1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $14.99 (US/print only). Offer ends April 30. Subscribe now! (Because great beer deserves great stories AND readers.)

Tastings near Peoria/Bloomington

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by BobSmooth, Jan 22, 2013.

1. BobSmooth

BobSmooth Initiate (0) Illinois Dec 19, 2009

Anyone in the Peoria or Bloomington area running any tastings? I've been to a few in the area but they've since dried up. I've held some private ones with just friends but they aren't into the scene as much as I am and they don't really bring much to the table. While I enjoy sharing great beer it seems as if it's almost wasted or could be of more value to those who fully appreciate it.

beerepiphany likes this.
  2. I am from Peoria and would love to participate if/when tastings become more common in our area. A couple of my close friends are into craft beer, but not nearly the level I am (i.e. they're not obsessed like I am). So, aside from friends I've introduced to beer I dont get to hang with other BAs from the area.

3. match1112

match1112 Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 2, 2011

I was wondering what happened to Phineas Gage and the tastings at Kellehers. Didn't know if Kellehers shut them down because of the amount of beer we were bringin in or what. I would also be down for some periodic tastings if someone threw something together.

4. BobSmooth

Phineas moved back home to work for the family business :(

Good for him but bad for the beer scene heh

5. BobSmooth

I heard his right hand man Taylor? moved up north for school too.

6. woodchopper

woodchopper Savant (365) Illinois Jul 31, 2010

if your up for a road trip to the quad cities i do tasting every other month. Bm me for details :)
    yes Andrew is up in Dubuque working with family

GraniteSkunk likes this.
  7. Beezee

Beezee Savant (340) Illinois Jan 29, 2010

I'm down but I have a busy schedule. Always looking for local trading buddies

match1112 likes this.
  8. I still can't understand the lack of the craft beer community in Peoria. We can't even get a darn brewery (besides Rhodell, which barely makes par IMO).

forrestbetts and match1112 like this.
  9. alcstradamus

alcstradamus Savant (405) Iowa Aug 10, 2008

I will be moving to Peoria very soon. I don't have much to share other than lambic. Hope everyone likes lambic.

clarkw42, match1112 and beerepiphany like this.
  10. I live in Bloomington and would participate in local tastings. I know of at least 1 other person that lives here that would also participate.

match1112 and beerepiphany like this.
  11. jdrum

jdrum Aficionado (130) Illinois Oct 4, 2010

i would certainly be down with getting involved in some tastings. i dont have anything crazy but i like sharing

match1112 likes this.
  12. match1112

Everytime I stop in Kellehers It is packed wall to wall with suits drinkin Lite beer. More Loon Classic for me, their loss!

beerepiphany likes this.
  13. match1112

Was he the tall skinny kid?

14. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Whut

[​IMG]
    Y u no stay in QC?

15. GraniteSkunk

Fair warning - Woodchopper gets pretty "handsy" after a few beers.

woodchopper likes this.
  16. woodchopper

i see the self portrait and all the dental work is paying off..... looking good there pumpkin
    :)

17. GraniteSkunk

I don't think you like me anymore, since I'm not one of the cool kids :(

18. woodchopper

I thought that picture was taken after the 2 bottles of voodoo maple bacon donut Porter from Rogue......
    you will always be 1 of the cool kids just can't believe you don't like sours... lol and yes sometimes I get a little huggy big guy.....

19. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

PhineasGage is one of the more generous dudes around. Now I have no reason to visit that area again.

Except maaaaaybe the Kappa Kabanna.

match1112 and GraniteSkunk like this.
  20. alcstradamus

Wife took a job in Peoria. I will still be in the Quad Cities on Monday and Tuesdays for work, but I get to work from home the rest of the week :)

woodchopper and GraniteSkunk like this.
  21. GraniteSkunk

Good for you, man. That kicks ass! Just don't get shot, stabbed, and violated in Peoria.

22. GraniteSkunk

Last time I was at the Kappa, a gal took my friend's glasses off and hung them from a piercing that was south of the border.

23. woodchopper

i am sure phineasGage will be making some more stops at my place now too maybe a little party here or there.... and i can bring him to some more beer releases too maybe:)

24. GraniteSkunk

Hey, I had two pours of St Lamvinus, and I loved Rueuze

25. alcstradamus

Just signed my lease for my apartment in Dunlap. Anyone live nearby?

beerepiphany likes this.
  26. match1112

not me, but i do work a lot in peoria.

27. Yessir. Live and work in Peoria. The Fox Pub and Cafe and Kelleher's are your go-to beer joints in town.

28. Jips

Jips Savant (365) Kansas Nov 29, 2007

Hit my brother Mdunk up, he has too many big stouts going undrunken.
    Btw the Fox pub off Pioneer is turning to an alright beer stop, probably still has bourbon county on draft and it gets Perenial and Schlafly rarities.

29. clarkw42

clarkw42 Aficionado (195) Illinois May 10, 2009

The tastings at Kellehers went away when Andrew did. It always was and still is a place that welcomes any group that wants to do a beer share. Just organize and get in touch with me or Billy at Kellehers and its done. Looking forward to the next one if anyone has time to do it.

BTW, Feb. 16th is a Barrel Aged Event there. Several really nice beers will be available on draft and in bottles. A couple that have never been in Peoria before.

NotPhineasGage likes this.
  30. clarkw42

Dunlap is a nice area, but alas, not a whole lot close to you in terms of a beer bar. Old Chicago does a pretty good job and will have the best selection in that area. The Fox isn't too far away though.

31. match1112

Whatcha got lined up?

32. I knew about the Bells/Hopslam event on the 7th, but I hadn't heard about this. Whats on the list? :)

33. alcstradamus

I will be bumping this thread and trying to organize something once I finally get completely moved, it wont be for a couple weeks though

clarkw42 and match1112 like this.
  34. alcstradamus

I'm not concerned that I have to drive a ways for beer, I really dont drink that much anymore. I am much more saddened by the fact that I am 20 minutes from the nearest disc golf course :(

Here in Davenport I have like 8 courses within that drive time. I disc golf every day in the better weather, so I'm going to have to figure something else out to get my practice in

35. clarkw42

A short list is posted on the event page here on BA. February 16th. Sorry I don't know how to transfer to the forum page. A couple of gems though, BCBCS and Black Note amongst many others. If you guys go, look for a tall, slightly balding guy. Thats me and I would be honored to meet some BAs at the event.

match1112 and beerepiphany like this.
  36. clarkw42

Ya there are not a whole lot of golfers here. The course at Bradley Park is pretty decent from what I've heard. Took my dog to that area a couple weeks ago and it was pretty busy despite the temps. There is a tournament every year sponsored by a local college bar, not sure on the date though.

37. Thats a great lineup as far as I'm concerned. I missed my chance to try Cherry Rye at FOBAB. Maybe this will be my shot! I hadn't heard about this event until this thread.

match1112 likes this.
  38. BobSmooth

Damn I'm going to miss the 16th! Going to be just getting back from a trip.

I've played countless rounds at the course in McNaughton Park in Pekin. One of my favorites but I haven't played many places.

39. Auracom

Auracom Savant (310) Illinois Nov 5, 2010

clark - thanks for the head's up on Kelleher's. Will be visiting family in Peoria that weekend and will likely stop in that night.

clarkw42 likes this.
  40. clarkw42

Please introduce yourself. Gonna be a helluva night.