1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tart Side of the Moon by Vivant

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by GR_Beer_Nut, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Rainblows

Rainblows Savant (290) Illinois Feb 27, 2013

I grabbed this up at Binny's today, the four pack runs around $17 so it's not cheap. They're hiding it in the back so it's being considered a special release/might sell out. I had to ask for it. Have yet to open one but I'll definitely be letting one or two age. If I can get another four pack I would definitely be willing to trade some out, feel free to message me :)
  2. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (660) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Cool thanks!
    Nachos4two likes this.
  3. Saisonist

Saisonist Aspirant (40) Michigan Mar 16, 2011

To me, that speaks of infection due to poor sanitation, because I got the same thing when I tried Hubris. Also got noticeable acetaldehyde on that one. I know there are all sorts of 'happy accidents' out there when it comes to sours. Tart Side is not one for me. Just curious how people interpret it when a brewery puts out infected beers.
  4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (830) Michigan May 8, 2006

I am not sure I would immediately jump on the "poor sanitation" train of thought. There are a number of BV beers that lean towards the tart side by design or as a result of the yeast moving that way naturally.

I have not had Hubris but I have had BA Hubris. There was a definite underlying tart flavor, tasted similar to unripened plumbs, which worked very well with a quad. I would like to hear more from the brewery before we assume they are slacking on the sanitation.
  5. sukwonee

sukwonee Advocate (535) Washington Dec 13, 2011

I had one of their saison with brett in it (Escoffer? or something like that). It was pretty good. Purple can.
  6. The best things in life were accidents anyhow. Beer itself was probably an accident in creation.
    jgluck and creepinjeeper like this.

7. Thank you Captain Obvious.
    DanH83 likes this.
  8. Escoffier Bretta Ale, It was their version of the collab they did with New Belgium. It's actually listed as an American Wild Ale but I thought it was more lik a Biere De Garde. I enjoyed it as well and it's developing a nice tartness.
    steebo777 likes this.
  9. egrace84

egrace84 Advocate (725) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

Ouch bro.
  10. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

Just so you know, the plow horse did not go to waste. They dropped of cans of this to brewers around the area. A buddy of mine was lucky enough to get one... He said that it tasted great, just wasn't what they wanted.
  11. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

The way I took the post from BV was that their yeast took Plow Horse in a direction they didn't expect...So, it did not go to waste, it was sold as Tart Side of the Moon. Maybe I am incorrect, but it just seems odd that a sour stout replaced a Belgian Style stout at release day, and not have them be the same beer.
  12. grr32

grr32 Zealot (95) Michigan Nov 7, 2012

When they were brewing Plow Horse the yeast on the pitch came up short so they pitched a second yeast which took it in a new direction. As such it wasn't an infection at all, just a different outcome. A delicous different outcome.
  13. GR_Beer_Nut

They had already canned the "infected " plow horse, but decided not to release it. Tart side of the moon is a different beer all together, just similar in style. Tart side of the moon isn't labeled as a stout on the can, it's labeled as a dark ale. IMO they should have labeled it a stout.
  14. Saisonist

Saisonist Aspirant (40) Michigan Mar 16, 2011

Good to know. Lesson learned: don't jump to conclusions i.e. poor sanitation as the cause. I'm just a little worried that their latest 2 specialties have gone sour. I love sours - but drier, lower gravity ones - which they've put out some good quality in the past. Would love to have a nice, dependable Imperial from them. Even more a good, clean, rich Quad. Haven't tried the triple yet...
  15. mjshearer1

mjshearer1 Savant (445) Michigan Dec 16, 2011

That's not what I understood. From Vivant's own Facebook page, they said the yeast took Plowhorse in a different direction, so they released the end product as Tart Side of the Moon instead.
  16. GR_Beer_Nut

Interesting.. I just saw the can of plow house that was bottled a little over a month ago tonight. Maybe they had multiple infections
  17. mjshearer1

Well, again, I don't think "infection" is an appropriate term. I'd say "unruly yeast" would be more accurate. And is it possible they canned some of it as Plowhorse to test in certain markets? I'm not sure how all the behind the scenes stuff works.
  18. Great name; the band is just fantastic that is really what i think oh by the way which one's pink.

AnotherImperial likes this.
  19. GR_Beer_Nut

Good point, infected is a strong word to use. I'm never going to pass up a canned Vivant beer...as no one should!
    bunique686 likes this.
  20. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

That's exactly what I read and understood as well.

21. trade for PTE?
  22. MarcatGSB

I don't have and haven't seen any Tart cans yet but could they have simply put a Tart side sticker over the Plow horse label? I know their first couple non year round releases were a generic can with the beers sticker on it.
  23. kzoobrew

All of their special releases are the generic special release can with the sticker badge on it. The Tart of Darkness was the same can but had a whole can sticker this time.
  24. mjshearer1

The Tart Side logos are definitely not stickers, you wouldn't be able to peel them off at all. Now I'm not up to snuff on my canning processes, but I would imagine that by whatever process the logo is put on the can, the same process could be used to go over the Plowhorse logo if they had already made a bunch of cans for it.

EDIT: Or maybe they are stickers, as kzoobrew said. I think I have a different definition of "sticker" in my head...
  25. MarcatGSB

Like I said, the Escoffier and shit the name escapes me, the Triple or whatever that was brewed with honey, simply had a 2 by 2 sticker with the individual beers info, and then the generic Vivant info on the sides. Makes sense, and I don't have a problem with the stickers.
  26. kzoobrew

I definitely just peeled off the label from my can.
  27. Andygirl

Andygirl Savant (280) Michigan Jan 3, 2013

Zaison and Contemplation are the same silver can, different stickers. I think it's brilliant.
    MarcatGSB likes this.
  28. mjshearer1

Well...shit. :(
  29. steebo777

Damn, came and went in SE Mich. Barely any came here and it is gone (unless a kind soul can tell me where I could find some).
  30. Czar_chasm

Czar_chasm Savant (330) Michigan Jun 20, 2012

Had it on tap at betty's the other night if you strike out for cans...
    steebo777 likes this.
  31. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Are you going to founders for kbs? I got a few cans I can trade ya if your interested.
  32. steebo777

I'll be at Founders during the day Friday, have to head home about 2pm.
  33. founder26

Thats no problem I could meet you on that friday, lmk if you wanted more then 2 cans and if you wanted to trade something for them or what?
  34. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

I have 2 cans to get rid of, will be at KBS on Saturday.
  35. Tchfunkta

Tchfunkta Aficionado (215) Kentucky May 14, 2009

I've got a 4 pack coming my way!
  36. steebo777

Two cans is cool. Thanks!
  37. founder26

Ok ill be there around noon on that friday, send me a bm so I can give you my cell #
  38. agorsuch

agorsuch Zealot (75) Michigan May 17, 2012

39. steebo777

I scored some finally. Thanks for the offer though! Solid brew for sure.
  40. Skrip

Skrip Savant (360) South Carolina Oct 7, 2012