1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ten FIDY vs. Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Apples and oranges... Ones mega coffee, ones mega roasty. That said, I prefer fidy. I draft its just ridiculous
    SalukiAlum likes this.
  2. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Savant (310) Dec 1, 2012

Something about ten fidy being in a can had me pass on it, not sure why... ill have to pick it up next time i have the chance.
  3. kempshark

kempshark Aficionado (150) Florida Jul 22, 2009

I sort of agree with this.......I think Ten Fidy fresh is a totally different beer and much harsher. Ten Fidy with some age on it smooths out a little, but I still think I prefer Founders Breakfast Stout much more. Of course I can't get Founders where I live. I have only had it at local beer tastings (twice this year) and went back for as many samples as I could get before the keg ran out!! ;)

I do agree that Ten Fidy on draft is a different animal than fresh from the can. I have only had Breakfast Stout on draft, so it may not be a fair comparison?
  4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

Love 'em both and neither brewery is distributed here. This is why I load up when I can. My bro-in-law just brought me 16 cans of Ten Fidy, but I haven't had FBS in over a year. I wouldn't bitch if I could get either or both year round.
  5. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (750) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Very close, but FBS wins for overall drinkability. Ten FIDY is still f'n delicious, though.
  6. Dennoman

Dennoman Savant (495) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

Had them both, but FBS was a year old and already seriously lacking in any flavor profile whatsoever. That shouldn't happen with an imperial stout. Therefore: Ten Fidy by a country mile.

KBS > Ten Fidy though.
  7. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (530) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

You can't have an active exchange of ideas with the reviews. If you don't like these threads, simply ignore them. Nobody will miss your shitting.
  8. Well, looks like this thread turned out to be a successful, fun discussion. Good idea, OP.

I love both, but I find myself pumping the brakes on drinking Ten Fiddy due to its cost. Its more expensive, and I know once its gone, it will cost more to refill that spot in my fridge. So maybe that has something to do with my choice. For me, its FBS. Tasty.
  9. Agree with this post 100%, my thoughts exactly.
  10. Good thing he got rid of that Chicago Bear emblem as his avatar, because watching the Bears and hoping they win the division was a waste of time as well. :) It's never good to waste time. Oh wait, what am I doing on here? ;)

Go Packers!!!

p.s. I like FBS better, but both are worth drinking.
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (355) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

And for the record, I prefer apples to oranges.
    nickapalooza86 likes this.
  12. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Another vs.? I guess just for the hell of it I'll say Ten Fidy. I've only had FBS once or twice, but really don't regard it as one of the better stouts I've had. Fidy is great, and much easier to get it seems like. (I live in CO so doubt that's the same for most). If anyone made a stop at OB during "Fidy Fest" -where you can find all kinds of crazy versions of Fidy, it that would probably change a few minds.
  13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Espresso Yeti is much more aggressive to me, but I still prefer it to FBS as well. The price notwithstanding.
  14. Apples to oranges here for me. Two different styles. Saying that, if i was comparing the can to the bottle i take ten fidy. If im comparing tap vs tap i love FBS. I had ten fidy on tap friday, it was actually too chocolate forward for me. Kinda reminded me of a southern tier beer. To each their own!
  15. abraxel

abraxel Savant (375) Michigan Aug 28, 2009

Coffee always fades. Judging a coffee stout based on a year-old bottle is similar to doing the same with an IPA. It's in season right now, you should give a fresh bottle a try!
  16. Dennoman

I quite regularly have 5-year old Beer Geek Breakfast - which is not even an imperial - and that still has plenty of coffee. Just saying that people let FBS off easily just because it's Founders. No flavor profile should be this weak after a year of proper cellaring. I've had plenty of older IPAs (not double or imperial) that were still fine after a year hop-wise. The one-year old FBS was one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had, likely because it was hyped to the gills. I'm not exactly a hardliner when it comes to fresh beer, on the contrary in fact: if a beer doesn't develop at least interestingly (for better or worse) with age, it's not a great beer for me. Even a decent IPA can age well, with more of that pineapple maltiness coming to the foreground.
  17. I like both and will buy both.

