1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tastings and beer gatherings in Madison

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by lunarbrew, Mar 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Savant (360) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2013

I've been spending a lot of time at Maduro lately. Always have consistent taps, especially if you're a fan of Bells. They're still tapping hopslam and apparently have plenty more (even some casked). I would think the life on that one couldn't be much longer, though....right? Enjoyed some Duchess last night.

I've also been wanting to head over to the malt house and have some of that 2011 Bigfoot which has been tapped for a while.
  2. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

3. bpfrush

bpfrush Advocate (535) Wisconsin Jan 24, 2009

Fwiw, Brasserie V has Black Albert and Cuvee Delphine on tap. Expensive at $12/10 oz pour, but there won't be too many chances to try these on tap. Should last through the end of the week according to the bartender.
  4. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (835) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

5. Went to their European Beer Tasting on Sunday...I think a few of those beers are left over, and they turned the 4-5 Struise beers into the mini tap takeover. All of them for $25, the ones you mentioned + 2009 Pannepot, Rio Reserva and maybe one more. The Rio Reserva is definitely worth the trip.
  6. Stevedore

How are you liking those tasting events at B5- worth the price of admission? I can't really justify spending that much money on these (taking into account the food), not with the money I've been spending on KBS, Surly and Russian River lately.

Also, is anyone else here a fan of Deschutes? The Black Butte is my favorite porter (in case you didn't figure that out) and the Obsidian Stout is a fantastic American stout. I get them when I'm in Minnesota or Illinois, but would be stoked if we saw distro here in WI. But I recently saw this on beerpulse which kinda annoyed me- screw Ohio, bring it to Wisconsin!

@BeerBizDaily
    Harry Schuhmacher
    Deschutes to enter Nebraska and Iowa this year, Ohio next year, per CBD. The march east continues.Unrelated, Asian carp enter G Lakes.
  7. The brasserie v tastings are pretty worth it I think. For $50 I got to try 12 beers, all of which are super rare on tap and a few that are hard to find even in Belgium. But they dont put bad beers on tap so no surprise there. That was the first one I did and I don't have any major complaints. They're normally closed on Sunday afternoons, and capped the ticket sales at 65, so there was plenty of space to get around between both sides and try stuff without having to make your way through any crowds.

And word on the street is Deschutes will be in Wisconsin sometime fairly soon.
  8. Stevedore

I'll have to join up for something similar at some point. I'll be in Belgium for a couple days in July so I might as well start building up my appreciation for Belgian styles beyond Ommegang and sours :)

I really hope Deschutes comes to WI soon. That would pretty much take care of my fridge staple needs.
  9. Ri0

Hmmm.. Let me think
    The Abyss
    The Dissident
    Red Chair
    Obsidian Stout
    Black Butte Porter

Yes, I'd be down with Deschutes in Madison.

I'd be even more happy to see Toppling Goliath IPA's and Pale Ales start showing up in Madison.
  10. Deschutes had been promising Wisconsin distro for about a year, but haven't heard anything since they started adding all these new markets that aren't Wisconsin. I'd love to see them here. Red Chair is fantastic stuff.
  11. Stevedore

Nope, nothing I know of for Alesmith distro- other than them promising they're coming to WI. Luckily its just a 45 minute drive from Madison to Beloit to access decent Illinois distro, so while it's still a decent trip, it's not impossible on a free weekend morning, I think.
  12. Ri0

Where do you go in Beloit?
  13. Stevedore

Thanks to Gotti311 for pointing it out to me a few months back: Everett's, about a mile and half off of exit 1 on I-39/90. I'll sometimes stop by whenever I'm going through to Chicago or further east. They get some Pipeworks too, though its usually not as good a selection as the bigger stores in downtown Chicago. But anyway, they do get AleSmith stuff including Speedway.
  14. Stevedore

Looks like Beloit is the place to be to get AleSmith brews for the coming year.

