1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tastings and beer gatherings in Madison

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by lunarbrew, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (955) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

Heading to Tyranena Brewery to buy a case of Shaggin in the Wood, it was bottled today!

2. Could you ask about how much they have? I might want to do the same run out there tomorrow. Also, I see they have 2012 Down 'N Dirty Stout Aged In Rye Whiskey Barrels on tap, or did on Weds. FB comments show that this one is not available in bottles or as a growler fill.

3. Ri0

There is a ton of Shaggin in the Wood. Come tomorrow, you'll be happy.

4. Dactrius

Dactrius Advocate (500) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

It looks like they're distributing Shagging in the Wood (unlike that last round of Who's your Daddy) so you shouldn't need to hit the brewery unless you want to buy massive quantities or have some tasty beer on tap.

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

Let me know how Shaggin' in the Woods goes! I really enjoyed the only other barrel-aged scotch ale I've had (Big Sound)

6. Ri0

Damn was the BA Down and Dirty Incredible. I may have to drive down again to drink another glass ($5 for 12oz) Shaggin in the Wood is very good on tap and I'm sure good in the bottle as well. From what I could tell the bourbon isn't as strong as Backwoods Bastard.

7. Just tapped the IIPA at the Blue Moon Today...

Ri0 likes this.
  8. Yep. On the east side :cool:

9. IIPA is on at Tipsy Cow.

10. Fyi the barrel aged down'n dirty is gone at tyranena.

11. Ri0

That went quick. It will be on tap "from time to time" as mentioned on the FB page.

12. Thanks. We ended up just hitting Three Floyds on the way. Our schedule didn't work out for much else.

13. Stevedore

That's probably good enough- if you had only one stop to make in between Michigan and Wisconsin, I guess FFF would have been it!

14. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2013

Hopslam tapped at Maduro. Tasting surprising fresh!

Ri0 likes this.
  15. lunarbrew

And additionally--on the topic of FFF--Dreadnaught is also tapped. Yumm

Ri0 likes this.
  16. Last time they brewed it they made a ton of it. It should hit distro pretty hard. In years past it hasn't been 100% barrel aged (can't remember the exact blend percents off hand), so they can usually stretch it further.

17. Dactrius

It sounds like one of you Madison folks in this thread is friends with one of my coworkers. Out of curiosity which one of you is friends with a guy who works at an office with just 3 people for a company that has a relatively long, ridiculous sounding name?

18. Ri0

It's 70% BA as it reads on the bottle I am drinking right now. :)

19. Stevedore

Hopefully there's a decent amount that makes distro in Madison. Looking forward to grabbing some! Assume they are 6-pks right?

20. Dactrius

They should be Brewers Gone Wild so 4 packs, but at $8.50 or so, still a steal for a 70%BB beer.

Ri0 likes this.
  21. Ri0

O'so tap takeover at Craftsman in Middleton this Wednesday. BB Night Train and Wee on the Lamb are included and Marc Buttera will be there.

22. I know I suggested this Saturday as potential meet up time at Dexter's, but I somehow forgot it was Easter weekend. I'm not seeing much interest in meeting up in this thread though, so if anyone wants to try meeting up sometime, please BM myself & lunarbrew.

lunarbrew likes this.
  23. Stevedore

I would do something but I'm in Minneapolis with the fiancée's grandma this weekend. If I get my hands on some Surly though, expect there to be some at the next gathering. :)

lunarbrew likes this.
  24. Ri0

Grab all the different GD Yeti's you can find.

25. Stevedore

That's another nice suggestion, the one Espresso Yeti bomber I have is lonely

26. Grab some Odell Lugene Stout. It is awesome period. Take Choklat and mix with your favorite milk stout. Damn near perfect. On my second 4 pk of Abrasive and loving it :D

A while back I did hear they were discontinuing Espresso. I hope that isn't the case.

27. iipa is on at roast on state street. other current notables they have on draft include ten fidy, curmudgeon, and alchemy hour.

28. FYI: Woodman's West has Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer (Blue stripe) in corked bomber bottles. I had this at Malt Haus on tap a couple weeks ago and it was awesome. I don't know if this is rare/hard to find or not, but I'm happy I found some.

29. allouez86

allouez86 Savant (340) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Not too hard to find but absolutely delicious. I'd recommend buying a few more and laying them down for a few years as they only get better with age. One of my absolute favorites.

30. Stevedore

As soon as my wallet recovers from last month's spending binge and for everyone else, after The Great KBS Race of Madison is over, I'm hoping to make a transition into the Belgian beer styles. Especially sours. Anyone want to teach me? :)

31. lunarbrew

32. Stevedore

I'd not seen that. It's not 4/1 so if this is serious- I don't plan on brewing sours anytime soon, but that's pretty interesting. Even if its not serious!

33. lunarbrew

It was posted yesterday, so definitely an AF joke. My favorite line is, "The flavors are sour, salty, and dirty. One sip of a beer fermented with the Fermentation Airsock will have you saying 'Wow, that's disgusting'"

:)

34. Stevedore

I imagine sours are disgusting to most, but what really got me exploring different beers (outside of Natty Bo when I was in Baltimore for college) was Lindeman's Framboise. Then it wasn't too far from that that I started trying Dogfish Head. And then now I'm in Wisconsin and drinking New Glarus' fruit beers. Hopefully it isn't too much of a stretch to say I should be OK with sours.. getting some Russian River sours this weekend so lets hope its not all for naught. And of course willing to share with anyone here who's interested in sours!

35. lunarbrew

If someone is not interested in at least trying RR sours, they can go home.

36. Ri0

Uhhh, Hello! Love sours, but not the prices!

37. I dont know the details off-hand, but I know Craftsman is holding a "beer school" for sours during beer week. $15 and you get to sample a few sours and they have someone there to explain, ask questions to, etc.

38. Stevedore

Awesome! I'll have to check that out!

And I'll try and save a bottle of Supplication for whenever we have a beer gathering next. We'll see how far we can stretch a 375... :)

39. Dactrius

Sour school is at the same time as KBS tapping somewhere else. Should make sour school far less busy, which is a good thing.

40. Stevedore

Traveling to Philly was a good time. Spent half my evenings there drinking delicious pints of Pliny the Elder (plus some Blind Pig, Redemption and Damnation) at Monk's/Belgian Cafe.

However, Philly bottle shops should be indicted for the grievous crime of rape though- I saw Black Ops being sold for $30, Boltcutter still being sold for $25, Avery Uncle Jacob's Stout for $17 (12oz bottle), etc, etc. Despite seeing all these interesting/awesome beers sitting on the shelf, I just couldn't pull the trigger on them.

Oh well. To try to revive things a bit, anyone see anything interesting on tap around town? Or even anything fun going on?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.