I signed up for their Monk (Mug) Club this year.

MarcatGSB likes this.
  40. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (555) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

Lombard