1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Terrapin Mega Update

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by jcb7472, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (470) Florida Jul 13, 2011

Some of these beers sound awesome...Cinnamon Rolled WnB, White Chocolate MooHoo, Dr. Krunkles Farmhouse IPA, etc...

From BeerPulse.com:

(Athens, GA) – Terrapin Beer Company commissioned its new 100-barrel Rolec brewhouse in January and has had a big year as a result.
    Terrapin co-founder, John Cochran, reported this on his blog on Thursday:
    In July of 2013, Terrapin sold 4,030 barrels of beer. That’s 8,060 kegs. Or 55,533 cases. Or 124,930 gallons of beer. In only one month! What really brought the significance of this number home to me was when I realized it was more beer than we sold in all of 2002, 2003 and 2004 combined.
    Fittingly, the company’s other co-founder, Spike Buckowski, joined the Under My Host podcast this week to discuss, among other things, growth and the industry at large.
    Buckowski touched on the industry and new breweries. As an established 11 year-old brewery in ten states, coming off of a $3.8 million expansion, Terrapin finds itself in a solid position to grow. That said, following the lead of some fellow incumbent breweries, Buckowski exuded caution, re-telling a story in which an old friend of his said that he just wanted to find breweries like Sierra Nevada or Bell’s on tap but they were being taken over by local brands, “only half of which were good” (in the words of his old friend).
    Another topic that came up is contracting which Buckowski referred to as a double-edged sword. Heavy Seas’ founder, Hugh Sisson, coming down on contracting in the past came up and Buckowski noted that it was kind of strange given they contracted a batch of beer at Heavy Seas previously. Buckowski is fine with contracting under the right principals but is concerned when a company is contracting with the intent to eventually flip the business.
    Buckowski revealed that Terrapin contracted recently up at Two Roads Brewing Company, which has the same brewing system as Terrapin. Buckowski went up to Connecticut to brew and can a beer called RecreationAle. The beer is available now and Buckowski expected another 500 barrels of the beer to make their way down south this week.
    In other news…
    Terrapin Dr. Krunkles White Farmhouse IPA is still in the tanks.
    When Terrapin brews Moo-Hoo, it will brew one tank of White Chocolate Moo-Hoo.
    When Terrapin brews Wake-n-Bake, it will brew one tank of “Cinnamon Rolled” Wake-n-Bake. Buckowski says it will be “breakfast in a glass.”
    Terrapin will brew a pineapple smoked German Helles Lager.
    Terrapin will collaborate with Swamp Head Brewery in Gainesville to brew what will likely be an English Bitter with Georgia peaches and Florida oranges. The name of the beer will be “Bitter Rivalry.”
    Terrapin will collaborate with Cigar City Brewing (no details).
    Terrapin plans to work with Richland Rum to source some rum barrels for what Buckowski hopes will be a big beer with pecans (from a local farm).
    Buckowski will fly out to England with several other U.S. brewers to brew for JD Wetherspoons’ real ale fest.
    Last but not least, Buckowski says that three people (out of a possible four) claimed the golden tickets from the company’s Georgia Theatre sweepstakes a while back. The winners received a lifetime pass to shows at the rebuilt Georgia Theatre.

2. powerss13

powerss13 Aficionado (170) Kansas Apr 5, 2009

I love Terrapin....too bad I can't get it here...:(

creepinjeeper likes this.
  3. Wow, look at all those new beers! I want to try all them...especially the White Chocolate Moo-Hoo and the "Cinnamon Rolled" Wake-n-Bake. I'm gonna buy the crap out of both of them when they're released.

Just one question, how much is one tank of beer equal to in terms of bottles/cases? I'm assuming with them only brewing one tank of each of these stouts, they will be difficult to come by.

4. Infinite1

Infinite1 Savant (360) Illinois Jul 2, 2010

White Chocolate Moo-Hoo please

RedneckBeerz likes this.
  5. spitshaded

spitshaded Savant (345) Virginia Nov 12, 2012

CinnamonRolled W&B & White Chocolate MooHoo sound amazing.
    ...Not really expecting to find any though.

6. 305BEER

305BEER Aficionado (165) Florida Jan 4, 2011

I had recreation-ale a few days ago. It was solid and it's supposed to be 14$ for a 12pack

7. Infinite1

I cant wait to set up a trade for the White Chocolate

8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (835) New York Dec 13, 2009

Iso iso iso!

9. I know someone's theater room fridge that will be stocked with all of the above. I'll have to make room by removing the 2012 WnB though..... FT: WnB? Who knows.

10. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Uh, yes please.

11. Ya'll are assuming that they are going to bottle White Chocolate and Cinnamon WnB

Tgonter likes this.
  12. Whether it be bottle, or growler, I'll have a fridge full. It may very well be tap only, it would make sense.

