1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Terrapin Wake n Bake vs. Founders Breakfast Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by timahood32, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBigEast

TheBigEast Savant (270) New York Oct 21, 2004

Had both with a tasting group last night and WnB blew away FBS. We really enjoyed the 10/11 bottling of FBS when it first came out - delicious stuff. However last night it was evident that the coffee has faded and it really lacked in flavor compared to the WnB.We also opened the 11/8 bottling of FBS and its flavor was very subtle as well. Very disappointing for us after really enjoying the October bottling in the past as I stated.

2. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (605) California Oct 17, 2010

I had them side by side swearing that wnb was gonna take the cake after I tried it.
    Side by side what makes fbs so good really comes through. They are both stellar but side by side fbs was slightly better.

I wouldn't turn down either

rvajohn likes this.
  3. rvajohn

rvajohn Aficionado (245) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

I just had each back to back. I had the Founders first and WnB second. Without pondering it for a day or so, I like Founders better. Seemed to me to have a fuller taste and a little smoother. I think they are both really terrific beers though

4. mverity

mverity Savant (405) Florida Oct 6, 2012

Too funny that there's a thread about this. I was having this very discussion with my beer-minded buddy about two days ago. I haven't had FBS since last year, but W-N-B is superb. Him and I are on the lookout for some FBS in the Orlando and/or Tallahassee area so we can scoop a bunch up and do some side by side.

5. jrcmlc

jrcmlc Savant (290) Illinois Aug 8, 2011

I have last and this years of both here at the house and can tell you without a doubt that according to my tastebuds fbs is better than wnb, but I don't get nearly as much wnb, so because of the hard-to-get factor we treat them as equals. :)

6. jrcmlc

HeyJim likes this.
  7. jrcmlc

Disregard the ritz. Sorry. :)

8. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

i think WnB is like a FBS on coffee steroids both delicious but i kinda like the balance that FBS brings

Shmuffalo, denver10 and BeerBuddy2122 like this.
  9. Surprisingly, and I can't believe I'm saying this... WnB wins. Had my first last week.

I also had Victory At Sea right after and decided that one is better than both, though. ''twas a good beer night

emale619 and BeerBuddy2122 like this.
  10. jrcmlc

11. terrapinfan88

terrapinfan88 Savant (300) Virginia Nov 15, 2009

Its a mood thang for me.

If I want robust in your face coffee malt and dryer co co taste, with a bitter hop kick I go FBS. Probably only gonna have one or two.

If I got a little more of a sweet tooth, Switch it up to the WnB a little more like the Starbucks drinks you feel guilty about, and less like black coffee. A little more sweetness to tone down the roastie malts. Nice easy drinking coffee stout.

Theres always 50/50 too!

12. Terrapin. Love the buttercream icing finish.

13. My thoughts exactly...

14. Wake N Bake by a nose.... literally, the nose is better on Wake N Bake than FBS

emale619 likes this.
  15. socon67

socon67 Advocate (680) New York Jun 18, 2010

For the coffee notes I'd have to go with Wake N Bake. But I find that FBS has more complexity. The cocoa scent and flavors came through more on FBS.

16. Having both at same time right now from taps. Wnb is was more coffee forward. Bfast has more chocolate and less coffee. Both are tasty. Fbs is more balanced to me.

17. Keffa

Keffa Advocate (505) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

FBS. Wake n Bake was an overly ashy mess. FBS is smooth and delicious :)

18. DCgolfpro

DCgolfpro Savant (450) Maryland Oct 26, 2011

This years breakfast stout was a disappointment. My fiance (who isn't really a beer drinker) said, "Wake N Bake is what Breakfast Stout used to be". I can't get Speedway in DC, but I've ordered it online and I think Wake N Bake is superior. As far as Non-Barrel aged coffee stouts go, I think Wake N Bake is the best.

19. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

FBS and it isn't even close.

denver10 likes this.
  20. HeadyHops81

HeadyHops81 Zealot (95) Virginia Jul 9, 2009

Wake n Bake kills Founders Breakfast all day!!

