Tasting groups in northside of Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Jwren5, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (300) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

Hey, my husband and I just relocated to Chicago, and are looking for a new tasting group. If anyone would be gracious enough to let us join theirs, it would be appreciated...and pretty awesome. If there are any takers, let me know! Thanks!

2. MasterSki

MasterSki Site Editor (1,035) Ontario (Canada) Dec 25, 2006 Staff Member

There are a lot of tasting groups, and a lot of overlap between them. Where on the north side are you? Lakeview? Uptown? I can give some suggestions for places to meet local BAs and perhaps forge some in-person acquaintances.

3. Jwren5

Much appreciated response.....I sent you a message with more details of my location.

4. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (215) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

In for more details on general location and tasting groups.

5. I'm in Wicker Park. Don't have a formal tasting group but I'm always up for meeting with great beer accompaniment.

6. Jwren5

I'm in the East Lakeview area. It would def. be nice to meet more fellow BAs!

7. mdomask

mdomask Savant (370) Illinois May 27, 2012

Ukranian Village here, but also spend a decent amount of time in the far north suburbs. It would be nice to meet up with people from on here.

8. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (135) California Jul 21, 2010

I am also in wicker park, Lets start one up!

mdomask likes this.
  9. mdomask

@
    I'm all for this. Be nice to get a regular group going near my place.

10. DanH11

DanH11 Aficionado (180) Illinois Feb 26, 2012

I would be interested in a regular wicker park / bucktown tasting group as well. I wouldn't mind meeting up with a few people to discuss this if people are serious.

mdomask likes this.
  11. I would be interested in this. I live a bit north in Irving Park but very willing the last meet closer to the city.

12. im very interested, but wont be living in chicago until october...moving to old town.

13. mbierz

mbierz Aficionado (155) Illinois Dec 6, 2008

Wicker Park and would be in for a meetup. Not terribly plugged into the new beer scene or following the releases these days, though.

14. Jwren5

I don't follow new beer releases as much as some, but it would be fun to have people to get together and discuss/enjoy a few beers with.

15. mdomask

My weekends are a little bit crazy until mid-August, but my weeknights are pretty flexible. If anyone wants to meet up to work out some details, I'm very up for it. Map Room is right in the Wicker Park/Bucktown area and has a pretty good selection if people want to get together there to hammer out the tasting details. Otherwise, we can just get a BM chain going.

16. ravot

ravot Savant (490) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

i'm down. i live in the city. and work around those neighborhoods.

17. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (135) California Jul 21, 2010

I live very close to the map room so that works for me. Im also open for anywhere else. I try to follow releases as much as I can but thats not the only reason why I want to join a group. Meeting some fellow BA's from around here and trying some different brews are my main priorities.

18. DanH11

I was going to recommend the Map Room. I only live 4 or 5 blocks from there. I would be down with meeting up with some people this weekend to discuss. I don't know what a good size for a tasting group is, don't want too many people, but there looks to be at least 10 people who have expressed interest. I know my wife would want to participate as well.

19. ravot

well if it's going to be at a bar, maproom would be decent during the week, non peak hours. if it's going to be a tasting/byob. sounds stupid, but a BYOB place would be ideal. sounds stupid, but hookah places allow byob. it'll be a start. usually younger crowds...but eh. free space.

20. Jwren5

I've heard good things about the map room. If anyone wants to me up, my husband and I are prly able to make it.

21. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (715) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

I think we need to create an official event. I have a "regular" tasting group but would love to meet more BA's. If I could get a bar to "host" us near Lakeview, would people be in? And by "host" I mean allow us to bottle share if we ordered beers & food.

22. Sean9689

I'm thinking bear Belmont & Lincoln near the Paulina Brown Line.

23. dpjosuns

dpjosuns Savant (280) Illinois Dec 8, 2009

I'm in East Lakeview and would be down.

24. Jwren5

If it's on the weekend, I should be able to go.

25. Sean9689

I'm thinking weeknight...maybe Thursday's so it's not super-busy.

26. Jwren5

I see your point with that, and I like that idea. As someone who is unemployed at the moment, I don't have a preference, but I was thinking of my husband. If it's a weekday, we'll figure it out.

27. Sean9689

I'm going to throw this idea out to said bar and see what they say...

28. DanH11

A bottle share would be fun, but I am more interested in joining or getting a regular tasting group. I wasn't expecting the tasting group to meet at a bar, I wanted to meet people interested in forming a tasting group at the bar so that we can discuss expectations. How often we would meet, where, styles that people like, etc. I want to make sure everyone is on the same page before starting so that we all get what we are looking for.

I would meet up with people either Saturday or Sunday (or in the next week or two if people are busy); probably in the afternoon so its not as crowded and loud. Everybody enjoys some good day drinkin.

mdomask likes this.
  29. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (420) Illinois May 6, 2012

Wicker Park here as well. Down for sharing beers. Let me know if something gets organized.

30. mdomask

I was also thinking using the bar meetup to finalize plans for a more regular tasting group at a private residence or BYOB place. Basically, the initial meeting is just to get interested people together, since in-person meetings go much easier than lots of messaging back and forth.

I should be free during the day this Saturday, but Sunday is a bit up in the air right now.

31. stephenieman

stephenieman Savant (275) Illinois Oct 14, 2011

Edgewater here. Got a hectic schedule until mid-August but after that (preferably weekends) Id be down.

Wicker Park / Bucktown Im not into but Northside would be great!

The22Lou likes this.
  32. My days off rotate so I don't think I would be able to set a weekly tasting but whenever I'm off and people want to meet and share great beer, I'm down.

33. RC0032

RC0032 Aficionado (215) Illinois Mar 10, 2009

Im interested...I would prefer brownline to wicker park.

34. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

I'd be down for the Wicker Park-ish tasting group. Could meet up at Map Room most any time over the weekend or weekday evenings. I have a roof deck to myself near Western and Division and could host if the group is a reasonable size.

Dontcounttoday, ravot and Gcarns like this.
  35. ravot

^ i'm sold.

36. I really need to open up a ton of beer from my cellar, and most of my friend's don't appreciate the beer, so I would love to get in on a tasting group.

Actually, honest question, is there much of a difference between a tasting group and a bottle share?

37. ravot

A bottle share would be a one time thing. Here. I'll share my last cupcake. A group would.be more consistent.
    I kid..I know what you mean. Would love to see this happen.

38. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (420) Illinois May 6, 2012

So you are bringing cupcakes too? Score!

ravot and Jwren5 like this.
  39. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (180) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

IDK, I want some bros to come over with 3 or 4 bombers and we drink them and talk about them...and other shit. That's what i'm looking for.

40. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (370) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

I'm in wicker park now and moving right up near you (western and diverseyish) august 1st. I'm in for this.