1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tart Side of the Moon by Vivant

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by GR_Beer_Nut, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Got one as a bonus beet in a trade...shout out Otis...while its not a The Brewery sour, it WAS good
  2. Saw this sittin on a few different shelves for about 2 weeks. Think theres still a few 4 packs around.

Didnt think it was that hard for people to find :/
  3. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

Any one got some to spare they can send my way?

I've had a few beers from vivant, all of them were great
  4. I've got some, that stuff is damn delicious!
  5. ROBSTARR

ROBSTARR Savant (350) Michigan Aug 31, 2009

Yeah this really shouldn't be that hard to find if your in GR area a few stores by me have plenty of this left as of yesterday. If anyone is looking to trade for this send me and BM and we'll see what we can work out. Cheers !!
  6. GR_Beer_Nut

GR_Beer_Nut Savant (355) Michigan Nov 18, 2012

I know of a place with a case... Let me know as well if anyone would like to trade (no limit on the case)
  7. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

Tribes in tinley park had it on draft as of Saturday night
  8. Etan

Etan Advocate (735) Wisconsin Jul 11, 2011

Thanks. I got a 4-pack a couple weeks ago.
  9. Nachos4two

Nachos4two Advocate (545) Illinois Nov 26, 2011

what did you think of it?
  10. Etan

I thought it was pretty nice. They could tone down the roasted malt in the base beer recipe, though.
  11. Stout or dark ale. Infected or not. Don't really care how it happened.

I had some on tap last night. This stuff is damn good. Much, much better than The Bruery's Tart of Darkness.

I just hope Vivant can reproduce it!
  12. steebo777

steebo777 Savant (485) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

See I am the opposite. I thought Tart of Darkness was much better, but I have three more Tart Sides to give it the benefit of the doubt. I just thought Tart Side was too roasty.
    Etan likes this.
  13. founder26

founder26 Savant (450) Michigan Sep 9, 2009

Hry if your looking at this thread, and im not gonna name who, classy move on calling me a dick for no reason then putting me on your ignore list, grow up!
  14. I thought Tart of Darkness did not have enough stout like characteristics. Have you ever burped and got that sour taste in the back of your throat - that was Tart of Darkness for me. Drank about half a bomber and the rest went down the drain.

But that's the greatness of beer. Something for eveyone!
  15. _Joe_

_Joe_ Zealot (85) California Nov 2, 2012

Anyone going to DLD that would want to trade some Tart Side of the Moon? BM me if you'd be interested.
  16. Flabbyjandro

Flabbyjandro Savant (445) Illinois Jun 12, 2012

Just had this at beer exchange in kzoo this past weekend....anyone with access at a local store hit me up. Would love to get a 4-8pk. Any left in Chicago? haven't been shopping, trying to save up for DLD
  17. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Had this yesterday at the brewery. Wow. I really like it, and am not a sour guy.
    Ended up with 2 4-packs from their store on site. They had plenty more when I left. If you are in GR today for KBS and looking, stop by there. They open at 3.
  18. I have liked or loved everything i have tried from Vivant........but this. I like sours, and I give them credit for taking a chance on releasing a VERY unique brew, but the sour cherry and roasty coffee flavors just were not cohesive for me.
  19. augustg

augustg Savant (270) Illinois Sep 15, 2011

Fantastic beer. Had it at Vivant last week. Wouldn't say it's particularly sour but it fits their description perfectly.
    FEUO likes this.
  20. What did you think after having it out of the can? I had both on tap and out of he can on the same night. I thought there was a lot of tartness initially from the tap, not as much from the can. Still, a very interesting beer, worth getting the 4 pack to bring home.
  21. meanmutt

meanmutt Advocate (610) Ohio Feb 6, 2012

I felt like the can tasted pretty much the same as when I had it on tap. I didn't get a big difference in tartness from one to the other.
  22. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Not a big sour guy so not sure how this might age.
    Should I have any concern over keeping this awhile or is it best fresh?
  23. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I'd say this beer should hold up well, and will definitely change over time.
  24. Saw a bunch on the shelf today. $14.99 per 4.
  25. shredder83

shredder83 Savant (420) Illinois Feb 21, 2013

Had it on draft in the Chicago burbs this weekend and I've never tried a sour, but I liked it. Roasty and tart!
  26. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

It should and from what I've read sours usually get more sour over time so if you like it tart give it some time, if you don't drink it now. Nothing is set in stone with sours though either...they kinda do what they want apparently.

I have a couple Escoffiers stashed away because I thought it was a little young fresh. I'm trying to keep it for a year or so to see if it dries out anymore.

Pretty good price, I haven't seen any of this but I have the Hubris.
  27. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

I've got a case of Escoffier stashed away and I had one yesterday, drinking fantastic! Really came into a nice beer there.
    JohnB87 likes this.
  28. loki993

loki993 Aficionado (230) Michigan Apr 16, 2009

Hmm I may have to crack one open then and see how its doing.
  29. GRDave

GRDave Aficionado (185) Michigan Oct 7, 2011

I have one Escoffier left, chilling in the cellar. Have a few Tart Sides left too, love the stuff. See Vivant is releasing a limited amount of their Black Rabbit black IPA coming up this week, only at the brewery.
    founder26 likes this.
  30. MSEGUIN

MSEGUIN Savant (375) Michigan Apr 6, 2011

Nice. Will be visiting them soon then I suppose! Freakin love Vivant.
  31. To be honest I drain poured this beer along with Hubris when my Chicago buddies brought it up a few weeks ago. It just tastes like sour beer, then again maybe I just don't like sour beer, I mean before these the only one I had was a 09 Cantillon at DLD last year. The difference is that the sour and tart flavors were mild with some sweetness. These Vevant sours, just taste like sour beer in my opinion. I'm not trying to bash it for those who like it, but if you are new to sours/tarts go for the best first.
  32. Etan

First of all, this beer is a lot less acidic (sour) than most Cantillon beers. Don't mislead people reading this thread by implying that the best sour beers are "mild and sweet" and that Cantillon (you don't even mention which beer) fits this description.

Second of all, rather than ignorantly criticize the beer for simply "being a sour beer," you should try to learn about the different types of acidity in wild ales. Perhaps you don't like an acetic acid character (which Tart Side of the Moon seems to exhibit), preferring lactic or pedio acidity. Perhaps you don't like sour beer at all.
    DOTU likes this.
  33. beerborn

beerborn Savant (345) Georgia Jan 22, 2012

Still ISO for this lol
    steebo777 likes this.
  34. DOTU

DOTU Savant (345) California Feb 11, 2011

I'm apparently getting a few bottles from a friend in MI. Psyched.
  35. I'm simply stating that sour noobs like me should start with something less sour, whichever type that may be. Maybe not, but it was an opinion and my take on it. All I know of the 09 cantillon I had was that it was mild sour and sweet and super smooth.
  36. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

If anyone in Chicago wants some, I have some to trade IP.
  37. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Zealot (90) Florida Sep 12, 2012

Was lucky enough to get one of these as an extra and drank it the night I received it. Interesting take on the tart stout would definitely drink it again! Thanks blackandyellow!
  38. Tucquan

Tucquan Advocate (545) Pennsylvania Oct 11, 2007

Enjoyed this quite a lot at the brewery on 2013-04-12. Rated it highest of the five I sampled.