Ten Fidy vs FIS is a more appropriate comparison.
    dennis3951, Irishize75 and Brew33 like this.
  18. Here in CT I've seen Ten Fidy recently for $17/4 pack. I know it's a highly rated brew but I've yet to drop the money on it because I can get Old Raspy ($10) or FBS ($12) and be more than happy. MAybe someone will hook me up with a can of Ten Fidy and I'll be transported to beervana. Until then I'll probably stick with the delicious cheaper options.
  19. This is not a great comparison to make as FBS is overwhelming coffee taste which is great if you like coffee and the ten fidy has no coffee but more of a roasty chocolate smooth flavor. Recently i did a ten fidy veritical 2009-11 it was excellent but i tend to prefer that coffee flavor and will have to roll with the Founder breakfast stout. It would be much better to compare two similar tasting brew than the vast apple to oranges comparison here LOL
  20. MegC

MegC Zealot (80) Virginia Nov 26, 2012

I've had a 2- and 3-year old beer geek breakfast and loved them both..is it worth letting one sit for 5 years just to try?

I've also had a year old FBS and was thoroughly disappointed as well- I love it fresh but wouldn't bother with an aged one.

That being said, ten fidy for me.
  21. Sourkehd

Sourkehd Zealot (90) Massachusetts Dec 10, 2012

Ten Fidy all day.
  22. I'd go FBS over Fidy by a hair. Cost definitely comes into play, but I wouldn't throw either out of bed...
  23. I love roasted stouts and coffee stouts but FBS all the way. The flavor is just amazing and I haven't a stout that tastes like it yet. Ten Fidy is really good and more balanced among the typical flavors of imperial stouts. But it's also more expensive. Then again, Founders doesn't get distributed here so I have to jump through more hoops to get my hands on FBS
  24. Ten Fidy for me. Both are great, but Ten Fidy is up there for favorite stouts. Bourbon-barrell aged Ten Fidy at Oskar Blues... Beautiful.
  25. Dennoman

To be honest I wouldn't know how they evolve. I just have the 5-year old because they were still 22 oz bottles in 2007 :p
  26. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Ten Fidy, again no contest especially when compared to this year's FBS which tastes like watery coffee - yuck.

Then again, I'm the same guy that thinks KBS is just "ok" (but I love CBS and BH).
  27. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Advocate (595) Colorado Jan 20, 2012

Why pay the same to drink more of a sub-par beer? You may as well start drinking Guiness with that logic...
  28. KYzac

KYzac Aficionado (115) Kentucky Jun 27, 2009

Apples. Apples are better.
  29. I think Ten fidy tastes like the can at any temperature it should be bottled.
    It's FBS all the way
  30. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

For what it's worth Ten Fidy is brewed with oats so you can say they are both imperial oatmeal stouts...

I probably prefer Ten Fidy but buy Breakfast Stout more often because it's $10/4pk instead of $15/4pk.
    Or-
    When I want apples, I drink Ted Fidy. When I want oranges, I drink Breakfast Stout.
  31. I currently have both in my fridge right now and find myself grabbing them for very different reasons. Both are awesome, but I find FBS to be more 'sessionable' while Fidy is the one I pick when I'm in the mood for a sipper. However I usually don't sip it:oops:
  32. joshwith

joshwith Aficionado (160) Colorado Feb 19, 2011

Ten Fidy on nitro is crazy. but I love the taste of FBS... but FBS is much more difficult for me to get. so FBS. mainly because its more of a treat for me to have.

33. Just because they are different animals doesn't mean this thread is worthless. If it promotes active discussion about craft beer I'd say it has a function. Also, you must be really bored if responding to wortheless threads is on your to-do list.
  34. Srs.
  35. dsal89

dsal89 Advocate (505) Indiana Jul 6, 2008

Well i just had my first few cans the past couple days and i have made my decision.

Price not a problem-Ten Fidy

Price a problem-FBS

Both are great though. Like comparing Jessica Biel and Jessica Alba, you would be happy with either of them in your mouth......

...this took an unexpected turn :)
  36. hardy008

hardy008 Champion (760) Minnesota Jan 12, 2008

I can't choose which is better. They are both outstanding.
  37. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (555) California Dec 12, 2009

I say FBS but maybe its because I have to trade every time I want to have this awesome beer. I mean I can get Ten Fidy at the store so it doesn't seem that special to me!!
  38. I really expected to come in here and find Fidy running away with it ... WRONG-O .... I'm a Fidy fan ... I like FBS a lot, especially this years but Fidy just does it for me.
  39. I wouldn't kick either out of bed for eating crackers.
    haddon likes this.