1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tasting order help - Goose Island beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ckobes, Feb 26, 2013.

1. ckobes

ckobes Initiate (0) Illinois Jul 11, 2012

Put together a sampling of Goose Island beers for a tasting and I would appreciate everyone's input on what order they should be drank in. The list includes:

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 BCBS
    2011, 2012 BCBCS
    Bramble Rye
    Cherry Rye
    BCBVS
    Big John
    2011, 2012 Night Stalker
    Juliet
    Lolilta
    Madame Rose,
    2011, 2012 Matilda
    2010, 2012 Pere Jacques

Thanks for the help!

2. incubuscience

incubuscience Savant (415) Illinois Jul 26, 2012

Personally, I'd do these on two separate days.

Depending on the group size, you'll likely be schnuckered by the time you finish all that BCS. And if you do the BCS first, in addition to being three sheets, your palate will be wrecked for the lighter, fruitier beers. If you do the Ladies/Lighters first, you may be too schnuckered to really appreciate the subtle variances of the regular years of BCS, or even the complexities of the flavored BCSes.

That's just me, though.

3. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

How many people?
    I think no matter how you go, your palate is going to be destroyed halfway through. A good problem I guess.
    If it were me I would break this up into 2 tastings. stouts and non stouts. Night Stalker is the kicker.
    sorry I wasnt any help.

4. Am I invited?

5. Sounds awful. Why not stay away from the macros and have a tasting with some craft beers?

6. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Savant (425) Indiana Jun 5, 2012

While I agree with everyone here who says that it should be two days, ill offer a tasting order anyways.

Day/Part 1:

BCBS Vertical.
    BC Varient Horizontal
    Big John
    Night Stalker Mini Vertical

Day/Part 2:
    Pere Jacques
    Matilda
    3 Sisters.

This allows for the Bourbon Counties to be compared to one another fairly as possible, while looking at the difference of Cook County Stout when you hop it versus when you throw cocoa nibs into. Day 2 is a lot easier, Pere Jacques doesnt really fit with the rest, so you could put it on either end, I just chose the beginning. Matilda has a little bit of Brett, so its a good stepping stone to the sours.