1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Terrapin Wake n Bake vs. Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by timahood32, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey bartender.... one of each, thanks.
    AndyAvalanche and Blueribbon666 like this.
  2. kdmcguire10

kdmcguire10 Savant (365) Michigan Jul 15, 2011

What he said. Have to agree that Cup A Joe is just outstanding.
  3. Hey you and Kevin cheated I didn't see Cup of Joe in the choices!!! :) I repent, I'll take Cup of Joe anyday, been sipping on it since Friday and will be so sad when it's gone.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Slight edge to FBS, but I would take Peche Mortel over both.
    jk3 likes this.
  5. Handle

Handle Savant (370) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

Both great beers, and as this thread shows it really just comes down to personal preference. I prefer Wake-n-Bake by a good bit, as I think it has a roastier profile.
    CBlack85 likes this.
  6. shebby

shebby Savant (280) Utah Feb 29, 2012

I don't know what was up, but I had my first WnB this weekend (2011) and it had a strange sour taste that was pretty offputting. I could tell that behind it was a tasty beer and I did get some good coffee notes, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had that experience. Maybe I shouldn't have consumed it out of my insulated coffee mug at 8 in the morning...

Yes! Tweak is great. Too bad they don't bottle it. It's much heavier than FBS, but from what I remember it's better, too.
    Ricelikesbeer likes this.
  7. dawg1969

dawg1969 Aficionado (140) Florida Aug 9, 2010

Wake n Bake! Though the BS is insane!
  8. WnB all day. i prefer it waaaay over fbs Nd kbs and even cbs. its just silky smooth to me.
  9. Goosey

Goosey Aficionado (240) Missouri Jan 18, 2012

FBS, especially with 6 months to a year on it.
  10. For me it's a tie for fbs and wake n bake, CCB Moat Water now thats a beast with the same abv but the mouthfeel of a shake, I hope it becomes a regular in their lineup.
  11. ncaudle

ncaudle Advocate (605) Virginia May 28, 2010

fresh? FBS > WnB
    aged? WnB > FBS

(Peche Mortel is better than both fresh or aged and I really like Alewerks Coffeehouse Stout over both FBS/WnB fresh)
    hornsup likes this.
  12. mjcorbin33

mjcorbin33 Disciple (60) Florida May 16, 2012

Founders Breakfast Stout squeaks out the win!
  13. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

BTW: I recently talked to an Avery rep, and they do plan to bottle tweak! Apparently they've been bugging Adam Avery to bottle it for a while, and its a big hit with the staff too. Score for us!
    shebby likes this.
  14. Wake n' Bake.
  15. QuentinCall

QuentinCall Savant (260) Georgia Sep 30, 2011

Wake and Bake is one of the best beers in Georgia and definitively embarrasses FBS.
    Honestly, if we're being fair, it's not even close.
    DaveAnderson and bcostner1 like this.
  16. Sneers

Sneers Savant (385) New Jersey Dec 27, 2009

I remember FBS being rounder, richer and smoother with all of the flavor components there in balance, which is great.

I remember WNB having sharper coffee and roast flavors, and to be a bit drier than FBS.

I remember both being delicious.
  17. Monnie

Monnie Aficionado (120) New Jersey Nov 17, 2012

Ew- Breakfast Stout ALL the way.
  18. Haven't tried Wake n Bake yet but will once it comes out. Can't wait to try it since I love me some FBS, one of my favorite beers.
  19. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Savant (350) Colorado Nov 29, 2006

How about everyone blends them and that will end the debate right there. There can be no argument which is better when they become the same beer.... :)
  20. Breakfast Stout! While it lasts, we still have some. In the S. Central PA area? $69.99/ case.
    [​IMG]
  21. BMitch

BMitch Aficionado (235) Virginia Jul 10, 2012

Bumping this thread as I'm drinking my very first Wake n Bake ever...

