1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ten FIDY vs. Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, Dec 9, 2012.

1. mcrago

mcrago Savant (335) Indiana Oct 6, 2012

Well, which is it? Trying Ten FIDY this afternoon for the first time. Going to try to honest evaluate it versus Breakfast Stout. What's your opinion?
  2. Breakfast Stout. I wish I could get it here.
  3. buffs9

buffs9 Savant (450) Colorado Apr 28, 2008

Totally different beers, both of which are delicious.
    oldedog, jtdolla911, JMBSH and 31 others like this.
  4. raly03

raly03 Aficionado (100) Illinois Aug 3, 2011

Ten Fidy straight from the can wins ;)
    I actually might do a side-by-side later tonight. Thanks for the idea.
    ChanChan and AHood like this.
  5. I would take FBS any day and twice on Sundays over FIDY. But, that's just like my opinion man.
    RobertColianni, rjknyy, KYzac and 5 others like this.
  6. Ravenacht

Ravenacht Advocate (510) Florida Aug 10, 2012

too close to call.. send all unopened cans and bottles to me and i will re-evaluate.
    TWStandley, AHood and mcrago like this.
  7. mtbdonn

mtbdonn Savant (400) Colorado Dec 15, 2009

It's going to come down to personal preference. Both great, but I prefer the Fidy. First can beer I've had in years!
  8. chanokokoro

chanokokoro Advocate (590) Illinois Jan 31, 2012

What's better apples or oranges? They're both fruit. :confused:

Yet another completely worthless "vs." thread. :oops:

They're both delicious and completely different.
  9. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Savant (445) Ohio Nov 15, 2009

I'd say it depends on how much you like coffee in your stout. Breakfast Stout is VERY coffee-forward, whereas Ten Fidy is much more on the chocolate end of things. Also, Breakfast Stout is a couple of bucks cheaper per 4-pack.

I love them both, and Breakfast Stout is perfect when I'm in the mood for a coffee bomb, but I'd say Ten Fidy hits the spot more often.
  10. szmnnl99

szmnnl99 Advocate (650) Michigan Apr 3, 2006

It seems like it would be better to ignore it (have it drop on the board) or explain the differences in a constructive manner. ;)
  11. chanokokoro

If only there was place on this site where people share their impressions of specific beers and describe each brew's characterisitics in detail...Now, that would be great!! People wouldn't have to clutter the forums with 20 threads like this one everyday....:rolleyes:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28907/34483

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/11757
  12. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Easy choice for me on Ten FIDY, but I don't like huge coffee flavor in my beers, so I am biased.
  13. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

14. mcrago

Sure it is. Screw these guys bitching that it's apples versus oranges. It's stout versus stout! Sure, one's an imperial and the other is an oatmeal, but the question is regarding personal preference. Don't like it? Don't post!
  15. tkarsies

tkarsies Savant (250) Ohio Dec 27, 2005

Just getting Ten Fidy in Ohio. First chance to try last week. If you are shooting for a coffee stout, FBS is definitely a go-to. Holds up pretty well to aging for at least a year or so. Ten Fidy is definitely more of a classic impy stout...more along the lines of Stone IRS. I have been drinking FBS for awhile and it is one of my favorites; would give it a bit of an edge if just for familiarity. Both are fantastic, though, and should be on any stout lover's list of beers to drink.
  16. bdonley5

bdonley5 Aficionado (240) Michigan Dec 30, 2011

FBS all the way for me! Its my go to beer.
    BrownAleMale likes this.
  17. Both are phenominal beers, but if I'm at the beer store and only have the money to buy one or the other, it's FBS every time
    Blueribbon666 and mcrago like this.
  18. chanokokoro

Wow, OP, getting a bit hot about this aren't you? This is exactly what I was getting at earlier: stout vs. stout? Ten Fidy and FBS are two completely different styles of stouts with completely different ingredients. I doubt you'd compare a marzen with a pilsener even though they are both lagers.

