1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tears in my beer... Tales of bottle accidents

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by shangwang, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jlenik

jlenik Savant (435) New Jersey Jan 22, 2009

Stepped on and broke my Cantillon tulip =/
  2. Was heading into my friends house for our annual stout tasting. In attempt to save me a second trip to my car, I tried to carry in a growler of homebrew, a Black Tuesday and an Abduction Imp. Stout along with a couple glasses. A bottle slipped out of my hands and luckily it wasn't the Black Tuesday. Epic fail, but it could have been much worse.
  3. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Well this isn't really a bottle accident per say, but on Friday I visited some friends in Philly, and after I got off the subway I took a walk down to Ultimo/Brew, an awesome bottle shop in south Philly, to get a mixed 6. I put down my first Backwoods Bastard of the year, and a couple other brews, but also picked up a DfH Olde School (which was seven bucks) and my first Brown Sugga of the year and left them there! 5 people live in this house and although only 2 of them are into craft beer, their one roommate who they found on Craigslist is notorious for drinking people's beer. I texted 2 of my friends living in the house to hide them in their closet, lol. Hopefully they followed through, or someone is going to be getting yelled at by me and then forking me over some cash.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  4. After having read through all of these responses to my OP, I feel better and worse all at once...
  5. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

I rarely mishandle bottles but when I do they are empty ...

:cool:
    Onizilla and Mgm54 like this.
  6. Mine is a little different. I work at a beer and wine store and I've accidentally broke some stuff. Not long after I first started I bumped into and knocked a bottle of Brux off a display which caused it to break. Last week I was wheeling a few cases of Celebration and bumped into a holiday beer display and knocked off and broke a bottle of Affligem Christmas beer. Oh, and a case of Sam Adams Oktoberfest ripped at the hand hole and fell and broke. I've also had a few cases of BMC and Heinekin break in various ways on me but I could care less about those.
  7. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

The title of this thread would be better if it rhymed.
    mikeburd1128, Mgm54 and kojevergas like this.
  8. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Jason you can go to this site called Meme generator and say the same thing but way funnier. I fixed that one for you, but next time i wont be free. :)
    lurchingbeast likes this.
  9. Jason

Jason Founder (1,300) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

mikeburd1128 likes this.
  10. Dog jumped up on my lady and caused her to spill a portion of her Lou Pepe Kriek. Sad moment.

This is more of a loss than an accident, but still I figure it still counts as a bad day in beer. Was keeping a cellar at my parents while movin to a new city. Teenage friend of family member decides to plunder said cellar in my abscence. Losses include a 2011 Brandy Vanilla Dark Lord and a first run of Saison du Swamp. Was not too happy when I realized what had happened.
  11. chumsnards666

chumsnards666 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2012

Before I began utilizing BA, I was shopping at the local store for a good IPA. After browsing around for 15 or so minutes, I chanced upon a 4 pack of Pearl Street's Dankenstein. I get home and open one up only to taste the shittiest beer I have ever had. I dumped the remaining ones out in the yard as I did not want to put my sink through the same misery I had just went through. Now I have a dead spot in the yard.
  12. I dropped a bottle of BA imperial stout trooper and it exploded everywhere. Went off like a grenade, it did. #IST #bummer
    Torieos likes this.
  13. luwak

luwak Savant (305) Arizona Mar 2, 2010

Fed ex broke a 2008 Avery Mephistopheles and 2010 port Oak Aged Santa's Little Helper that i was sending to my friend last week
    Id have added this to one for those shipping threads but i think it my packing that did it. I tried to cram too many extras in the box like a dumbass and i paid for it...The box was soaked, repacked and they actually delivered it but its probably totally my fault.
  14. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Illinois Nov 23, 2010