Also, Steve's tweeted apparently a half hour ago that they have Toppling Goliath Assassin. $26 a bomber. I'm going to pass on this one since I spent all my beer money in Minnesota and Pennsylvania in just the last 2 weeks.
  15. Ri0

How did they get some? Someone that works there must have gone to the brewery this weekend?
  16. psychotia

psychotia Savant (350) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

hot damn! I know it wasn't distributed; the beer guy musta made a pick-up!
  17. Stevedore

Is that even legal? I've seen DFH WWS on sale at Riley's before and wondered what that was all about.
  18. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (450) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

They self distribute. Woodmans for example isn't getting any.
  19. Riley's tweeted that Alesmith is delayed until at least the end of the year! Damn me for bringing it up!
  20. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Just noticed this thread with all the Wisconsinites. Hello.
  21. Benish

Benish Savant (460) Wisconsin Mar 13, 2013

Just glad I found this thread, nice to be on top of the new comings in Madison. Looks like nothing out of the ordinary right now except for the fact that Assassin is in town. No thanks to a $26 bottle though.
  22. Riley's cellars a lot of stuff, Im 99% sure what you saw was leftover from when DFH distributed here. Palo Santo was popping up every now and then as well.
  23. Did I miss Heresy? I think it should have been here before Insanity according to Weyerbacher's release schedule.
  24. Nope, Jenny St just got it, imagine others have or will have it soon.
  25. My timing is impeccable :cool: Stopping by Dexter's tonight to check out the facelift after hitting up Old Fashioned's party.
  26. psychotia

psychotia Savant (350) Minnesota Jun 27, 2009

So did TG really deliver assassin? Or was that just a Steve's thing of some sort?
  27. _Joe_

_Joe_ Zealot (85) California Nov 2, 2012

I know 2 Steve's employee's drove down to the event and bought bottles, brought them back to Steve's, and then sold them. When I bought a bottle they said that TG was coming sometime this week with an actual shipment of assassin. I don't know if that came in yet or not.
  28. Dactrius

Dactrius Savant (450) Wisconsin Apr 23, 2012

Yes, the first assassin Steve's had was from their road trip. The second must have been from TG distributing it (same way Star got it).
  29. So I'm relatively new to the Madison area. Saw this thread floating around on the front page, thought I'd stop in. Can anyone fill me in on some of the better bottle shops in town?
  30. In no particular order: Steve's, Riley's, Star, Woodman's, HyVee, Trixie's, Alpine. I do most of my shopping at Woodman's and supplement at the others on occasion.
  31. Gotti311

Gotti311 Advocate (545) Wisconsin Mar 22, 2009

Here is my list in order: Jenifer Street Market, Rileys, Steves (University is probably best location). You will find pretty much every beer in the city at one of those 3 locations.
  32. Stevedore

Woodman's is my go-to place for pretty much any shelf and rotating bottles. They are almost always $1+ cheaper than everywhere else. But there are times where you'd be more likely to find more limited seasonals at the other shops, especially the ones that tweet them (Steve's, Riley's). So cast a broad net if you have the time or desire, but Woodman's is the place to be.
  33. Woodmans is cheap but I get weird vibes when I'm there. Plus one employee told me they were working on getting a new distributor to get them DFH, which hasn't been in the state for years now. Dur.
  34. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Will definitely be checking out most of these!
  35. Stevedore

True, its definitely not a place to go to talk beer with the beer guy and get recommendations. You just go when you know what you want to get and you want it cheaper.
  36. The SP beer and liquor manager seems to be the most knowledgeable/on top of things between the 3 stores.
  37. Last night's Madison tasting:
    [​IMG]
    Top: Cider Bouche Brut de Normandie Etienne DuPont, Cigar City Kalevipoeg, Shaggin in the Wood, Isastegi Sagardo Naturala, Crooked Stave WWB Indigo, 2012 Fou Foune, Pipeworks Chipotle Smoked Porter, Kopi Speedway, Mikkeller Tiger Baby - Open Windows Open Hills, LA 2008 Angels Share, Kuhnhenn Rasp Eisbock, Deschutes Black Butte XX, Peche n Brett, Beatification B5, Ule Oatmeal Stout
    Bottom: Black Metal, TG Dorothy's Lager, Super Brew 15, 2008 KBS, Big John, Paradise by the Dashboard Lights, Mikkeller It's Alright, De Struise 2008 Earthmonk-Aardamonk, 2011 Brandy Eclipse, Big Bad Baptist
    Not Pictured: RR Temptation, LA 2009 Red Poppy
    Stevedore likes this.
  38. Agreed. Also seems to not hate his job, unlike the other Woodman's liquor employees I've run into.
  39. Doom is here :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.