1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ten FIDY vs. Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mcrago, Dec 9, 2012.

1. haddon

haddon Savant (285) Kentucky Jul 13, 2009

both are great but Ten Fidy wins with me.

2. Ten Fidy. Don't know how anyone could call this beer overrated. It's amazing! (I had my first can two nights ago)

3. Ten Fidy any day over FBS!

4. jdaddy

jdaddy Savant (310) Pennsylvania Nov 19, 2010

5. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

I think the claims of "overrated" are mainly due to the higher price compared to similar offerings. For instance at my local TW it's $15.99 I believe for a 4-pack of Ten FIDY, while Expedition Stout (a superior beer IMO) goes for $16.99 a sixer.

That said, I think Ten FIDY is great and have a couple cans left in my fridge right now... But considering I've already gone through 3 cases of FBS this season, it's rather obvious which one is my favorite of the two. :cool:

6. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

Both are excellent beers. I would be tough to choose one or the other. I wish both were distributed here.

7. Both are solid stouts but FBS is cheaper so it wins.

8. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Savant (490) Illinois Sep 1, 2008

Mactintosh vs. Golden Delicious would be a better analogy because they are both apples with different flavor profiles.

9. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

Breakfast Stout, hands down. Ten Fidy is syrupy and boozy.

10. You say that like it's a universal negative.

11. I believe this is synonymous with delicious and amazing .... :)

fujindemon74 likes this.
  12. Hilarious..."Devolve into inane banter" Anyone else find this comment, based on its message to be a little bit ironic? Just a tad?

szmnnl99 likes this.
  13. SenorHops

SenorHops Savant (385) Rhode Island Aug 10, 2010

It is to me. I wasn't trying to state a universal opinion, just my own.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  14. I figured, but I've read so much stuff BAs post in threads & reviews such as "it's a boozy mess" instead of "the alcohol is not well integrated/masked/hidden imo" or "I don't personally care for a strong barrel note", etc. Some people might actually like this and/or the brewer may have actually intended the beer to be like this.

Wasn't trying to, nor am I presently, flame/pick a fight.
    It's clear you don't care for Ten Fidy and that's perfectly fine.
    More Ten Fidy for me ;)

15. PersianKittie

PersianKittie Aspirant (45) Dec 22, 2012

The baby on the label is just adorable so of course FBS.

16. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Well the good news for 2013 is FBS is expanding to a sixer, I prefer the FBS but have to hand it to Ten Fidy in being amazingly smooth and creamy in mouthfeel from what I have had since it came to Ohio. Gotta try the cans I've only had it via growler purchase.

17. My vote is Ten Fidy on tap.

18. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Had never tried either until last night when I had my first FBS. I was shocked (in a great way) how smooth it was and the perfect balance of the coffee flavor. Big, big fan.

I have a Ten Fidy, haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

19. bought some Ten Fidy the day it hit stores this year, one of my all time favorites.

havent bought a single FBS this year.

but thats just me.

20. alamode

alamode Savant (330) Massachusetts Mar 25, 2007

Ten Fidy all the way

21. Baker's chocolate is dark, dry, less sweet, and slightly bitter. None of those qualities are in Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate. Stuff is like straight dutch milk chocolate.

22. I had both for the first time this year and thoroughly enjoyed each one. I agree that both have totally different flavor profiles. I'd probably find myself drinking ten fidy late night, while I enjoy FBS with/as breakfast on the weekends or mid-day. Price definitely comes into play for me, so I drink FBS more frequently. It's around $10-11 around me while Ten Fidy is $15.99.

23. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

I enjoy the FBS. It's not my favorite thing ever, as I tend to prefer the more assertive nature of an imperial stout. Damn good beer though. I should be getting my first taste of Ten Fidy next weekend, and I can't wait.

24. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

Not 2012

Thin, artificial, mess

25. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (530) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Agree with both being different, obviuosly. Slightly leaning towards FBS because I'm a coffee lover. But both great!!!

26. Ten Fidy is far superior IMHO. FBS is a WAAAAAAAAY over rated stout! It's certainly a good beer... but a 99? WTF? No depth of flavor in either the nose or the taste. It's all black coffee! That's it! It's a one note guitar solo!