1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tasting Order IPAs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by CarolinaKev, Feb 22, 2013.

1. I have some friends coming over tonight for a Pre-Brewvival party. We all have quite a few awesome IPAs we are sharing. Here is the list:
    DIPAs-
    Pliny the Elder
    Alpine Pure Hoppiness
    Alpine Nelson
    Surly Abrasive
    Hoplslam
    Three Floyd's Arctic Panzer Wolf
    DFH 120 Minute
    Deschutes Hop Henge
    Knee Deep Hop Shortage
    Lagunitas Sucks
    Pipeworks Ninja vs. Unicorn
    21st Amendment Hop Crisis
    O'so Lupulin Maximus
    Heady Topper

IPAs-
    Surly Furious
    Blind Pig
    Sculpin
    Toppling Goliath Zeelander
    Toppling Goliath Golden Nugget
    Ska Modus Hoperandi

I had no idea our list would get this big! What would be a good approach in tasting order? Obviously, we can't try them all, if we did, we could never survive Brewvival. I will try to post the pics of alll them before we get started.
    blckout20 and devlishdamsel like this.
  2. That's a hell of a lineup of great IPAs/IIPAs! That being said, I'd be worried about destroying my palate before even getting to Brewvival. I'd pick a few favorites (or ones that I'm dying to try), work my way from the bottom to the top of the list, and then enjoy the hell out of Brewvival. It's a sold out event with some killer beer ... might as well make the most of it, right?

By the way, I'm not a big fan of Thomas Creek, but those casks sound amazing! Have a blast!
  3. cincysig

cincysig Savant (330) Massachusetts Sep 15, 2010

GREAT LIST! I've only had seven of those...and I think I get around :)
    Lipsntoes and 1424IpA like this.
  4. My only suggestion is to do the Nelson first. Nelson hops in that one are amazing and I think they might get muddled more than any other beers flavor profile if tasted in the middle.

Beer tastings are one of the instances where "save the best for last" is a bad idea.
  5. Mag00n

Mag00n Savant (355) New York Nov 21, 2008

heady abrasive furious, make a voltron with the rest
    litheum94 likes this.
  6. rails

rails Aficionado (170) California Nov 8, 2012

too much of a good thing got to mix it up son
    victory4me and RobertColianni like this.
  7. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Savant (425) Texas Nov 21, 2008

Tasting order needs to be related to how dry the beers are. As a general rule, you simply should not follow up a sweet beer with a dry bitter bitter, regardless of overall IBUs. I say this all the time on BA, "You dont drink the orange juice after eating the pancakes". If you habituate your tastebuds to a beer with higher residual sugar, they will be incapable of picking up the lower residual sugar in the drier beer.
    brywhite likes this.
  8. Sounds too good to be true, just saying..
  9. Tough one. I would say leave hop crisis, hoperandi, and hop henge out of the line up all together. Make sure to have blind pig and Pliny side by side. I haven't had any Alpine but those need to be drank as well. Maybe take the ones most have had already or are readily available out of the line up. Maybe then go by ABV? Lowest to highest?
  10. I did a DFH tasting a couple weeks ago and went 60 - 75 - 90 - Burton Baton - 120 in that order. I'd suggest arranging your IPAs, and then moving to the double IPAs. As you can see, I arranged mine in terms of how hoppy they are, but it was easier since it was all the same brewery.

I also personally think you have a few too many if you plan to taste all of them. I'd recommend doing 2 separate tastings with that very impressive list.
    MarriedAtGI likes this.
  11. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Advocate (640) Ohio Nov 11, 2011

I think a good rule of thumb is going from lowest IBU to highest IBU and disregard ABV. If you start with the higher IBU beers, you will wreck your palate and not be able to appreciate the lower IBU beers. Cheers!! Sounds like an awesome night ahead!!
    bryanole27 likes this.
  12. Too many hops for one night; it would be a shame to miss out on the full flavors of some of those beers.

