1. The BeerAdvocate Store is back! Pre-order your stuff now. Items begin shipping Dec 15. Christmas deadline = Dec 18 @ 5pm EST.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Terrapin Wake n Bake vs. Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by timahood32, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Which of this 2 brews do you prefer? I personal would have to say founders BS mainly because, i think it has a richer mouth feel but they are both great coffee stouts that i really look forward to each year.

2. I would have to take Wake N' Bake if it was readily available in Michigan. I tried it for the first time in the last year and have had it side by side with FBS and just found it to be more suitable to my tastes. Truth is both are fantastic and wouldn't turn either down.

3. First post, two of my favorite beers.

I prefer a fresh Wake n Bake. The coffee taste is a lot stronger, which I enjoy. The chocolate of the Founder's mellows out the coffee a bit. Founder's and an aged Wake n Bake are pretty similar.

I can't wait until one of my local shops gets a shipment of WnB in, I'll probably buy a case. I've already had a case of Breakfast Stout this year.

LuisQ and PABSTMASTER like this.
  4. egrace84

egrace84 Champion (845) Illinois Mar 25, 2012

I actually prefer wake n bake and peche mortel both over FBS, but I also think it might have a little to do with them being a lot more difficult to get my hands on than the FBS, so I don't get to drink them that often.

5. I find Wake n Bake to be a bit smoother whereas FBS is a bit harsher more bitter/stronger coffee profile. All things considered, I lean towards Wake n Bake now.

6. Wake n bake > fbs.

7. FBS.. love both though

8. I can get a 750ml of Speedway Stout year round for the same price as a 12oz bottle of Peche Mortel (I live in PA :( , bought over a case worth in Montreal while on recent honeymoon though :eek: ) and FBS isn't readily available year round. Wake n Bake is hit or miss when it comes to availability when I'm shopping.

So I'll take Speedway every day.

vurt and ChanChan like this.
  9. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

WnB all the way for me! It is THE beer that got me into craft (or beer in general for that matter). But I never turn down FBS either. Both are fantastic. I just prefer the coffee flavor in WnB and I think it ages a bit more gracefully than FBS. I'm lookin forward to getting my annual case of fresh WnB here in the next week or so once it shows up in stores...

LambicPentameter and ThatCracker like this.
  10. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Is wake n bake out? I looked last time I was at the bottle shop in NC and I didn't see any. Might be worth the drive to Athens and getting a hotel to go 'tour' Terrapin when WnB is on!

IL_PLAY_RAGS likes this.
  11. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (370) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

Anyone had Tweak from Avery? (Formerly Meph Addict) I think it holds its own against any coffee stout. (Even though it's quite the monster at 15% or above, so slightly different.

12. j47paco

j47paco Savant (360) California Dec 19, 2010

Hey TK, thanks again for these brews!

I just did a side by side of the 2 yesterday with my brother and enjoyed them both quite a bit. However, I would say that FBS edges WnB out. I enjoyed the velvety mouthfeel and the balance of the chocolate in the FBS. I got more coffee in the WnB which gave it just a slight harshness in the finish. Of course, I'm just splitting hairs at this point and would gladly enjoy either one again if given the opportunity. Cheers!

13. WNB is one of my annual favorites and doesn't get the props is deserves... I'll take it over almost any other stout, including FBS... Unfortunately, looking at my current sout backlog (Brooklyn BCS, FBS, and some Speedway), I won't be investing in anything more than a 4-pack... Cheers...

14. You say that like it's a bad thing :eek:

15. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

This is tough to say I think I like FBS more but will wait for the WnB to do a side by side. I do love both of them though and look forward to them every year.

16. 2beerdogs

2beerdogs Champion (800) California Jan 31, 2005

FBS is good, for me a bit overhyped, but i've been curious about Wake N Bake.

17. Demer

Demer Aficionado (245) New Jersey Dec 13, 2010

Both are great I think Im more partial to FBS though.

18. Zach136

Zach136 Advocate (560) Georgia Jun 17, 2012

They had a brewery release day last Friday. It should be going out to the distributors any day now.

This event would be worth the drive to Athens: https://www.facebook.com/events/493645107336468/

Lucky for me I'm already here :)

musicman7070 likes this.
  19. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Glad you enjoyed them Juan! I'd be happy to send more any time.

20. mondegreen

mondegreen Savant (420) Georgia Nov 4, 2009

My vote is for Wake n Bake, although FBS is good, too. WnB is the only beer from Terrapin that I'd consider a go-to.

21. Both are great, I'd probably go with FBS

If you haven't tried it yet, New Belgium's LOF Chocolate Coffee Imperial Stout deserves to be in the discussion IMO. The ratings here don't reflect that, but I think it's in the same league.

22. Ha! Damn, I can't decide! Both are great, suppose I prefer WnB though.

23. I like both beers. Which ever one is in my glass is my favorite.

24. Rymar9

Rymar9 Savant (285) South Carolina Jan 24, 2011

Both are great, but wake n bake takes the cake! One of my favorite seasonals period!

Bluecane likes this.
  25. I prefer WnB to FBS. I found FBS to be a bit more harsh up front, whereas WnB is mellow from the start. I went to a WnB tasting in my area last week, and apparently from what the Terrapin representative said, they can no longer call it "Wake n Bake" due to some not so subtle references to illegal activities. So I guess it is just going to be Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Stout now.

26. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

Short's Cup a Joe>>>>>FBS>WnB

I love them all, just glad I live in Michigan and can get Short's and can settle for FBS when it is gone.

27. Wake
    N
    Bake

28. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (440) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Wake n bake.

29. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Savant (485) Florida May 29, 2011

WnB for me. I just really dig the huge dark chocolate & roasted coffee combo that I think outdoes FBS. I've had both within the last week and they are both aged (11').

30. FBS >>>> WnB by miles. well not miles but FBS by a good bit

31. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Gimme a rosey cheeked baby from Michigan over a stoned Georgian turtle. But they're both good.

paulys55 likes this.
  32. Why are you making me chose?
    Can't I just love them both?
    They are both fantastic and I will end up drinking plenty of each.
    And don't forget some Moo-Hoo as well.

33. randjuke

randjuke Aficionado (205) Iowa Feb 13, 2010

Wake N Bake - less bitter then the FBS and the coffee seemed better integrated.

Bluecane likes this.
  34. elgiacomo

elgiacomo Savant (460) Georgia Jun 28, 2007

Love 'em both, I'm a sucker for coffee stouts, but fresh WnB is just unreal. Like drinking chocolate-covered gourmet coffee beans. I'll be picking up at least 2 cases when it comes out within (hopefully) the next week...

35. I did a side by side of these two beers last winter, and for me FBS was a little more of a one note coffee bomb while WnB wa a bit more rounded and smooth.

36. I like both, but for me WnB is a little better.

37. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Tennessee Feb 6, 2012

Dang, we're having our Xmas sweater party Saturday, or I'd be on my way. Funky fest was great and I know we'll back for that next year.

38. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (835) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

Wow, I love FBS. But if this many people are saying Terrapin's WnB is better.... I need to get my hands on that shit, stat.

BeerBuddy2122 and cavedave like this.
  39. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Rushing Duck Planet Bean Porter kicks both their asses in every way possible.

If I had to choose just one of the two, FBS or WnB, I would pick WnB for sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.