1. American Craft Beer Fest returns to Boston on May 29 & 30, featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers. Tickets are on sale now.

Temperature Control

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by bonercity, Jan 23, 2013.

1. From reading some threads on here it seems that the optimal "cellar temp" is somewhere above "fridge" and a bit cooler than "room." Here is my problem: I live in a poorly insulated apartment (over 100 years old) that is pretty much at the whim of mother nature. During the summer it is sweltering and during the winter it's cold.

My current plan is store beers in the fridge during the hot months, and then in a closed cabinet during the winter. How does that sound to you experts out there?

2. If you have the fridge space just keep your beer there 365, temp. consistency is generally more important than the temp. itself, IMHO.

3. Thanks for the feedback

4. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Savant (390) Nebraska Sep 24, 2012

I think what we really need to talk about here is that Dopesmoker artwork. Sweet reissue.

bonercity, surlytheduff and mattafett like this.
  5. beerinmaine

beerinmaine Aficionado (225) Maine Jun 20, 2009

I'd go with the fridge here, full time, since the room is not cellar-suitable temperatures. Some people are more picky about temperature than others, but sweltering is definitely no good, and even a winter room temperature on the cooler side of things (60's?) is a little warm to be ideal.

6. vthippie

vthippie Aficionado (190) Vermont Dec 18, 2012

This will soon be my struggle, currently have a perfect cellar in my apt but will be buying a condo with nothing but a closet to work with, probably got about a dozen bombers and 2 cases of 12ozers and growing. Thinking 1st floor interior closet but I don't know, stash is too big for fridge and would need something bigger than just a college fridge to accommodate.

Anyone with closet cellar experience? Most stuff isn't going more than 1-2 years except maybe a random bottle or 2 to build a vert (various RIS, Palo Santo Maroon) a few things that are just waiting for my wife's, er..."condition" to run it's course so we can enjoy together which will be late July (victory at sea, Old Rasputin XV, 50/50 Old Fitz) but I do have a number of Bolt Cutters, Double Bastard, Olde School and some other Barleywines that I would like to lay down for 3-5+ year range and THAT is where I am really getting concerned.

7. GCurlow

GCurlow Aficionado (215) Washington Oct 13, 2005

To the OP, it's quite simple. Don't 'store/age' beer. Putting beer in a fridge and opening/closing the fridge several times a day will shine light on your bottles creating a higher chance of skunking your beer. Plus it's too damn cold to create a cellar-like environment.

What's the point of investing money into stored beer if it's not going to be cared for correctly?

Just drink what's fresh and available. Trade for cellared beer from a legit source.

Just my $.02.

crushedvol likes this.
  8. I'm not actively "aging" beer so much as I am slow at drinking it. There are some beers that pop up not too often, so when I see them I buy a few of them. Since the urge to drink a Belgian Quad only arises every once in a while, I tend to hold on to these bottles for an extended period of time.

9. What I would do is follow your first plan for the stuff you're only looking to age 1-2 years and get a small fridge with temp controller for the rest. That's what I do and I haven't noticed many problems.