Good heavens. I hope you gave that young adult a stern talking to.
  15. assman79

assman79 Savant (430) Wisconsin May 30, 2009

Bomber of Sublimely Self Righteous. Not that big of a deal compared to the CBS snifter the better half broke.
  16. About a month ago I brought a bottle of Stone Wall Ale to a Stone Beer Dinner that Sir Greg Koch was going to be at. I got him to sign the bottle, and on the bottle he wrote "Seriously, what the hell are you waiting for? Cheers." and then signed under that. So we opened it and drank it together with 9 other people. When
    I got home I rinsed the bottler out and the water washed most of the silver Sharpie off the outside of the bottle.... my heart sank. All that is left are a few silver flakes and his signature.
    MikeEhrmantraut and teorn88 like this.
  17. Omensetter

Omensetter Savant (270) Minnesota Nov 24, 2012

Besides once dropping a just-purchased fifth of Johnnie Walker Black in a parking lot, I'd never had a notable bottle accident until last night: Brought a bottle of BCBCS to a holiday party and stuck it in the fridge. A little while later I was sitting in the living room when I heard something smash in the kitchen, followed by a lot of horrified whispering. Of course.

[​IMG]
  18. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

A bottle of Curmudgeon's Better Half fell out of my backpack while trying to put a bunch of stuff in my car in the Founder's parking lot. It was only a two foot drop and the bottle was completely smashed.

I also had a bottle of Dark Lord '12 fall out of my backpack and part of the cap got dented, causing some of the carbonation to dissipate out of the bottle. I took it home and re-capped it. Opened it 6 months later and it still had plenty of carbonation and tasted fine.
  19. So my girlfriends Dad has pretty solid taste but never has strayed too far from more regional and local brews which in Wisconsin with the likes of LakeFront and New Glarus is pretty good. Im from the Boston area I bring back some different brews for him to try.

I also homebrew and while Im no expert I have produced some pretty well received beers. My gf's brother was graduating highschool and they were having a big family party and he had always wanted to try some of my home brew so I brought a farmhouse and a triple I did.

They were solid bottle conditioned beers. All I had left was 4 larger bottles that had been in a closet in my apartment with alot of temp variation. At the party that distant relatives grandparents and a bunch of aunts and uncles were at we were going to try the beer. I was nervous anyway because most were BMC drinkers and a good 7-10 people wanted a sample. Opened the farmhouse and foam rose up ever so slightly and a very small amount trickled down the bottle NBD just let it sit for a min. Well when I opened the triple foam started pouring out at a pretty good clip so stupidly I put my mouth over the neck just to stop the flow and not make a mess of the place. My cheeks started to fill with beer and it was obvious I wouldn't be able to hold in. I tried to get over to the sink but when I lifted my head up it just sprayed out of my mouth all over her dad and caused and even bigger mess.
    Luckily everyone including her had thought it was really funny and all I suffered was extreme embarrassment and a few lost home-brews. Important lesson I learned when bottle carbonating with high sugar beers test a beer every week to know for sure when the C02 creation has essentially stopped. I gave the beer high marks in head retention but mouth feel left alot to be desired
    Pecan and shangwang like this.
  20. oldedog

oldedog Savant (310) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

I dropped a 4 pack of palo santo only 1 survived oh so sad
  21. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

As far as most beers are concerned, its a hell of a lot better on tap! When I visit PSB thats usually what I'm getting. I have had it from the bottle and it's something completely different (more like a cleaning solvent than a beer). I also think its mislabeled as a IIPA...more like and American Strong...but if you ever have the chance to get it on tap, giver another shot.
  22. wiscokid920

wiscokid920 Savant (370) Maryland Apr 27, 2011

If you ask me, all the Heinekens should be smashed. Nasty skunk water!
  23. searsclone

searsclone Savant (315) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

bottles topples and other reasons beers cause tears ?
  24. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (550) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

