1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tasting Group Question: How many new/exciting beers are brought to the table?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by codasnap52, Feb 21, 2013.

1. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

I've recently joined/started some local tasting groups and had a question for some of you tasting group and bottle share vets.

For an average sized group of 6-12 people, how many new/exciting beers do you anticipate being shared at your event? In my short time bottle sharing, I've found about 1/2 or so of the beers included are of the new/rare variety (ie. Cantillon, out of state rarities, very limited releases), while the other half are pretty standard stand-byes or ones found in many stores (ie most Dogfish Head, Ommegang, Brooklyn 750's). Not that I'm complaining! Should everyone be expected to bring their best offerings to the table, or do you generally expect a more mixed bag? I'm sure this can vary from group to group, just wanted some feedback as to what is generally shared amongst your own groups.
  2. chodog

chodog Aficionado (135) California Dec 31, 2010

as long as what the person brings is something they've never had before i'm okay with it, not every share has to be full of rare/one off beers.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  3. I have two different tasting groups (some individuals overlap both). One group meets weekly, normally 4 people sometimes 5-6. Each person usually brings 1 bomber and 1 twelve ounce bottle.

The other group meets every quarter, consisting of around 11-15 people. The beer count ranges from 25-40 bottles. Normally almost all 22 oz/750 ml, with a few small ones sprinkled in.

In both groups, we all try to bring something no one has had before, wants to try or is hard to get. Usually works out quite well, I must say.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  4. In the few tasting groups I'm in, it seems like everybody shoots to bring things that aren't available in the state, or are very limited in the state. I've usually had a few of them before, but I'd say about 80% are new to me, and 50% are exciting... but I suppose everybody has different levels of excitement. Almost anything new is at least a little exciting.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  5. CircusBoy

CircusBoy Savant (320) Ohio Mar 10, 2008

For my 30th birthday two weeks ago I had a tasting w/ about 12 people; only a couple others drank craft on a regular basis. So we didn't have anything too special (even a few bmc products), but overall had a pretty good lineup. We had about 25 different beers, Ommegang, Founders, Duvel, Stone, Sierra Nevada type stuff mostly with a couple duds mixed in but I was just happy to have a huge supply of good beer. You don't need to have the top rated beers in the world to have a good tasting.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  6. COBeerBuff

COBeerBuff Savant (335) Kansas Jan 4, 2009

As many as you feel like drinking. Often, we'll have a bunch of low ABV beers and end up killing most of them. Other times, people will bring huge stuff, and in that case, we drink what we can while our palates are still functioning. There have been tastings where I've shown up with a case of large format bottles and gone home with 6-8 of them just because we didn't get around to them or our palates were so blasted that we wouldn't have enjoyed them.

The answer to this depends entirely on the composition of your tasting group and your familiarity and comfort with each other. There are a couple guys who try to kill it every time we get together. Thanks to those guys, I've gotten to try vintage rarities that approach white whale status on these boards. A couple of other guys haven't gotten past the collecting stage so they bring more off-the-shelf beers they're comfortable with sharing. Does it annoy some of the big hitters? I'm sure it does, but we've all been in the hobby for so long, we're appreciative of the opportunity to share good/great/amazing beer and just have a good time together.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  7. sarcastro

sarcastro Savant (405) Michigan Sep 20, 2006

Our group says outright that you have to bring something that is not readily available. Most of us are traders so it isn't tough, and most go out of their way to share their best stuff.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  8. The rare/whale/not readily available tastings don't really appeal that much to me.
    I'd personally prefer full pour of beers like that and split them with a few close friends.

A tasting that is useful to me are ones where I can try a bunch of beers with the idea being that I can grab a bottle of the ones I really like in the future. Hard to do that if everybody brings bottles that aren't accessible or no longer produced.

My cool factor points go down when I can't post pictures of an "Epic Tasting" or tell friends I have had every uber rare beer under the sun, but I'll be alright.
    Deadmau5656 and codasnap52 like this.
  9. What's the membership fee for joining a tasting group? ;). I prefer tastings to be around 5-6 people with everyone bringing 2 large format bottles or more if they like. That way you still get a few ounces of each beer minimum.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  10. Quite a few for ours. It varies. Here is the list for the last tasting we had two weeks ago.

[​IMG]
    codasnap52 likes this.
  11. Well if you're in my tasting group, as many as you have.
    codasnap52 likes this.
  12. codasnap52

codasnap52 Savant (305) Connecticut Jan 24, 2008

Great responses guys, thanks! Seems to me it really depends on the group. Some with "big hitters" share vintage rarities, others consist of a group of guys just sharing the stuff they like. Its great feedback and I look forward to cultivating a comfortable level of sharing amongst my own groups.
  13. Good lord - put your dick away!
    Just kidding (no really, put it away already)

What varies? They are all top shelf