1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Tentative tap list for Big Wood

Discussion in 'US - Northwest' started by bifrost17, Nov 20, 2012.

1. not a fan here

crushedvol likes this.
  2. Probably my favorite but I love barrel heavy beers.

crushedvol and Lazerlobe like this.
  3. Anybody have the liquid Blueberry Muffin from Black Raven (forgot the name). Very strange but I ended up really enjoying that one

crushedvol likes this.
  4. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (380) Washington Sep 7, 2009

Not to derail but I thought there were plenty of rare beers today that were in fact from WA! Good job local guys:)

5. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

My buddy had that and I took a few sips, really awesome beer, especially the nose, and the nitro made it that much better.

6. Lazerlobe

Lazerlobe Savant (305) Washington Mar 1, 2010

North Sound was my top as well, what a show stopper! Singularity, American Flanders and the Black Raven Blueberry Pale were top choices too.

7. I too was disappointed. Like drinking liquid licorice.

My favorite was Consecration. As a sour noob, I love thus beer. Also had the Cascade Blackcap Raspberry. Thought it was OK but didn't stand up to the Consecration IMHO.

8. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Did you try Cuvee de Tomme? Honestly one of the greatest sours I've had, if you didn't try it you should go back and get some if it's still there.

9. That's funny. I chose Consecration over Cuvée de Tomme as my first beer. I'll head back after work. Thanks.

bifrost17 likes this.
  10. I'm starting to wonder if this is the same beer I tried at HUB over the summer listed as Army of Darkness 11.1%. The one at Bigwood is listed as Army of Darkness "brouwers 6th anniversary" 10.5%. Maybe they are different batches. Either way I went home from the pub with a growler and split it with a fellow BA and we both thought it was phenomenal.

11. I don't think it is. I remember having a HUB Army of Darkness at Fred Fest and it was listed as being aged in Elijah Craig barrels. I tend to really enjoy beers aged in EC barrels and that Army of Darkness was one of my favorites of the day at Fred Fest. I ordered one yesterday and it was not the same beer.

12. It wasn't the barrel treatment that turned me off but what I think was the base beer. I don't know if it was brewed with star anise, but I disliked it.

13. I'm convinced it's just not the same beer. That's too bad cause it was serious business.

14. Well done you sleuth you. Well this is too bad because I led you all astray. The real army of darkness is the shit and I hope you all get to enjoy it one day. Cheers

15. That's all right. This oversight only cost me $9.

16. Had Pannepeuch and My Blueberry Nightmare and liked them both.

Drinking liquid liquorice actually sounds good to me.

17. Yeah, I don't know about the base beer itself. I was just saying that it was definitely different from what I had in Portland at Fred Fest in May. And it was nowhere near as good.

18. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Savant (350) Washington Sep 11, 2011

I had the HUB Brouwer's 6th at The Burgundian during their Coffee Beer Fest. I really enjoyed it at that time and it was definitely different than the version at Big Wood. Seems like quite a few variations on that beer/those beers.

19. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

Consecration is my favorite of the four basic RR sours.

20. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Savant (320) Washington May 13, 2010

I had the Brouwers VI at Burgundian earlier in the year, and it was not barrel aged. Also I had not heard of Army of Darkness as part of the name until Bigwood, and that beer was definitely barrel aged. The two barrel variants theory seems reasonable.