I havent had any myself so far. But I've heard too many stories of people dropping their bottles of dark lord on DLD. One guy even sipped dark lord right out of the street after dropping his. You. Don't. Waste. Dark Lord.
  25. When Cafe Royale was first release, the wife and I happened to be in Williamsburg and swung by Alewerks to grab a couple of autographed bottles (signed by the head brewer). As I was carrying the sack into the house, it ripped and one of those rarities bit the dust. The upside here is that the garage smelled absolutely glorious for the next couple of days.
  26. Yes, Brown Shugga killed my laptop. Not to mention it was top of the line for the first time in my life.
  27. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I found a 2011 Bigfoot at a liquor store a few weeks ago. Then on New Years I was about to celebrate with my girlfriend by sharing my bottle with her. She went in to grab a different beer out, and accidentally knocked it out (in her defense, it was put in a very questionable and dangerous position in the fridge.) I'm still broken up about it. On the bright side, my story isn't nearly as sad as a lot of the other tales in this thread.
  28. I dropped a black magick in my cellar over a year ago when I also had my hands full. It sucked losing it and the cleanup sucked just as much. Really wish I had that bad boy right now. Lesson learned, don't handle your cellar with full hands.
  29. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I dropped a 40 walking out of 7-11 one night and yelled "FUMBLE!!!"

Also dropped a couple Golden Monkeys in the driveway...nothing too tough to replace thus far...thankfully.
    fujindemon74 likes this.
  30. I guess those monkeys don't fly.
  31. poured a glass of ska euphoria, the only one i bought for the year(i really enjoy this beer) went to set it down and turn on the tv instantly poured it all over my floor, too late to go back to my work and get more. sadly havent been able to procure any since :(

i mean its not too big of a loss at all but i was really looking forward to drinking it at the time
  32. Dropped 1/3 of a bottle of Old E on the street one time while pimp slapping some punk who strolled into my hood........
    Onizilla likes this.
  33. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Ontario (Canada) Jul 24, 2012

Lost an Arcadia Cereal killer on my driveway back in October or so. Hadn't seen it back in the bottle shop since.... until yesterday. ;) Now if I could only get the BA CK.
  34. That just sucks !!
    On SO many levels !!!
  35. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

GI Sophie was first brewed in '09.

Matilda maybe?
  36. theCoder

theCoder Savant (320) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

My only real accident was more as I had never realized to make sure growlers stay cool. Had I think it was a saison or some sort of belgian from Fitgers, got home all was still fine, put it in the cellar still fine. Just shy of a week later when prepping to go to the cabin for the week of the 4th of July I set it on the floor in the kitchen while I pack the truck and hadn't packed the cooler yet. I'm in the living room chatting with my cousin who's going with us and I hear a weird pop. Walk into the kitchen to see a full 64 oz of what I was imagining delicious beer all over the floor. So our leaving was delayed, shoulda been a sign. On our way up a HUGE storm rolled in, over/through us. 100+mph straight lined winds, took down billboards and trees while we were driving 5mph. Took over 6 hours for a 2 hour trip due to downed trees everywhere, had to offroad it to get around them and continued rain/storm and such.

One other instance but it was an immaculate save. Just this past Nov I stumbled across a Cocoa Oak Aged Yeti at a liquor store. Having never tried it I picked it up. The employee put it in a paper bag, went to hand it to me and the bottom gave out, he snapped his other hand over and caught it before it crashed to the floor. It was amazing, I should have thrown the guy a couple bux just cause.
  37. AxesandAnchors

AxesandAnchors Savant (300) Oregon Nov 21, 2012

So you're saying it smells delicious...expensive air freshener.
  38. penniwisdom

penniwisdom Initiate (0) California Sep 10, 2010

After leaving Toronado with a buddy about 3 years ago and several drinks deep he dropped a bottle of T20 that they gave him. Bad day.
  39. BeastLU

BeastLU Advocate (520) Virginia Dec 20, 2012

You leave beer you loose beer. Even if we were great friends. chalk that up as a loss.
  40. cjoc83

cjoc83 Savant (470) Pennsylvania Jul 31, 2010

Actually, my friend Meghan put it in her room, and I picked it up the next weekend. Drank it a few weeks ago (and loved it. Don't understand the people that hate on that stuff). I have faith in my friends, and they came through!
    shangwang likes this.