1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tears in my beer... Tales of bottle accidents

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shangwang, Dec 2, 2012.

1. So about an hour ago I grabbed a bottle from my cellar (as is my Sunday custom). I decided on a 2008 Goose Island Sofie, which I've been hanging on to for quite a while. As I was about to head upstairs I noticed there was a load of laundry that was ready come up as well. In an effort to give my wife a hand (silly me) I grabbed it, along with the Sofie and headed back upstairs. As I walked into the kitchen, arms full, I attempted to place the bottle on my countertop. Epic fail. I managed to smash it off of the side of the granite counter, soaking my cabinets, previously clean laundry, and myself in vintage Sofie. I'd appreciate hearing of your mishandled bottle misfortunes as I drown my sorrows (and wash my clothes).

2. Bought 2 growlers of IPA at a local brew pub. Put them in a cooler with ice. As I wrestled the cooler into the car, I dropped one side and crash. Luckily only one of the growlers broke. I dipped some out before it was totally diluted with the ice and had a drink in the parking lot.

3. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Beer + football= win
    Beer + laundry= this post

Sorry OP

Sludgeman and Beerontwowheels like this.
  4. Totally deserved. But with the season my Eagles are having, watching football has become an activity that makes me purposely want to smash bottles.

Dtrain4, ckobes, TravisR and 7 others like this.
  5. My basement flooded due to a failed sump pump. My wife without thinking tried to move some of my cellared beers from the flooded area to one of the areas that was still dry. Well the problem lied in that the beers were stored in 6-pack holders and were bombers, which had stretched the cardboard holders . . . well the wet cardboard didn't hold up to the weight and the bottles came crashing down breaking against the concrete floor. Forget the bottles I lost, as I'd like to believe that my mind in an act of kindness has put it out of memory.

6. beerpadawan

beerpadawan Savant (380) California Aug 12, 2007

Bought suitcase at WI thrift store (Lady Baltimore) specifically to transport home some New Glarus and assorted goodies (also went to Delaware that trip); preparing to click open case upon return home, telltale aroma of sweet/tart cherries. Luckily, the Raspberry Tart survived (and was delicious).

7. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

Totally spilled my snifter of Backwoods the other night over the rug that really ties the room together.

bum732, Durb777, ediaz and 22 others like this.
  8. blackcompg

blackcompg Savant (325) Illinois Feb 13, 2011

I broke a year old bottle of Czar cleaning my garage...but for a short time, my garage smelled good enough to drink.

9. Samjuan12

Samjuan12 Aficionado (235) Illinois Jun 17, 2012

carrying a case of Rye'da tiger from the car to the house, handle ripped out and the box was dropped..... thankfully only 4 broke and not the entire box

10. SeaOfShells

SeaOfShells Savant (350) California Feb 22, 2011

In March we drove from L.A. to San Diego to attend the Churchill's 3rd (or 4th) Anniversary event. Lost Abbey/Port brews an exclusive beer for their events called Churchill's Finest Hour (BBA Serpent's Stout/Older Viscosity blend). The bottles are 22oz with a wax seal. We had been drinking all day, and when we finally got back to my buddies at about 10PM, I deliriously grabbed my $25 bottle, it slipped from my hand and crashed on the sidewalk. It didn't break, but the wax broke and the bottle cap came slightly ajar and was misting beer everywhere. I didn't even bother to pick it up. I got in my own car which was parked there, and drove home.

11. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Bought three bottles of De Cam Framboise when visiting the blender three weeks ago. They gave me a shitty little paper bag and the bottom ripped out when I was standing in the subway station. A bottle fell out, but thankfully didn't break. The cage broke free from the cork and we opened it at a nearby bar because I didn't want to risk carrying it around in my backpack which was already full of beer from shopping earlier that day. When we were taking it out, it turns out that cork was in there as solid as anything, so all that fuss was for nothing.

But hey, still an awesome lambic. Guess that's never a loss.

WassailWilly likes this.
  12. gcamparone likes this.
  13. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

I remember a story about a year ago of someone's cellar collapsing (I believe it was at their parents house but don't quote me on that) and they lost a Wooden Hell in the process

14. Fujii13

Fujii13 Savant (250) New York Apr 27, 2011

Traveled about an hour out of my way for some CBS (which at the time seemed like a long distance for beer, but given how often I make the 4 hour trip to HF these days, and 4 hours to Portland for Zwanze Day this weekend it isn't really that bad). Brought a friend to tag along since it was a one bottle limit. The plan was to drink one bottle and age the other.

When we got back, I had the dog in one hand, the beer in bags in the other, while trying to unlock my front door. One of the bags slipped with the bottle smashing into my front steps and leaking CBS all over it. I somehow resisted the urge to lap up the remains. The surviving bottle didn't get opened until about a year later on my 30th birthday.

15. Fallen whales.

16. mynie

mynie Advocate (695) Massachusetts Jun 22, 2004

Three Cigar city 32 oz growlers. I tore ass to the FedEx truckyard on the outskirts of town and got there minutes before closing just so I could have them during the weekend. I was so excited for making it there on time that I tossed them into the back seat, where the box landed just perfectly awkwardly on a dumb bell and the crash was like smashing of a heart.

17. gtermi

gtermi Champion (750) Texas Apr 21, 2010

The other day I brought home a Best By 12.21.12 and for some reason the cap was loose and half the beer spilled out in my car... Pretty damn good beer though, sure wish I could have had the whole bottle

18. My one and only bottle drop was an '08 Avery Beast over this past summer. It sucked, but seeing some of the others makes me feel relief that it wasn't one of those.