All I'm trying to get at is that these types of threads are pointless. They all eventually devolve into inane banter and/or a debate over which brew is "better." Then the thread gets locked. All you're going to get is a bunch of subjective feedback; you know your own preferences best. The point of having a review section on this site is to provide a place for people to look up different brews. Use it as a resource. You can discover the characteristics of different beers and then match some up with your preferences and make your own decision. The information you're looking for already exists and it's most likely much more detailed than anything you'll get from this thread. Just spend a few minutes looking at the reviews.
    mackeyse and tharreld like this.
  19. If we're going for the chocolate taste, I'd say Narwhal is better than Fidy. I've never had a beer that had that strong bakers chocolate taste. Now a better comparison would be espresso Yeti vs. FBS. Which do you guys prefer?
  20. mcrago

According to Chanokokoro, we're all just wasting our time...
    BillyCannon likes this.
  21. Who cares about Chanokokoro.
  22. Coffee oatmeal stout vs a Russian Imperial stout very different beers in many ways. But in the end I enjoy FBS more that Fidy
  23. I just don't understand why there is ALWAYS someone taking/wasting time out of their life to bitch about something that no one asked them to bitch about (yes, I'm currently bitching).
    If you don't like the topic after the first few posts, just move on to another site (I like the topic).
    It's so easy.

I like reading other people's subjective opinions on TASTE.
    either answer or ignore, hey seuss christ.

that being said...Ten Fidy...never caught obsession with FBS.
    that ALSO being said, if anyone wants to trade FBS for some CCB, let me know.
    we get plenty here.
  24. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Never tried either but I have some Ten Fidy waiting for me at home when I come back to the states. Looking forward to trying it.
  25. Both Great Beers, but different. I like coffee so I'd say Breakfast Stout. Plus it also depends on buying. 4 packs of Breakfast Stout are about $5 cheaper around me than 4 packs of Ten Fidy, so I guess it depends who's buying too.
  26. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (770) Florida Feb 1, 2012

27. I agree. I prefer my imperial stouts without adjuncts like coffee and choclate
  28. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

Espresso Yeti is So much better than FBS, I dont even... Theres no way! :)
  29. Gannon81

Gannon81 Aficionado (185) Oregon Jan 5, 2012

What? No Blackout Stout enters the mix? That shit rules.
  30. zach60614

zach60614 Savant (265) Illinois May 1, 2012

Have you had Samuel Smith Organic Chocolate Stout?
    If not, I would recommend.
    Talk about a strong baker's chocolate taste...
    RobertColianni and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  31. Ten Fidy by a tiny margin.
  32. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

If I drank one right after the other, my answer would change with each consecutive glass.
  33. FBS for me
    Plus it has a baby on the label. That really bothers my wife. So it is a plus.

Ten fidy is great though
    climbeer07 and fauxpunker like this.
  34. fauxpunker

fauxpunker Aficionado (165) Nov 23, 2012

To be fair, that baby is kinda creepy.
    abraxel likes this.
  35. redlegacy

redlegacy Aficionado (100) New York Mar 22, 2012

Breakfast stout
  36. No contest baby! FBS all the way.
    SenorHops likes this.
  37. Lemme see. 10-12 bucks for 22 oz of Yeti or 9-11 dollars for 48oz of FBS. Easy choice for me! FBS every time.
    cindyjeffsmith and pitweasel like this.
  38. SirWalkAbout

SirWalkAbout Savant (290) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Ten Fidy for sure
    JxExM likes this.
  39. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I agree with parts of most comments here. Apples to oranges however if I had to only choose one to drink it would be FBS hands down. Much smoother than Fidy. Fidy has a bitter finish to it which I could not drink as often. Just my opinion.
  40. pitweasel

pitweasel Advocate (540) New York Jun 11, 2007

FBS for me all day long. Last time I even bought Ten Fidy was when I found two year old cans - in cold storage - for $11 a four pack. Even then, I found myself thinking that I wouldn't buy it again unless it was a similar price/age ratio. Fresh (and closer to $15 a four pack now), I don't even think about purchasing it. But again, personal preference.
    Kadonny likes this.