Let me just state that FBS is easily one of my favorite beers; in fact I've already gone through 3 cases of it since it was released this year. So with that said...I honestly might have to hand the title over to WNB. This stuff is FANTASTIC! So much so that I feel the urge to drive over to my bottle shop right now to scoop up the last couple cases that they have lol.
  22. mmikey8

mmikey8 Savant (270) California Aug 2, 2012

Must try WnB now. FBS is one of my favorites!
  23. soughtbygod

soughtbygod Savant (260) California Apr 27, 2011

WNB this year at leat, 2010 FBS would win though
  24. Honestly, they are pretty similar brews..both excellent. I like the taste of WNB a little better, but FBS is a little fuller and thicker so its a draw to me.
  25. bcostner1

bcostner1 Savant (280) Tennessee Sep 8, 2010

This isn't even close...WNB blows FBS away in my opinion. It is amazing (hence my avatar!) :)
    And while we're on the topic of coffee/breakfast stouts, Epic Big Bad Baptist also blows FBS away and, I feel, gets very little recognition for being the phenomenal brew that it is.
  26. Founders would crush Terrapin in any style to style matchup. However, WnB is their best. Fbs is not founders best. Breakfast stout takes this 9 out of 10 times.
  27. Usually FBS. This year? W-n-B. I thought that FBS was a little off this year. It wasn't as thick and rich as I remember. Not too psyched to see W-n-B up to $11.99 per four-pack with FBS at $9.99 though. And yes, I'm cheap.
  28. Centennial

Centennial Savant (440) Vermont Nov 9, 2009

+1
  29. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

This year it's WnB fresh bottle vs. fresh bottle. I have some of both aging a little, so I'm curious to see how that changes them.

WnB is also more readily available to me, but I have a friend in MI that sends me some FBS every year so I guess it's just as easy.
  30. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Wish I could try the Wake N Bake, no Terrapin in NE Ohio. The stuff I've had by them while in Atlanta was all solid stuff, though I've never had this one:(
  31. Both are fantastic beers, but I would have to say that WnB is at least slightly better. I wouldn't turn down either beer, but if given the choice I prefer WnB
    Hotmetal1 likes this.
  32. raymo55

raymo55 Savant (465) Michigan Oct 3, 2011

I was hoping to see this thread with a poll.

FBS

Moving on...
  33. Maximus_Prime

Maximus_Prime Zealot (90) Colorado Sep 12, 2012

Been drinking wake n bake on tap down in fl the past few weeks and as it is good im leaning more towards the fbs. FBS has a stronger darker coffee presence and would be a drink i wouldnt mind having with bacon, eggs and pancakes every morning!
  34. ive got a 5gal of W-n-B hanging out waiting to go on at work, i like FBS but ill give the edge to W-n-B, maybe its because i hate babies and love stoned turtles though? Either way they are both exceptional. i just prefer terrapin over founders
    BMitch and codysjb like this.
  35. I love both beers. I buy more FBS because they distribute to my area. If someone pulled the 2 out and I couldn't have both I'd probably go with the WnB because it's harder to find for me. Has the full flavor and not quite as heavy as FBS, but again, both are awesome, so you win either way. Slight edge to WnB for me.
  36. nUgZ

nUgZ Savant (320) North Carolina Nov 4, 2012

Big Bad Baptist is in a completely different league from both FBS and WnB.
  37. Breakfast stout easily. the mouthfeel on wnb is too thin for my preference and the coffee is a bit too strong. my local bar has both on tap at the moment so i might do a side by side and see if my opinion changes. Had a WnB on tap last week though and wasnt impressed. i think it gets tons of local love down here which makes it rated a bit higher than it deserves.
  38. Jeffo

Jeffo Advocate (630) Netherlands Sep 7, 2008

Wake 'n Bake = 4.8
    Founders BS = 4.72

Man, both are absolutely fantastic and are at the upper regions of my ratings here. Impossible to decide. Phenomenal brews.

Jeff
    BMitch likes this.
  39. mntlover

mntlover Advocate (510) Tennessee Jun 30, 2003

Founders for me but wake bake is quite good also.
  40. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (575) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

I thought WnB had too much coffee in it but I still liked it. However, Breakfast stout is one of my top 5!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.