21. mtrutlin

mtrutlin Savant (285) Colorado Apr 4, 2012

This is just a message string. All you have to do to figure out which is better is look at the reviews. FBS comes in at 4.5 whole WnB comes in at 4.29. 'Nough said

22. That's true, although the ratings are collected over a period of years. There is no way of comparing the ratings for both 2012 batches.

23. This- only I always liked Wake N Bake Better

24. denver10

denver10 Champion (890) Kentucky Nov 17, 2010

Currently enjoying my first Wake n Bake right now...great beer but I definitely prefer Breakfast Stout to it, personally.

25. Mcooly

Mcooly Savant (275) New Jersey Feb 19, 2011

Just opened both tonight and it was close, but the Breakfast Stout won out. I had my wife pour them into tasting glasses so that I could taste them blindly.

26. Picked-up my first-ever 4 pack of WnB at Wegmans yesterday; FBS >> WnB.

27. Sorry to revive this thread, but me and my girlfriend just did a side-by-side comparison of WnB, FBS and Cigar City Cubano Espresso. The clear winner was Cubano Espresso, then FBS followed by WnB but it was close. FBS definitely had the best mouthfeel but the chocolate offset the coffee flavors making it more sweet and rich. WnB had the most intense flavor and the coffee had more of a bitter, burnt taste than the other two. Cubano Espresso had the freshest and most enjoyable coffee taste but was bottled the most recently so that was to be expected. Also, Cubano had more vanilla and caramel notes. All in all, they're three excellent beers with varied attributes (for instance, Cubano is a brown ale while the other two are stouts). I just figured that, since I happened to presently have relatively fresh bottles of all three (FBS was bottled in September, WnB in December and Cubano just last month) that I might as well give them a side-by-side comparison. Cheers folks.

28. chrisp450

chrisp450 Savant (300) Minnesota Oct 23, 2012

WnB is such a fun beer. Reminds me of a chocolate chip cookie/brownie soaked in coffee. But tastes better than that sounds. Breakfast stout is great, but If just having 1 or 2, I would give the nod to WnB. Just so much sugar comes through. Yum.

Oh and, Cubano was great in its own right, but not in the same conversation to me. As a coffee beer I did really enjoy it though.

29. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I love them both but I do like wake n bake slightly better.

30. I just had my first Wake n Bake tonight and think I prefer FBS. Then again, I also brew my coffee so strong that my officemate coughs upon entering the room.

31. I'll say it: I don't care for FBS.

Don't get me wrong -- Founders makes great beer. I just find that most coffee beers remind me of stale coffee, and FBS is no exception. Without the coffee, FBS would be a great beer. But the coffee detracts from it in a significant way.

On the other hand, I enjoyed WnB quite a lot, which shocked me, because I am usually underwhelmed by coffee beers and by oatmeal stouts. So far, this is my biggest surprise of 2013.

32. I'll raise the ante and say Big Bad Baptist > CBS >>> KBS.

MCain04, smcgowan70 and ripps1 like this.
  33. Boo this man.

34. Dirtinabottle

Dirtinabottle Savant (395) New York Aug 21, 2012

"Each man is entitled to his own opinion but yours is wrong"

35. quick price check question;

Are WnB 4 packs generally marked the same as Moo-Hoo?
    My store wants nearly double (on the singles wall). I think they are hiding the 4-packs of WnB in the back.. meanwhile there are cases of Moo-Hoo sitting out on the floor. *shrug*

36. widespreadhop

widespreadhop Zealot (95) Georgia Jan 5, 2011

Here in GA Moo Hoo is $8.99 and WnB is $11.99

37. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

I prefer FBS. It's smoother and more cohesive for me. WnB is a bit overpowering with the coffee to my palate.

38. FBS is changing from 4-packs to 6-packs soon and staying the same price!

"we are going to move Breakfast Stout from a four-pack to a six-pack when it is released again in October 2013, and it will maintain the same suggested retail price of $9.99."
    http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2012/2013-availability-calendar/

The casualty is the 6 pack Red's Rye which is moving from 6 to 4 and staying the same price.

39. I like and have both but I like the W and B better.

40. Hmmm ok. Yeah I think here in MD the Moo-hoo was $8.99 or ~$2.29 for a single. And the WnB was the same price for a single but then a few days later they adjusted it up to $4.xx something. Arrgh, foiled again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.