However, if you want to do all of them, I would definitely go malty to dry. Except for the 120 minute. You can drink that first, last, or even in the middle to mix it up. It's so much different than everything else present, it doesn't much matter.
  13. dougfur

dougfur Savant (310) New York Jan 24, 2011

I'd just stick to one for tonight and then send the rest to:

Dougfur
    PO BOX 455...
  14. This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Rank them by IBUs, start at the lowest. No doubt you will suffer palate fatigue regardless, but should be a fun ride!
    CarolinaKev likes this.
  15. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) California Dec 29, 2008

Pfft. I guess that's an alright list...
    CarolinaKev and Shmuffalo like this.
  16. That is a shitload of hops at once.
    CarolinaKev likes this.
  17. dickieb

dickieb Initiate (0) Rhode Island Mar 26, 2006

I would think cutting back the selection a bit might be in order. Also I can vouch that Heady will destroy your palate for other hoppy beer for days, and i'm sure the same could be said for other overly hoppy brews.
  18. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Advocate (615) Iowa Jan 12, 2013

How did you score growlers of those Toppling Goliath beers all the way in South Carolina?
  19. Agree that's too much IPA and the Hopslam and heady will ruin any other.. even RR Pliny. Drink the singles, they are top notch, finish with hop crisis then 120.
  20. dav2080

dav2080 Aficionado (200) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2012

You just go to Brewvival and I will watch all those beers for you and clean up. OK?
  21. Oh, and pour out the Sucks.
  22. Why the fuck would you do this to your palate?

Too much hops.
  23. Yes this!
  24. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

Whatever you do, don't start with the 120!
    CarolinaKev likes this.
  25. The first couple will taste great and the rest will be garbage once your palate has been defeated.
  26. 1424IpA

1424IpA Savant (395) California Nov 2, 2012

start with the single ipa's you have listed but drink them in the reverse order you wrote down, then move to a couple of the dipa's ending with alpines, pliny and abrasive, its called that for a reason..super good but definitely the last horah!
  27. Sorry it took a while to respond. I appreciate all the advice. We were trying the IPAs the night before Brewvival. We ended up starting with the Toppling Goliath Zeelander which was a grapefruit bomb! Loved it! We then tried some of the Golden Nugget which was very good too. My father-in-law was kind enough to bring me back a bunch of beer from WI, IA and MN. Next we tried the Blind pig which was very good. Then Pliny was next. Extra smooth and pretty much the definition of a balanced IPA. We then moved to Heady topper. IMO I liked the extra pine and back of the palate bitterness better than the Pliny. However, the Pliny was the easier drinking one. Next, we did Ninja vs Unicorn. It was also very well balanced,but tasted a mild booziness. Then we tried the Surly Abrasive. It was my favorite of the night, but not by much over the Heady. The Abrasive had just the right amount of hop forwardness but yet remained smooth. We then split a 2009 bottle of DFH Palo Santo. That blew me away! It had such a great smoothness compared to fresh strong Palo. We finished off the night with DFH 120 from 2011. It was crazy good too very hop forward and omg I could feel the alcohol kick in with each sip.

Overall, an awesome night of IPA tasting. I will have to move on to the others and try with time. We had an epic time at Brewvival. I got a great pic with Sam Calgione. There was mud wrestling and phenomenal beers. I had a randalized version of 120 with some ? Summit hops if I remember right. I can't tell you the best beer because so many stood out.

I still have an awesome selection of beer to choose from for weeks to come. :)
  28. I was fortunate enough to have my father in law pick some up from the brewery in Decorah on his road trip down here for my son's B day. They live near Red Wing MN. :)
    BottleCaps80 likes this.
  29. 2 much on the palate you will miss some great tastes in 1 night spread these out a little
  30. Love hops. Did it the night before!
  31. The Palo Santo is an interesting and awesome addition into the middle of that lineup. I'm gonna have to pick up some of that for aging purposes.
  32. I totally loved it! We were feeling real good at that point. It ended up working out well. Aging the palo santo really helps it out with the high ABV.
  33. Watch for the package...but don't hold your breath!
  34. Lipsntoes

Lipsntoes Savant (305) Ohio Jul 15, 2012

Are you an IPA slut? :D
    CarolinaKev likes this.
  35. Thats my damage...pretty stellar list. Would have been cool if someone could have sent you some other great IPAs from VT other then heady.
    CarolinaKev likes this.