13. Infinite1

Either way I have some traders in NC and SC that would probably get me a growler

14. Cant decide if Im more excited for White Chocolate Moo-Hoo or Cinnamon Rolled WnB.

OldhouseRecs and RedneckBeerz like this.
  15. jivex5k

jivex5k Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

I feel bad every time I drink a Terrapin because of Coors stake in them...but they make awesome beer, and it's not a GI situation where the entire brewery is owned....
    I wish they would just buy their stake back.

16. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Excited to see what CCB & Terrapin put together.

velcrogrip and jcb7472 like this.
  17. The correct answer is: Yes

VncentLIFE likes this.
  18. cyrushire

cyrushire Advocate (655) Florida May 25, 2012

I dream of trying the both together, much like I drink the regular versions. Cinnamon white chocolate wake n moos? yes please!

spitshaded likes this.
  19. ndepriest

ndepriest Savant (290) Georgia Feb 21, 2012

Because of Georgia's outdated beer laws, they'll have no option other than bottling.

20. They couldn't release it in kegs only?

Zach136 likes this.
  21. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

I can't think of many draft only Terrapin releases that weren't brewery only (for festivals) or for other special events. I think small amounts of Substance Abuse and Big Sloppy Monster used to pop up at bars in GA occasionally, but those aren't exactly large scale draft only releases.

22. ndepriest

But they can't sell it at the brewery. They can't do growler fills, so if they don't bottle it, they can only send it to bars, and there's a pretty limited market for that.

velcrogrip and chefkevlar like this.
  23. gaweso

gaweso Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 23, 2009

The first run of Tree Hugger was draft only, and the Twilight Kolsch has always been.

mwgroove23 likes this.
  24. gaweso

gaweso Aficionado (125) Georgia Jan 23, 2009

Don't forget growler shops. Yeah, the market for draft only is limited, but it's big enough for one tank.

25. Im going to buy a second fridge and reserve it solely for Cinnamon Rolled WnB.

gjoker321 likes this.
  26. Both sound absolutely awesome. I'll keep my fingers crossed the bottles get large enough distro to get some, but if not I'm sure kegs will make an appearance at Brewvival at the very least.

RedneckBeerz likes this.
  27. mondegreen

Good call on Tree Hugger. Even though it pops up at bars and growler shops, I'd consider the Kolsh a special event beer, since it's brewed for the Twilight Criterium.

gjoker321 likes this.
  28. mondegreen

Is anyone else concerned with the price point of the Cinnamon WnB? With regular WnB jumping to $13/4pack last year, the variant has the potential to go even higher. It's going to start bumping into KBS's price point soon.

Terrapin8 likes this.

29. Saw it around SC frequently for 9.99-10.99. Still on the shelves locally in that price range.

Bung and Bluecane like this.
  30. mondegreen

9.99 was the 2011 and previous price in Athens. It was 12.99 in Athens in 2012. It's probably still on shelves at that price in some places around here.

31. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'll be getting both of those releases when they come out. Draft only or bottles!

Looking forward to when they do some bigger batches of BBA WnB..

32. GABrew

GABrew Advocate (520) Georgia May 5, 2013

Anyone seen 2012 WnB sitting around shelves in the ATL area (especially south side)? Trying to locate some to take on a road trip for a buddy and it's long gone at all my usual haunts.

33. gunhaver

gunhaver Savant (455) Florida May 27, 2007

it'll be yum.

gjoker321 and jcb7472 like this.
  34. gdodd12

gdodd12 Aficionado (205) Georgia Oct 1, 2009

And growler stores, of which there are shit-tons of now. Look at Burnt Hickory. They don't bottle anything.

35. ndepriest

Burnt Hickory also doesn't have nearly the amount of product that Terrapin does. I'm willing to bet that one tank at Terrapin is a good deal larger than a full run at Burnt Hickory.

Either way, it's senseless to argue about. It will be in bottles or it won't. We'll know soon enough.

Terrapin8 likes this.
  36. Infinite1

I can't wait

RedneckBeerz likes this.
  37. Spaten454

Spaten454 Savant (380) Louisiana Aug 23, 2012

CCB & Terrapin with a barrel-aged Huna/WnB blend haha.

305BEER likes this.
  38. Just a timely bump. Looks like the White Choc Moo Hoo label has been exposed by Beer Street Journal, which at least means we'll be able to buy bombers of this delicacy!

[​IMG]

White Chocolate Moo Hoo!

39. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Moderator (655) Georgia Feb 12, 2012 Staff Member

I'll be all over that like stink on shit..

I'll be grabbing a case of it like I did Liquid Bliss.

40. The Dr. Krunkles hit the raleigh market today