1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tasting groups in northside of Chicago?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by Jwren5, Jul 14, 2012.

1. I would definitely have some interest in this idea. Wicker park might be doable but anywhere off the red or brown line works better for me. I think lots of people have busy weekends so I like the idea of a weeknight group.
  2. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I would be down too. Hopefully I can still walk home if we were to each bring 4 bombers.....
  3. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

That's an awesome offer! Out of curiosity, what's "reasonable size?" :)

As far as meeting up over the weekend goes, I'm all for an early afternoon meeting at Map Room just to hammer out details of when/where/what/who for a regular tasting group. I'm thinking about 1 p.m. or so. Just after lunch, so perfect time for a couple beers.
  4. mdomask

It's looking like there's probably enough people that both a Wicker Park/Bucktown group and a Red Line/Brown Line group are doable. No reason why there can't be multiple tasting groups with some crossover between.
  5. ravot

ravot Savant (460) Illinois Mar 20, 2012

Weeknights work for me and most weekends. We can make a google docs page and make a list to avoid dupes. Or like you said. Meet at map room and knock out details.
  6. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

East Logan Square here. Would love to get in on this. I host tastings at my place a few times a year. I prefer a bottle share as opposed to a bar meetup. There is a reason I have a cellar collection after all ;)

I would follow this thread. There was a recent beer share at a public location. They are going to plan another one in the near future. I think going to try every 2-3 months. A great way to meet some local BA's without having to host at your place with a bunch of people you don't know:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/chicagos-beer-lovers-beer-share-event.7006/
  7. Add me to the list.
  8. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

The amount of people isn't a space issue or anything, I just don't want a shitload of people so everyone can get a decent pour from each beer. If there are 6 people, each person gets about a 3.5oz pour from a typical bomber....which I think is pretty ideal.
  9. JmH

JmH Aficionado (135) Illinois Jun 6, 2012

mark me down for the wicker park / bucktown contingent

i also like the idea of a bottle share -- depending on the size of the group, each bro bringing 2-3 bombers would allow for everyone getting a chance to try a new / different beer. everybody wins
  10. mdomask

Sounds like a good size to me. Getting 2oz of a beer really isn't enough to evaluate.
  11. Gcarns

Gcarns Aficionado (125) California Jul 21, 2010

This all sounds great. I am a stumble away from map room so that meet up place would be great. I also would be more than willing to host depending on the size.
  12. Gcarns

Sorry forgot to mention, I have no roof deck. haha
  13. DanH11

DanH11 Aficionado (160) Illinois Feb 26, 2012

I was thinking 6 or so as well. I should be able to meet tomorrow afternoon to discuss the logistics.
    mdomask likes this.
  14. Mjmoser

Mjmoser Savant (410) Illinois May 6, 2012

I am heading out of town, but if whomever is organizing will post a link or ask for personal emails that would be cool. I would like to do this as well, just won't be around to help coordinate.
  15. DanH11

DanH11 Aficionado (160) Illinois Feb 26, 2012

I'll be at Map Room at 1 tomorrow. See you there.
  16. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

I'm pouring up in Lincoln Square for the fest tomorrow from 11-3pm. I can meet at map room (right near my current apartment) after--otherwise just keep me updated on this business.
  17. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Do it the weekend of August 18 and I'm in
  18. mdomask

That's the one weekend that's completely bad for me in August, since a major event is happening in Indianapolis. It even has a brewery tour. :(
  19. jegross2

jegross2 Advocate (715) Illinois Jan 3, 2010

Boo. First week is lollapalooza. Second is great taste. Anyone who is anyone is gonna be busy those 2weekends ;)

Weekend after is my tentative "going away" party
  20. mdomask

Third week is a thing called Gen Con, which attracts ~35k people to Indianapolis every year. I've had a hotel booked there since January :(
  21. mdomask

I'll be there around 1ish wearing a bright yellow MGMT t-shirt, since that's nice and recognizable.
  22. My girlfriend and I will unfortunately be unavailable tomorrow (friends and family plans) but we would love to be regulars in the tasting group.
  23. Jwren5

Jwren5 Savant (300) Illinois Aug 26, 2011

Well, it appears I stopped getting email notifications that people were responding to this. How did the map room meetup go?
  24. mdomask

Pretty well! I'm going to post up a couple notes later today, after running some errands.
  25. ravot

while i missed the meet up (out of town) would be interested on the tasting group meet ups.
  26. Gcarns

I also missed the meeting, I had work all morning on Saturday.
  27. mdomask

Here's what we got from Saturday. We had four people show up for some delicious day drinking.
    • Once per month
    • Limit of 6-7 people to ensure everyone gets a good pour
    • Zieglemt generously offered space at his pad, with the potential of us rotating to spread the burden
    • 2 bombers minimum; people are welcome to bring more
    • First tasting is "bring whatever," with theme nights a potential from there on out.
    Everyone seemed pretty excited to get this going. We decided on Friday, August 24 at 7:00 p.m. as the first tasting, since everyone seemed to have that date open.
    Just as a note, this was specifically about a Wicker Park/Bucktown area group. It'd be cool if other people could get another group together closer to the Red/Brown lines, since there seemed to be a lot of interest in that area.
    It was great meeting everyone!
  28. Gcarns

Count me in. I live around the area of map room. It seems that there are a bit more than 7 people that shared interest though. (my girlfriend would potentially be an additional person) especially if I hosted one. If more people wanted to join and still brought the allotted amount of beer would that be a possibility?
  29. zieglemt

zieglemt Aficionado (170) Illinois Apr 25, 2011

We already discussed this and the problem with more people is that you don't get decent tastings. 10 people and you get 2 oz of each beer. Who wants 2 sips of a beer? The overall group can be bigger because there is no way everyone can make it each time, but all that met agree that we want to cap each meeting at 7 people.
    mdomask likes this.
  30. Gcarns

31. dlello2

dlello2 Savant (360) Illinois Nov 11, 2011

I'm free the 24th as well. Definitely in if there's space. Cheers.

Edit: Also willing to be a rotating host if need be.
  32. I would be interested in a Lakeview tasting group!
  33. Jwren5

Ok, so, Lakeview ppl...any ideas? Do we want to meet somewhere and formulate a plan?
  34. Sean9689

Sean9689 Advocate (705) Illinois Mar 17, 2009

I'm going to be out of town for the next week and the SF the week after that, so I'm pretty much all booked up for the next few weeks. However, I would be up for something in the Roscoe Village/Lakeview area.
  35. Jwren5

I think the more BA's a person can meet, the better. If anyone else from the lakeview area wants to get together, I propose we meet up at Local Option the second weekend in Aug. Yes? No? Maybe? I am open to suggestions.
  36. ravot

this going to be exclusive to residents of the area, or just the area of the tastings?
  37. Jwren5

I just said lakeview ppl because I was thinkingas of myself, and I am kind of lazy....however if ppl from other areas besides just lakeview are interested, that sounds fine to me! Since I am newer to the city, I initially was looking for a group a little closer to home, however, last weekend I discovered the CTA, so I am more open to traveling.
  38. ravot

currently assisting on a southside tasting. live down there but i work in the lakeview/wrigley areas as well as rivernorth. so either area is easy for me to get to.

i asked because mdomask had some notes from their meet about having residents only, or at least that's what i understood it for.
  39. I could meet up for a Lakeview group. I don't think theres going to be an Irving Park tasting group, and I am willing to drive a little bit.