19. aljordan

aljordan Aficionado (145) Indiana May 2, 2006

A Stone 12th anniversary. It slipped out from under my arm and crashes to the tile floor below. It was a sad day, indeed.

20. draheim

draheim Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 18, 2010

Not exactly a bottle accident, but last night I was drinking a bottle of Fruet and watching The Dark Knight (per this post). I was taking a sip from my Spiegelau tulip right when the dead impostor Batman slams into the mayor's window. Well, I haven't seen this movie in years, so I jumped in my seat with surprise—spilling about $2 worth of Fruet all over my sweatshirt and getting a little on the sofa.

The other $30 of Fruet was totally worth it.

MetalMountainMastiff and mocktm like this.
  21. A SN Narwhal bottle fell out of my laundry basket as I was taking it out of my car the other night. I will have to say that the sidewalk smelled delicious for the next few minutes. Another time, a Karmeliet triple ripped through a paper bag and exploded on the pavement five minutes after I bought it in the store parking lot. As careful as I am, this happens less that once a year.

22. Drucifer

Drucifer Savant (465) Illinois Apr 16, 2012

Went to Darkness Day this year and had one bad memory. When we got there we had to unload the car and carry all of our stuff to the back of the line. Of course I had to follow man law # whatever (usually applies to groceries) and make sure we could carry everything in one trip. Unfortunately a New Glarus Serendipity suffered the consequences by shattering all over the road. I still to this day have not been abe to try that beer. (My own fault as I am one hour from WI)

23. dianimal

dianimal Savant (455) California Apr 18, 2012

Wring the beer out of the laundry and into a glass, and grab a straw to suck up whatever hit the floor...

24. Jules11788

Jules11788 Savant (390) California Feb 15, 2011

I bought a bottle of the BBA Genesis from Schmaltz, and the person from the coop put it straight into a paper bag from the cooler. On the walk home the bottle began to sweat and got the bag wet, and when I was about 15 feet from my door the bottle tore through the bottom of the bag and shattered on the ground. So I go back to the coop and tell them what happened and they say I can just grab another bottle. Except there weren't anymore left, and that was the only store that had them. I still haven't been able to find another one to this day

25. arintheelder

arintheelder Zealot (75) California Nov 14, 2008

I bought a bottle of batch 1 consecration last year from this shop about 30 miles from my house. Had plans to age it for a long time...i set it on a shelf in my kitchen while i did some housework...about 20 minutes later i heard a loud POP. The cork had blown. So i had to drink it right then and there.....i've never been so sad drinking a batch one of something.

26. mcrago

mcrago Savant (355) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Personally, I did not care for this beer...

27. I shared a bottle of Bolt Cutter with my girlfriend the other night. She kicked over my snifter and it spilled something like 13 oz all over the rug and hardwood floors. Was tempted to start this thread then.

kylelenk likes this.
  28. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (655) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I don't think anything beats Heatwave33's handful of AB Huna grenades.

codysjb and semibaked like this.
  29. A friend of a friend of mine had a bottle of Coast Old Nuptual Barleywine knocked off her kitchen counter by her cat not 5 minutes after returning from CBX with it.

30. Went to my neighbors haloween party this year. Had never been inside and within 10 steps my oaked aged arrogant bastard slipped out of my pocket and busted on their floor splattering everyone. Party went great, haven't been back since.

31. dbfp210

dbfp210 Savant (350) Pennsylvania Jun 27, 2012

Spilled a glass full of Choklat all over the carpet a few days ago. Not a huge loss but my girlfriend was pissed lol. Thank god for Oxiclean!

32. Had a one-off Black Sheep (my favorite all-time brewery) Imperial Russian Stout in my suitcase, coming back from England. Wrapped in bubble-wrap and wrapped in socks, underwear, etc in my suitcase. Every other beer I brought home in that suitcase survived. The stout did not :*(

33. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (625) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

Where do you do laundry? Sounds way more fun than where I do laundry :)

Dtrain4 and ediaz like this.
  34. shawnp

shawnp Savant (455) Minnesota Jan 15, 2010

I broke a bottle of Darkness '12 last week while walking out to my truck. Yup, slipped out of my hand and it felt like my life was in slow motion......smash! Darkity goodness all over my driveway. It was dark outside so I did not get pictures but I still have the broken glass for some reason.

35. Poor guy...

AxesandAnchors likes this.
  36. Monsone

Monsone Savant (350) Illinois Jun 5, 2006

This thread reminds me of all the people that drop their dark lord (every year). Priceless was the one who dropped his barrel aged bottle. The horror of it all. Of course this also allowed the moron to lap some up out of a dirty parking lot puddle filled with broken glass.

codysjb, Mgm54 and Pecan like this.
  37. Demer

Demer Aficionado (225) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Barrel aged Speedway got caught on the shipper as I was taking it out. I still dont know how but it fell and broke and my cellar forever smells like BA Speedway now.

38. I feel your pain as an Eagles fan.
    To make matters worse, I missed on on Bryce Brown in FF waiver claims after Shady went down :(

Back on topic, the beer fouls up in this thread are simultaneously hilarious & tragic.

shangwang likes this.
  39. I hear ya, dude.

40. mpayne5

mpayne5 Advocate (555) Indiana Aug 18, 2011

Was about to pour a BCBS into a glass at the computer desk, but set the bottle down on the side of a CD case accidentally and the entire bottle poured into my computer tower.

theCoder likes this.